Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 05:49 AM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times

Advertisements

Day-by-day, it's HIS problem, but in the LONG-RUN the longer you stay together or if you actually marry him, it's YOUR problem too.

Overall this is a bad situation for you BOTH, but he doesn't care & probably won't start drastically changing now like he needs to be.

Now yes, we love & care for our partners, but w/ someone that finicky w/ their eating, I'm not going to be the ONLY one who cares about him eating right, etc. when he doesn't even care himself. He has to want it too. But I refuse to feel like, "Mommy" constantly saying, "Eat your vegetables, etc." multiple times a day or even daily. Too much energy & frustration. He better learn to cook something if he NEVER likes what I make, but if that's going to be fast food, processed, high sodium frozen meals, or takeout everyday pretty much while you make your meals most of the time, that's a lot of extra financial spending too, which affects YOU too!

THEN, if you date him long-term or even marry him, ALL this bad, junk food eating will catch up w/ him eventually & who's the one who'll have to take care of him when he's laid up ill or something? YOU. So in that aspect, he's being very selfish eating badly knowing you're his partner who'll be his caretaker when things happen. He should want to eat healthy.

You guys are already older, so he's been eating badly for decades. God knows how his cholesterol levels, heart condition, probably has diabetes, etc. He probably hasn't gone to the dr either in a long time, am I right? God knows what scary things are going on inside his body the way he eats. Numerous years of eating bad food is just as bad as smoking & drinking.

I don't even know why you two moved in together so fast & if anyone's read my numerous posts on this board, I'm not for moving in soon at all, no matter how old the people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 06:21 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
There's a thread on the Psychology forum discussing "Forcing Food on Others."

I thought it might be about this phenomenon of "I know better than you what you should be eating," but instead it concerns people literally standing over others saying, "Eat, eat!" (or "Mangia, mangia!" in Italian) when they're not hungry.

Disappointing, as I find this phenomenon to be far more prevalent and more fascinating.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:10 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
I think another issue is someone who eats the same thing all the time. My most recent ex had been single for so long and in minimalist quarters that he made the same meals over and over again. Didn't really want to branch out. Not so much that he didn't like other foods, just that he had become severely miserly when it came to buying food (which is understandable when you're on a fixed income).

Old 11-05-2022, 02:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I think another issue is someone who eats the same thing all the time. My most recent ex had been single for so long and in minimalist quarters that he made the same meals over and over again. Didn't really want to branch out.
Why is that an "issue"? Let him eat what he wants, and you eat what you want.

Allowing others their own preferences seems to be a foreign concept to many...

Old 11-05-2022, 03:05 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

We had leftover stuffed chicken breasts last night. Mrs. NBP roasted some beets to go with them as well as some multi-color carrots.

I declined, as I always do, the beets and you know what? Not a word was said about it and no hectoring about how "beets are good for you and you need to expand your palate".

The same thing happens when mushrooms are cooked, she declines them and I don't say a word.

My mother used to force our kids to eat stuff they were allergic to, like peanuts, when we weren't around. Too many trips to the ER put a stop to that. I already described what meals were like when I was growing up.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Oh here we go again!

Old 11-06-2022, 03:25 PM

Hey guys, I'm watching Weird Al on Larry King Now (YouTube) in an interview from 2014. He is a "vegetarian leans vegan" and his wife and daughter (she was age 11 at the time of the interview) are "They lean vegetarian except they eat meat all the time."

Married 21 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships