Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 02:13 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Nut up or shut up is a phrase I heard a while back. Reading the OP it sorta pulled that thought into my head.

It's 2019, once you've left the company call him up and be more direct.

It's about all you can do now, and as others have said, don't waste three more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 02:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Update on this:

He called me earlier this week to discuss a position he wants me to apply for in his office. We spent an hour on the phone on this. He called the head of that department to advise him that I would be a good fit. He also discussed it with my current manager. He asked me to apply and he will handle the follow up. He said I should stop overthinking and apply as this is good next step for my career.

This job would mean relocating there. According to him, I should relocate instead of remaining where I am.

I have not applied yet. I have 3 business days left in the company. I will nonetheless apply and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
So you don't already have another job lined up? You resigned to do what...?

Who is he to tell you where you "should" live and work?

If you end up working in his office, a personal relationship is pretty much off the table.

Where in this thread did I say I resigned without a job lined up? I never even hinted at this, so I'm not sure where you got this from. Yes, he suggested I apply and yes, I'm considering applying. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to take the job. Clearly, I'm leaving for a reason, not just because I woke up one day and decided to leave.

Secondly, I was a good employee and I presume he appreciated my efforts. Hence, he's trying to retain my knowledge & competences within the company.

Well, his office is a 1.5 hour plane ride. We don't be working together as we'll work on different floors for different departments.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 04-12-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 02:35 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Do what you want to do OP.

At this point, advice is pretty useless

You know what you need to do. You have all the information you need.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

For real.

OP, you did resign. So what was your plan? Or was this outcome in the back of your mind?

It sounds like a very bad idea, but it does sound like something you would totally go for.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Do what you want to do OP.

You know what you need to do. You have all the information you need.
I just reiterated this thread because he asked me to apply to a position in his office and he would get me the job. I'm mostly asking about this, not so much about my initial OP at this stage.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I just reiterated this thread because he asked me to apply to a position in his office and he would get me the job. I'm mostly asking about this, not so much about my initial OP at this stage.
It feels like you've been hoping he will rescue you.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
For real.

OP, you did resign. So what was your plan? Or was this outcome in the back of your mind?

It sounds like a very bad idea, but it does sound like something you would totally go for.
I asked around, other people that don't know him to get an objective point of view. As I said, I have not applied yet because there are several layers to this decision.

These people are both males and females, they work in a different office from mine and his. They have no clue whether I like him or not. I just said a colleague asked me to apply. They advised that I should apply to this job because I have the skills for it and my acquired knowledge won't be lost.

Before I resigned, my plan was to relocate elsewhere. I didn't know where, but I was open to various places.
I even had interviews for other positions internally in different locations. So realistically speaking, I was quite open.

Then, I found the job I did resign for (not the job of my dreams, a bit different from my background, but good company) and I decided to stay in my current city for the purpose of this new job, otherwise, I would have left anyway.

I'm definitely planning on joining the new company. However, I thought I'd wait until my last day and apply for this position. If they contact me once I'm gone fine, if not, it's fine too. I prefer to wait until I'm close to leaving, so I don't get stuck with the situation whilst I'm still there. Once I'm gone and see if the new company is worthwhile, I'll be able to make a sound decision.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
It feels like you've been hoping he will rescue you.
I was actually hoping my own manager would rescue me, quite frankly. She's been my mentor for many years and I loved working with her. She didn't fight for me nor for any of her former employees who left. She just accepted whatever resignation she was getting, no matter how good the person was. That's another story.

She didn't suggest the idea, he did. I was indeed hoping he'd contact me after I'm gone for more of a personal relationship, but a job itself? I wasn't really anticipating. Honestly, I was/am primarily looking for a personal relationship and I thought leaving would perhaps allow for that to happen.

Actually, another colleague of me suggested to also refer me to the same position this guy did but in another location about 6 months ago. This is the same colleague who told me it's a good idea to apply to this one too despite being on my way out.

As a matter of fact this puts me in a very awkward situation. If I turn him down, he'll take it badly. If I apply, I'm stuck with having to go through the process. Either way, it's tricky.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:

If I turn him down, he'll take it badly. If I apply, I'm stuck with having to go through the process. Either way, it's tricky.
You didn't see this coming?

This is what happens when people don't speak their minds and instead hope things work out.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You didn't see this coming?

This is what happens when people don't speak their minds and instead hope things work out.
Hold on, was I supposed to anticipate he was going to try to get me a job there?

I'm not entirely sure how exactly this is my fault because I didn't "speak my mind". I don't understand really.

I told him, I might apply, but I will need to think about it. I actually expressed my concerns to him about moving and what this will entail if I were to apply. His response was: "I'm telling you to apply, so please apply and I will handle. You don't have to think about it. If you leave, it will be a loss for you and for us. So, work on your application and let me know when it's done".

We had a lengthy conversation. I specifically advised him my current position is very different from this vacancy and I'm not sure I'm a fit for the position he's trying to sell me. According to him I'm a perfect fit and as compared to the other applicants, I'm well above

He knows I have concerns, so I don't see where I am to blame. As far as I'm aware, I never contacted him to ask him to find me a job there. He took this initiative himself.

Actually, I'm most vocal with him than I am with anyone else in the company. He's the one I tend to speak my mind with the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships