Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, how many of you are the only person that your SO (significant other) or spouse really has &/OR your SO is the only person you really have?

My fiance' & I have become this w/ each other pretty equally. It's a good thing we plan on staying together for the rest of our lives. That's just how things went in our lives. We didn't set out for that to happen or want or not want that to happen.

I have no friends (read my post #130 & more current thoughts w/ post #222 here for details: Is it normal for an Adult to have NO Friends? ) & he really doesn't either. He'll talk to a guy from work occasionally over the phone or maybe see a longtime friend every couple or so yrs.

Re: family, I have my elderly mother I talk to daily & a cousin I've connected w/ 2 yrs ago now in which we talk by phone on a monthly basis.

My fiance' has recently had nothing to do w/ his family anymore...ALL 5 immediate members & he's not close w/ any extended family.

(Fiance' & I are in our mid-40s, by the way.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 01:00 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I always find it in intriguing when someone is estranged from their ENTIRE family. You know there's some outrageous stories there!

I answer your OP... no I can't really relate. Even my reclusive ex had friends he played soccer with. I imagine life will be pretty lonely for a surviving spouse who has no friends.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:00 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Not us. I wound go so far as to say it is very unhealthy.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:29 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
We have moved around so much for work and school it seems like that sometimes.

We have friends but they come and go but the two of us are the closest people we have had. I can’t remember the last time I haven’t gone a day without speaking with her. Maybe 10 years...

Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I always find it in intriguing when someone is estranged from their ENTIRE family. You know there's some outrageous stories there!

I answer your OP... no I can't really relate. Even my reclusive ex had friends he played soccer with. I imagine life will be pretty lonely for a surviving spouse who has no friends.

I think it's a big red flag. I mean, there are people with truly awful families. But most of the time when someone is estranged with the entire family, it's the person who is the problem. They just gin up outrageous stories or exaggerate to justify matters.

What's more, if you are relying on one person for the entirety of your social interaction, it typically means that you are making that person entirely responsible for your happiness. Get out and make some friends for your health and his.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:29 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
my wife is kinda/sorta like that, but she likes it.

after her mother and father died, the rest of her family disappeared. no Christmas cards. nothing.
she has a brother but she does not know where he lives or anything. actually, he might be dead.
(he was a drug addict, alcoholic, and whatever else was available)
so....for my wife: no blood relatives except our son.
she handles it well, since her family was (kindly) "dysfunctional".
it is a relief to her that no one attempts contact.
that would bring up bad memories.

bottom line: with just about everything, there is a good side and a bad side to consider.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
My wife prefers her life being “mostly” around me, however life doesn’t work that way all the time. She has grown children, family and workmates that keep her socialized outside of our thing together.
Me? I would prefer to be a total hermit if life allowed, but that’s not reality and I haven’t lived a life that would allow or be fair to suddenly start doing so.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:17 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
If it works for ya'll cool.

I don't want my whole world and life to revolve around one person. That would get annoying......

Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it's a big red flag. I mean, there are people with truly awful families. But most of the time when someone is estranged with the entire family, it's the person who is the problem. They just gin up outrageous stories or exaggerate to justify matters.

I had an ex estranged from her whole family, she was close to most of them growing up, but when she met her first husband in college that all changed.

Quote:
What's more, if you are relying on one person for the entirety of your social interaction, it typically means that you are making that person entirely responsible for your happiness. Get out and make some friends for your health and his.

or it just means their partner is the only one they get along with, or they just don't feel an emotional reward from platonic relationships.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Yes, some of you understand! There's always some who do & some who don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I always find it in intriguing when someone is estranged from their ENTIRE family. You know there's some outrageous stories there!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it's a big red flag. I mean, there are people with truly awful families. But most of the time when someone is estranged with the entire family, it's the person who is the problem. They just gin up outrageous stories or exaggerate to justify matters...
It's OK in my case guys! I've known him long enough to see it for myself throughout the years how his family members each are. They really are all highly narcissistic, shallow, fake, insincere wastes of space. Whoever they're actually nice to, it's because they have an ulterior motive or the person is the same immoral person like them. My fiance's completely different from them all. They know it & treat him badly and have emotionally "ganged up on him". I've seen them each do plenty of horrendous things to him because they take joy in making him the scapegoat. These 2 youtubers explain how narcissists are perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NarcissimSurvivor/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKi...EJcl16w/videos

Quick breakdown:

He got fed up w/ his loser, cheating, idiotic, pathological lying, abusive father a decade or so ago.

His mother was the last one who we've both realized was truly immature, self-centered, always having a pity party, etc. & got worse & worse.

I personally never liked 1 of his bros from day 1...highly narcissistic, smug a-hole.

His younger bro is an odd duck & his feelings will switch off/on like a light switch.

His younger sis is an ultra queen bee b!#cH type who doesn't like anyone unless maybe if you're just like her: Wild partier, drinker, smoker, b!#cHy, etc. She has this permanent b!#cH face expression on her face.

None of them are coming to our wedding & if we were stupid enough to invite them, they'd only go to ignore us & take advantage of the free food, music, festivities, & probably steal the wedding gifts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships