Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:17 AM

2 posts, read 736 times

Advertisements

When a narcissistic ex starts to ignore you does that mean they are done with you for good?

I broke things off with a guy that basically started off saying he wanted a relationship but then turned our relationship into more a of booty call. I did not want that so I eventually just broke things off with him. I was trying to be nice and said we could just be friends since we also work together. His reaction was to see if we could try harder to make the relationship work. I said we could but if things stayed the same we would be better as friends. Again, I was mostly trying to keep things friendly or peaceful between us so there would not be any negative feelings as we work together. He was in agreement.

Well he has stopped engaging with me at work. Like he'll literally speak to everyone in the room but avoid speaking to me. I suppose that is okay. But I must admit I'm a little offended as I thought we'd be more cordial as crazy as that may sound. He is absolutely narcissistic and a profuse liar from what I learned from dealing with him. But it did make me wonder if he's now officially done with me and have I been discarded? Or, should I expect him to hoover at some point? I'll be honest I do miss his attention but I recognize it isn't healthy and I do need to move on. But I'm curious to get feedback as to whether or not his ignoring means he's also done? Or, is he just giving me the silent treatment now as we haven't talked directly in over a week. I suppose I also ask because during the history of our relationship he would disappear and then return wanting to get back together. So, now I'm thinking he's finally done playing games with me? But what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 04:00 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Gather around kids!

“That’s why we never date people at work.”

Old 02-21-2019, 04:36 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,763 times
I'm wondering what he did that makes you think he's a narcissist? Because that's kind of a specific disorder yet nothing you've posted about him really indicates a narcissist..I'm not a psychologist.but I've dealt with enough of them to recognize the signs.

As to your question about whether he's just giving you the silent treatment now and may come back to you at some later time to try to get back together OR whether he's done for real this time - who knows? No one here knows this guy so it's really hard to give you an answer. It could go either way. No way for anyone here to know.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:45 AM

2 posts, read 736 times
I said he's narcissistic because he was a liar when I was dating him and whenever I tried to talk to him about his behavior he'd lie and try to make me think I was crazy which I feel was him trying to be manipulative. During the course of our relationship he'd play on my emotions and the fact that he know I liked him. He'd basically tell me what he thought I wanted to hear even in the face of me confronting him or being direct. He also thinks very highly of himself. I found his instagram page and it's full of how wonderful he thinks he is...he's giving himself compliments. I know its IG but it was still excessive. Perhaps I am mistaken but at best he is very arrogant.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:01 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
I agree with ChiGirl... sounds like a manipulative, maybe gaslighting jerk, but I don't see narcissism yet.

The only reason why that matters IMO is that narcissists absolutely will show up out of the blue to demand something they think you owe them or that they deserve. Jerks will just move on and be a jerk to someone else.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:19 AM

880 posts, read 532,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meka88 View Post
I said he's narcissistic because he was a liar when I was dating him and whenever I tried to talk to him about his behavior he'd lie and try to make me think I was crazy which I feel was him trying to be manipulative. During the course of our relationship he'd play on my emotions and the fact that he know I liked him. He'd basically tell me what he thought I wanted to hear even in the face of me confronting him or being direct. He also thinks very highly of himself. I found his instagram page and it's full of how wonderful he thinks he is...he's giving himself compliments. I know its IG but it was still excessive. Perhaps I am mistaken but at best he is very arrogant.
Does it really matter what he wants? he sounds like a knob. It sounds like you called it off in hopes that he will realize what he's losing and come crawling back so you can have a happily ever after. It doesn't work that way, now he's playing with you by ignoring you. Time to really move on and next time don't sh*t where you eat.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Who cares what he does? He's an ex. Keep it moving.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Why do you care if he is done with you? YOU should be done with HIM.

He is a run of the mill jerk, no need to try and apply psychological diagnosis to him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,636 times
He's not a narcissist. You just got played.

When you broke it off with him you expected him to whimper and try harder to get you back. It didn't work so now you are interested in him because he's not giving you any attention. To me...it sounds like you are the one with the issue.

Let this be a lesson to you, when you break up with someone-expect to break up and move on. Don't play games.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meka88 View Post
When a narcissistic ex starts to ignore you does that mean they are done with you for good?

I broke things off with a guy that basically started off saying he wanted a relationship but then turned our relationship into more a of booty call. I did not want that so I eventually just broke things off with him. I was trying to be nice and said we could just be friends since we also work together. His reaction was to see if we could try harder to make the relationship work. I said we could but if things stayed the same we would be better as friends. Again, I was mostly trying to keep things friendly or peaceful between us so there would not be any negative feelings as we work together. He was in agreement.

Well he has stopped engaging with me at work. Like he'll literally speak to everyone in the room but avoid speaking to me. I suppose that is okay. But I must admit I'm a little offended as I thought we'd be more cordial as crazy as that may sound. He is absolutely narcissistic and a profuse liar from what I learned from dealing with him. But it did make me wonder if he's now officially done with me and have I been discarded? Or, should I expect him to hoover at some point? I'll be honest I do miss his attention but I recognize it isn't healthy and I do need to move on. But I'm curious to get feedback as to whether or not his ignoring means he's also done? Or, is he just giving me the silent treatment now as we haven't talked directly in over a week. I suppose I also ask because during the history of our relationship he would disappear and then return wanting to get back together. So, now I'm thinking he's finally done playing games with me? But what are your thoughts?
Honestly, what is there to miss? You should be avoiding him like the plague. Whether he's narcissistic or not, he treats you bad. Do yourself a favor and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships