Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 927 times

Advertisements

I was with my ex boyfriend for 5 yrs. I broke up 2 yrs ago because he would not pull his weight while we lived together. We would still meet for coffee and text regularly but I didn't want him back unless he would marry me and bring in regular money. In other words, I didn't want to support him. He has started seeing someone else but still texts and wants to hang out with me. He said he wanted to move back in but I haven't seen any signs of him becoming self sufficient. The woman he is seeing is financially well off and doesn't mind paying for everything so he chose her over making the necessary changes to be with me. I am hurt to see him with another even though I didn't want him back if we weren't going to be a partnership. Now I am afraid that he will have the life with the new girlfriend that I wanted with him. Is it likely he will change for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 02:04 AM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Nope. He wants a well off GF who will support him. He will not change - what for, if there are women who would pay for him?
You need to decide - pay for him, or let other girls to do so.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:06 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
He wants to be with you, but he wants you to take care of him, and you don't want to.

It doesn't sound like he wants to be with her beyond allowing her to take care of him, so why would he change for her, if her taking care of him is all it seems she has to offer him?

He must be meeting some sort of need for her (without him needing to meet your requirements), which makes it easier for him to be with her.

He needs to become self-sufficient for himself, not for you, nor for her. What exactly does he have to offer you if he can't/won't even take care of himself?

Old 12-21-2018, 02:19 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times
You did the right thing, but I do think you should leave him alone. He wants a sugar mama.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:55 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
OP, does he know why you broke up with him? I ask that because this is a sensitive subject and a lot of people wouldn't come right out and tell the other person they're not pulling their weight.

I don't see any reason why he would change with the other woman. There's no need to.

But, if he doesn't know why you broke up with him, it's possible he might change his ways if you told him why. That said, if you've known him for 7 years and he's been this way the entire time, I think it's probably unlikely.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
he wants a mother not a girlfriend..
stay away get a real man with respect for you and supports himself....

Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
Sounds like a bum who'd rather put in 12 hours on Xbox as opposed to a job. Some insecure women find this magnetic for some unfathomable reason.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:54 AM

880 posts, read 531,965 times
He's not going to change for you, he's not going to change for her. When he realizes hes ran out of women to use he may change for himself, but that's doubtful because there always seems to be a never ending supply of women who enjoy the challenge of "fixing" a man.

Take your time and allow yourself to grieve the loss of this relationship, i'm sure you loved him but you know you deserve a partner not an oversized man child.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:04 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I feel like I've heard this story before.

Freeloader with new moneybags GF

Old 12-21-2018, 09:12 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Nope. He wants a well off GF who will support him. He will not change - what for, if there are women who would pay for him?
You need to decide - pay for him, or let other girls to do so.

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships