Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 04:04 AM

6 posts, read 5,877 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I work with this guy, and it's pretty clear he likes me. He stares at me when he thinks I'm not looking, and then when I catch him, he looks away. The other day I was sitting next to him in a meeting, and his hands were so sweaty, they left the table wet. He can't look me in the eye. Around other people, he avoids and ignores me, but is nice to me when no one else is around.

He sent me a message on Facebook today about something relevant to our work. I replied and thanked him, and then said I'd love to pick his brain [about the topic we were discussing] sometime. Then I sent another message and said I hoped it didn't sound too weird. He replied and said it didn't sound weird, he was just busy at an event, so hadn't had time to reply.

I don't understand - he's showing signs of interest, but doesn't seem interested in even hanging out outside of work. I'm considering asking him out. Maybe just as friends to begin. I don't want to make things at work awkward.

Should I ask him out? If so, how should I do it? What do you suggest?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 05:30 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
I’d suggest not pursuing this since you both work together. If it gets awkward, having to see each other at work every day makes it a hell of a lot worse.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I’d suggest not pursuing this since you both work together. If it gets awkward, having to see each other at work every day makes it a hell of a lot worse.
I guess you're right, but I really like him! I think we would complement each other well. I just don't understand why he hasn't taken up the opportunity to spend time together.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:52 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
He is not interested in romantic relationship, just work related.
Don't pursue. You WILL make things at work awkward.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
He is not interested in romantic relationship, just work related.
What makes you think that?

Old 09-20-2022, 05:55 AM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Maybe he's socially awkward and you make him nervous?

Old 09-20-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Maybe he's socially awkward and you make him nervous?
I definitely make him nervous, but I'm not sure if it's because he likes me (or not). I don't see why else I would make him nervous.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:23 AM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Common sense dictates that work and play does not go together. What company uses FB for company related communication?

Old 09-20-2022, 06:49 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingadvice1990 View Post
I definitely make him nervous, but I'm not sure if it's because he likes me (or not). I don't see why else I would make him nervous.
He may be nervous because he senses you really like him and you’re about to ask him out. Unless he’s dropped any hints about getting together socially, then risking the working relationship really isn’t worth it.

You told him you’d like to get together or “pick his brain” about a common interest. He didn’t reply immediately. Think about if it were the other way around wouldn’t you have taken that opportunity to name a place and time or be more encouraging about getting together? He didn’t.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:51 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Hi
I don't understand - he's showing signs of interest, but doesn't seem interested in even hanging out outside of work.
I don't want to make things at work awkward.
Quote:
I just don't understand why he hasn't taken up the opportunity to spend time together.
Quote:
What makes you think that?
See above.

Perhaps he even likes you but is smart enough to know not to start any romantic relationships at work.

BTW: we need more info - age, position at work (is he your superior?). What do you know about him? Is he married? Dating someone?

Last edited by elnina; 09-20-2022 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships