Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 05:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's your take, not necessarily what anyone actually said. Also, nobody said they have "a more refined palate." They stated they like to try new things and eat a healthy diet.

As for "why is that?" it's likely because the picky eaters are not getting a nutritious balanced diet. You'll never convince me that someone who eats mainly junk food - or a VERY limited diet - is getting a nutritious balanced diet.
My mistake. They didn't say "refined" but "advanced", which is even snobbier in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It drives me nuts that I have to pay to go to a crap restaurant whenever family member visits because their palate has not advanced beyond chicken tenders, boxed mac and cheese and plain hamburgers and we all got tired of the idiocy of refusing to eat normal food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 05:27 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
The way I take the word "advanced" in this context is not that the poster's palate is advanced, but that the family member's palate has remained static, i.e. not moved forward.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
The way I take the word "advanced" in this context is not that the poster's palate is advanced, but that the family member's palate has remained static, i.e. not moved forward.
And it was not delivered as a compliment which means they view it as inferior. Since when do palates need to be moving in any direction?

Old 10-30-2022, 06:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Although I can see why it would be desirable for two people living together to be at least somewhat on the same page when it comes to meals, this discrepancy would have been obvious during the dating stage. There probably should have been conversations prior to moving in together.

Old 10-30-2022, 07:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Or they're totally uptight food snobs (like, I suspect, the OP). "Trader Joe" this and "Whole Foods" that and "organic" the other thing. Let your hair down once in a while and enjoy some junk food with us common folk! You'll find we're not that bad.
Oh yeah. This is a thing with incoming retirees in my -48 community. They hit the ground complaining because there's no TJs or Whole Foods. The rest complain because there's no WalMart, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-30-2022 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-30-2022, 07:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

And it was not delivered as a compliment which means they view it as inferior. Since when do palates need to be moving in any direction?
When one leaves childhood.....

when one evolves from childhood...

and also when one gains emotional maturity.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-30-2022 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-30-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
When one leaves childhood.....

when one evolves from childhood...

and also when one gains emotional maturity.
^^^^^ Elitist definition of "maturity"

Old 10-31-2022, 04:00 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Several of the posters in this thread, lol:
https://www.tiktok.com/@iamrenanpach...97516214848774

Old 10-31-2022, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If my husband was a meat and potato guy, we would probably not be compatible. It's kinda indicative of a general mindset and openness to new things.

He's traveled to over 60 countries, so he has no problem with me cooking a wide array of foods, he also has no trouble eating vegetarian, tofu.... not much is off his experience list, and he is always open to trying new things. Which also represents how is about most things.
This might apply to some people, but what the OP describes is someone who has a genuine aversion to certain tastes/textures/smells as opposed to someone who's just unadventurous or stuck in a rut.

Myself, I've been all over the world, and I'd like to think of myself as relatively...exploratory?...about life in general. But for me biting into certain foods can be unpleasant on a scale ranging from "itchy shirt" to "unexpected ice cold shower." It's a sensory thing, not a personality thing. One can't really help being wired to have a more sensitive palate than the average person, although they can learn to work around it. To me what matters with stuff like this is how one deals with it. If the person is being a big pill about it, they're probably a big pill about other minor issues too, and therefore not someone I'd want to spend much time with in general. But if they take care of their own needs without dragging others down, I don't see the problem.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It drives me nuts when every holiday meal is centered on what 1 family member will or will not eat.
So don't center it around them? Make what you're going to make and let them sort themselves out.

I've gotten in the habit of bringing a hearty side dish to contribute to holiday dinners, something that others will enjoy and that I can also fill up on a bit if pickings are slim from others' contributions.

Quote:
It drives me nuts to prepare good, healthy, normal meals only to have family member not eat it.
That's a bit self-centered, isn't it?

Quote:
It drives me nuts that I have to pay to go to a crap restaurant whenever family member visits because their palate has not advanced beyond chicken tenders, boxed mac and cheese and plain hamburgers and we all got tired of the idiocy of refusing to eat normal food.
Sure, that's rude if they're being difficult about restaurant choices. The considerate thing to do would be for the picky eater to go to the restaurant others want and either find something edible on the menu, or eat ahead of time and just get a beverage or whatever and spend some quality time socializing.

Quote:
Same family member brings chips ahoy bag of cookies instead of eating homemade cookies which are a billion times better.
...oh no? Neither of these options sounds like a particularly heathy food choice, anyway.

Quote:
if you don't want to be treated like a child at 47 than stop acting like one.
I don't know....you're the one having a tantrum about someone not enjoying your cooking. Sounds like there's some childishness on both sides here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships