Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,796,511 times

Advertisements

I would never have reacted the way he did. 2 months is still early, but long enough to show you care. I would have asked all about what happened and even wondered if you might have some PTSD from it. Shame on him. He may be a narcissist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 17,994,810 times
This is one of my favorite subjects - fascinating! Couples responding to each other. Or not.

The Gottman Institute has done studies on couples and "bids for attention".

A "bid for attention" could be something as drastic as your text about the wreck, or as minimal as "wow what an interesting bird". Couples that will last respond to each other's bids, reciprocally.

They can predict which couples will last, and which will be in distress and not succeed.

Couple that will last:

A: I have a headache
B: Oh no. Did you take tylenol
A: no, I don't have any
B: Maybe coffee might help?

Couple that doesn't respond:

B: *silence* Then, Did you get my crunchy peanut butter while you were at the store?
(I actually witnessed that interchange)

Your guy failed with an F, OP.

https://www.gottman.com/blog/an-intr...ids-and-trust/

Old 02-26-2019, 02:26 PM

999 posts, read 554,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is one of my favorite subjects - fascinating! Couples responding to each other. Or not.

The Gottman Institute has done studies on couples and "bids for attention".

A "bid for attention" could be something as drastic as your text about the wreck, or as minimal as "wow what an interesting bird". Couples that will last respond to each other's bids, reciprocally.

They can predict which couples will last, and which will be in distress and not succeed.

Couple that will last:

B: Oh no. Did you take tylenol
A: no, I don't have any
B: Maybe coffee might help?

Couple that doesn't respond:

B: *silence* Then, Did you get my crunchy peanut butter while you were at the store?
(I actually witnessed that interchange)

Your guy failed with an F, OP.

https://www.gottman.com/blog/an-intr...ids-and-trust/
It's so obvious that it almost seems a bit silly they had to do a study on it.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:48 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,468,584 times
Yes, long term you want to be with someone more empathetic. Don’t try to change him. A chaotic lifestyle is no good either.

Try to get together with a couple of good friends to discuss the accident. It’ll help prevent PTSD. The experience sounds terrible! I’m sorry you had to go through it.

Last edited by ellie; 02-26-2019 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 04:03 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,947 times
Hard to tell because of all the texting. If he was stuck at work, working on a deadline he might've not seen the text on time. You should've called and ask him to call you back or texted asking him to call.

As to your birthday, did you discuss this with your BF? Did he know for sure that that day way your birthday? Again, hard to tell based in your responses so far.

But in general, I think you might be expecting a but too much from someone you have been seeing for just a few months...

Old 02-26-2019, 04:11 PM

999 posts, read 554,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
But in general, I think you might be expecting a but too much from someone you have been seeing for just a few months...
A few months in should still be honeymoon phase. This is when people are on their best behavior.

It's only going to get worse from here.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:50 PM

6,880 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Don't waste another two months. Get out while the getting is good.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
It's so obvious that it almost seems a bit silly they had to do a study on it.
I'm not sure it's obvious, at all.

Women stay with abusers.

Women stay with cheaters.

Men stay with women their family hates, and so lose their family to be with their woman.

It's really interesting, to me, that this one parameter, responding to bids for attention, can be such a true determiner of the success of the relationship.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Hard to tell because of all the texting. If he was stuck at work, working on a deadline he might've not seen the text on time. You should've called and ask him to call you back or texted asking him to call.

As to your birthday, did you discuss this with your BF? Did he know for sure that that day way your birthday? Again, hard to tell based in your responses so far.

I agree with you. I think people are a little hard on the dude.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,987,931 times
Sometimes you just get tired of people bishing about their problems. I don’t know you so cannot judge but this could be the case. We all know people that are constantly involved in drama or problems. The whoa is me crowd where there are always multiple problems that are somebody else’s fault. Just reading your post that is what came to my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships