Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 01:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toknow View Post
Are you from Mass. too?

I was told that Providence changed. I don't remember it like how you describe but I have not been there since 2005 or something.

I think I could still save money by moving in with a family member. I would like to live alone but I'd like to be in a good relationship more.

I want to give here a good shot first before I make real plans. I've been here for more than a year but it could take longer.

Originally from Mass. Lived in VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (too long but briefly), KY (briefly), and now RI as well.

Providence has had a strong arts and culinary scene for quite some time thanks to RISD and Johnson and Wales, and of course Brown dominates the intellectual scene. I've been spending time here since the late 80s, and lots in the early 90s when I dated a couple of people in PVD. It's changed, but so have I, so I really don't know what to say on that. There always have been good shows here, but I do run into a lot of NY and Boston people that were priced out of there. It doesn't have Boston's population or strength of educated professionals, but its much much cheaper. My place would be over 3X what I paid for it in the Boston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM

151 posts, read 90,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Originally from Mass. Lived in VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (too long but briefly), KY (briefly), and now RI as well.

There always have been good shows here, but I do run into a lot of NY and Boston people that were priced out of there. It doesn't have Boston's population or strength of educated professionals, but its much much cheaper. My place would be over 3X what I paid for it in the Boston area.
Own or rent? I searched for cost of rent in Providence and it still looks high.

That's a long list of states. Which one of them had the best (and the worst) dating and relationship opportunities for someone like you? Or no difference?

Old 01-30-2019, 02:31 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
I would live in Brooklyn in a heartbeat if I was in my 20s again.
NYC is now ridiculously expensive. It will get even more expensive with Amazon coming to LIC and Facebook & Google expanding in Manhattan. I guess South Bronx will have to become gentrified at some point. That is one of the biggest bad neighborhoods left in NYC.

It is hard to say if OP's dating prospects will improve here. NYC is rougher, edgier and more diverse than pretty much every other East coast city. If the OP lived in white suburban environment all her life she might be for quite a shock.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:41 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
My reasons are to save to start my own business. It is more affordable here so I can do that. I also like the men here. I have considered moving because I miss home. But my girlfriends back home haven't told me anything great about the dating scene there.

My other option is New York. What do you think?
I wouldnt advise NYC.
People arent that nice there, many are snobs of a trade,people dont treat each other well, everyone is jaded, its too expensive to live, too crowded, and people are cliquey. You can only stay in one corner of Brooklyn (Dumbo) to stay safe, but you'll be broke. Brooklyn and NYC is great to visit, but not to live. Unless you are starting a business that will be a major hit that will leave you enough profit to buy a high priced 20x20 studio condo for the next 10 years.
I was in a relationship with someone that lives in Brooklyn, people stay in brooklyn to be "cool" but they dont stay there for the long run.
If you left NYC and went someplace like the midwest (where you are) you would wish you went to the midwest earlier. The people that are around you make all the difference.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Own or rent? I searched for cost of rent in Providence and it still looks high.

That's a long list of states. Which one of them had the best (and the worst) dating and relationship opportunities for someone like you? Or no difference?

I own now, which is why I moved to PVD. I don't think rents are high here, but I moved from the Boston market.

The worst places were KY, IN and then CA.

The best, well, I was in different places at different times of my life. I loved WI (but I was in my 20s then, so I met people at shows and parties), but I dated the most in MA and didn't have any problem meeting people in the Boston area. Of course, when I was in WI OLD wasn't a thing (but I was going out almost every night), and when I was in MA it was. OLD just makes everything so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
NYC is now ridiculously expensive. It will get even more expensive with Amazon coming to LIC and Facebook & Google expanding in Manhattan. I guess South Bronx will have to become gentrified at some point. That is one of the biggest bad neighborhoods left in NYC. .
Sure it is. So isn't Boston, so isn't San Francisco (other places I've lived), the best places are. Still, I would, if I were starting out in my 20s, move to Brooklyn. The people I know there love it there. Sure, some people move away due to cost, but those that I've met that have done that did so in their late 30s and 40s. If I couldn't hang with Brooklyn prices, I would do Chicago. It's much cheaper and its a great city with tons going on.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
It is hard to say if OP's dating prospects will improve here. NYC is rougher, edgier and more diverse than pretty much every other East coast city. If the OP lived in white suburban environment all her life she might be for quite a shock.
I'm from a white suburban neighborhood but it's linked to a large city and I attended diverse schools. I spent about half of my time in the city. So I'm used to a diverse city environment. I live in one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I wouldnt advise NYC.
People arent that nice there, many are snobs of a trade,people dont treat each other well, everyone is jaded, its too expensive to live, too crowded, and people are cliquey. You can only stay in one corner of Brooklyn (Dumbo) to stay safe, but you'll be broke. Brooklyn and NYC is great to visit, but not to live.
I hear that people where I grew up are rude, snobby, and cliquey too. I don't think but I can see why someone would.

For me, New Yorkers have been easiest to make close friends with. I can be myself with them and they're not silently judging me. My ex from Manhattan is the only ex I'm still in contact with, a decade later. Everything hasn't been perfect but my experience with New Yorkers has been more positive than negative.

I could be seeing it with rose-colored glasses. It IS far more expensive. That is true. It's still only the third option over here and home.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
The worst places were KY, IN and then CA.

Of course, when I was in WI OLD wasn't a thing (but I was going out almost every night), and when I was in MA it was. OLD just makes everything so much easier.
What was wrong with CA? Just curious.

Yeah. I have been reconsidering online dating. I guess it could be a small addition to my meeting people in real time. It makes me nervous but there could be one out of 1000 that works out.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
What was wrong with CA? Just curious.

I lived in SF and worked in the Presidio. Frankly, I just didn't care for the people. I found the people to not have a sense of humor at all, and to be super aloof. As in, they are into recreating and leisure and not making plans (when they're not working insane hours). Which is fine, but they don't match the intensity in the people I connect with, nor the ability to cut loose.

I also found that in my age bracket at the time (I was in my mid/late 30s when I was there) that there weren't many peers for me. There were loads of super young people just starting out, mostly in tech, and older very well off financially people, but my peers for the most part (that I met) gave up and moved well outside the city (tired of the prices, roommates, wanted more open space) across to Marin and further out (or the like), so after work they bolted for their hour plus commutes and they just weren't in the city to be social regularly, if at all.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:04 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
Have you considered Chicago? It's not always -60 there

Old 02-01-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Have you considered Chicago? It's not always -60 there

+1

Chicago is a great city. Tons to do. Very affordable for its size and what it offers. Lots of the best and brightest of the upper Midwest relocate there after college, and personally, I think upper Midwesterners are some of the kindest folks around. A+ choice, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships