Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 04:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,167,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Interesting that Ukraine is the only country where women drink more alcohol than men.
The scatterplot below compares the prevalence of alcohol use disorders in males versus that of females. In 2016 — with the exception of Ukraine — the prevalence of alcohol dependence in men was higher than in women across all countries.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/p...les-vs-females
There are many unfortunate women here. Probably this is the cause of alcoholism. The reason for their misfortune is unknown to me.
We were in a cafe with a Canadian man from Toronto. And he noticed that women drank and smoked too much. He was shocked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 PM

649 posts, read 570,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Been there done that as well. My ex had more than a minor drinking problem but he blamed it on other issues and said he would quit. I was young and naive so I believed him. the most important things I learned?

1. drinking is not about "other problems' it IS the problem. Don't believe someone when they say they drink only because of X, Y, or Z. They drink because they have a drinking problem. Period.

2. People do not stop drinking for YOU. It's not about you and it won't end because of you. Unless or until they see it as a problem nothing will change.
Sorry but I tend to disagree with your thinking that drinking is not about the other problems. See in a messed up mind drinking is just a temporary bandaid to the real problem.

Drugs and alcohol are a symptom of much greater issues and until that person figures out the issues and learns how to deal with the problem or even heal from whatever trauma is plaguing them they will most likely continue to self-medicate because they don't know how to deal with whatever it is that messed them up in the first place.

I don't know if this person is an addict but if she is she'll most likely pick up another addition even if she quits drinking so it's impaeative to figure out the core reasons behind the behavior or history will repeat it's self in other unhealthy ways over and over and over again.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,167,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post

Drugs and alcohol are a symptom of much greater issues and until that person figures out the issues and learns how to deal with the problem or even heal from whatever trauma is plaguing them they will most likely continue to self-medicate because they don't know how to deal with whatever it is that messed them up in the first place.

Absolutely agree!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post

Absolutely agree!
Maybe dating you makes her want to drink... lol

Old 12-14-2018, 03:24 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe dating you makes her want to drink... lol
I knew somebody was going to say that.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:28 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
I think it's necessary to determine the psychological reason. Next step is medication treatment in rehab.
I don't think alcoholics drink for a reason, other than to try to get back to a once-happy moment when alcohol worked in a good way. But, in my drinking years, that moment was unrecoverable once I went over the edge. After that, it was just a downward spiral, until I became a part of a fellowship where I learned I never had to drink again and how to do it.

Going down the AA path doesn't help everyone. Many more leave than stay. However, people who are close to an alcoholic can benefit from AlAnon. But still, many more leave than stay.

It's really sad.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:40 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I don't think alcoholics drink for a reason, other than to try to get back to a once-happy moment when alcohol worked in a good way. But, in my drinking years, that moment was unrecoverable once I went over the edge. After that, it was just a downward spiral, until I became a part of a fellowship where I learned I never had to drink again and how to do it.

Going down the AA path doesn't help everyone. Many more leave than stay. However, people who are close to an alcoholic can benefit from AlAnon. But still, many more leave than stay.

It's really sad.
Look at the world in general! It sucks! Why wouldn’t we drink to dull the pain of reality?

Denmark, I heard, is a very nice place to live so I’m not sure what happened to you. Bad friends?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Look at the world in general! It sucks! Why wouldn’t we drink to dull the pain of reality?

Denmark, I heard, is a very nice place to live so I’m not sure what happened to you. Bad friends?
I quit drinking in 1975 in Minneapolis-St.Paul. I moved to Copenhagen, Denmark in 1996.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:22 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
This is her battle, assuming she's trying to quit.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,986 times
I think it sounds like she has a bit of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships