Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times

Advertisements

I don't see anything wrong with having roommates at any age. I've had roommates of all ages, including seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
There is no answer to this. I know more than a few 40 somethings that earn well over 100k that have roommates, because they like having roommates that are their friends. That's not uncommon at all in some of the neighborhoods of Boston, or in NYC, and I'm sure other cities.

I live alone and have for the last 10 years and most of my 20s, but most of my 30s in Boston and San Francisco I had roommates. There weren't any issues with either situation.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 1,169 times
Everyone will have a different opinion on this but yes I think if you have crossed a certain age like 35 then you must live on your own because if you marry then you won't want to be with her in the presence of other people as well. Just a thought.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:21 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
My opinion is everybody is different. I have friends who have never lived alone at all. They went from their parent's house to getting married and moving in with their husband.
Yes, I know people like that too or people who had roommates. I started living alone at 28, but I would say that 23-25 is a good age to get your own place, if not sooner.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
20 years ago I would have said mid 20's. Now, things are so expensive and the job market seems a little tougher it's harder to say. I hear people having roommates well into their 30's. The thought of that makes my skin crawl.

One of Mr.'s Chow's nephews is 30 and he's got 4 roommates. He lives in the Hollywood area and apparently it's expensive.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
As someone that was in my own at 18, put myself through college, and bought my first house when I was 21, I can't imagine someone not being self sufficient by mid twenties. I can't imagine not being highly motivated to be roommate free. I am not saying there might not be special circumstances.... obviously some areas of study take longer than others. But 35 is pretty much middle age. Seems like it would be embarrassing to have roommates.

My niece at 32 yrs has her 4 bedroom house paid for and owns a rental. She is working and going to grad school. She has no roommates, although she is thinking about having children soon, so I expect she may marry her BF who has his own home. Some people are more ambitious than others. She's a planner. I have some other relatives that have dug themselves holes that no number of roommates could get them out of.

In some areas the COL is higher than others. There are variables. Being willing to sacrifice some immediate wants for future gain is one of them. Being willing to move. Considering how long it takes some people to leave the comforts of mom and dad, they should be able to amass a good deal of cash.

I can understand that if someone owns a home that they can cut their expenses by having a roommate and perhaps privacy isn't that important to them. I think it would work better if the house was set up for dual living. Having been a landlord, I feel tenants are enough of a nuisance without having them in the same house.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what anyone besides yourself thinks about your living situation. Will you be judged? Sure. But as long as you are happy with the situation it doesn't matter.
Okay, but what if you're the homeowner, but you decided to take on a roomate anyway? Some do it for the extra income.

I've also heard that if you don't own a home by a certain age, even though your single...that you should NOT be renting an apartment by a certain age.

Yeah, I've seen some shallow profiles where they say, "You must be a homeowner, like me". That you're automatically labeled un-date-able if you rent.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There is no answer to this. I know more than a few 40 somethings that earn well over 100k that have roommates, because they like having roommates that are their friends. That's not uncommon at all in some of the neighborhoods of Boston, or in NYC, and I'm sure other cities.

I live alone and have for the last 10 years and most of my 20s, but most of my 30s in Boston and San Francisco I had roommates. There weren't any issues with either situation.
Right, in some cities roommates are a choice, and in others they're a necessity. Some of my friends in DC, SF, even Chicago have roommates because they can live better that way than if they tried to make rent on just their own income, especially if they're single.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:37 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
There are a lot of reasons for someone to decide to have a room mate, and may not HAVE to have one, so for me, it would all depend on the situation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
30 myself and live with roommates because it is the best way for me to have a nice place in a safe neighborhood in a location close to jobs in DC. Probably going to leave in the next few months for a lower COL area but I’m far from the only over 30 person here with roommates.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
30 myself and live with roommates because it is the best way for me to have a nice place in a safe neighborhood in a location close to jobs in DC. Probably going to leave in the next few months for a lower COL area but I’m far from the only over 30 person here with roommates.
I did the same through my 30s and for the same reasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships