Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 01:09 PM

11,026 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Or they're totally uptight food snobs (like, I suspect, the OP). "Trader Joe" this and "Whole Foods" that and "organic" the other thing. Let your hair down once in a while and enjoy some junk food with us common folk! You'll find we're not that bad.
The OP is a "food snob" simply because she likes to cook and try out new things she finds interesting, and likes to share them? (OK then. <No.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2022, 07:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I'm referring to the attitude of some (or possibly many) who shop at and name-drop into conversation the names Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Also the farmer's market. Not sure if it's "food eclecticism" or "food elitism." I'm not saying those foods are actually healthier (I wouldn't know, because I don't shop there), but that certain patrons feel this somehow makes them superior to those who shop for groceries at Walmart or Piggly Wiggly, for instance. More educated, sophisticated, discerning, and "worldly," as they might say...

Old 10-29-2022, 09:29 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Who are you talking about? And what do they say exactly?

Old 10-30-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm referring to the attitude of some (or possibly many) who shop at and name-drop into conversation the names Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Also the farmer's market. Not sure if it's "food eclecticism" or "food elitism." I'm not saying those foods are actually healthier (I wouldn't know, because I don't shop there), but that certain patrons feel this somehow makes them superior to those who shop for groceries at Walmart or Piggly Wiggly, for instance. More educated, sophisticated, discerning, and "worldly," as they might say...
Does wanting to try different things, and eat unusual things from different parts of the world etc. constitute "food elitism?" No. Just because a few people act like that doesn't mean everyone does. I never think of being better than other people because I shop at Trader Joe's. I will even venture to say that most people who shop there do not think of them themselves as better than others. They are not thinking about being better than others when they're shopping at a store like Trader Joe's. They're having fun looking at all the different stuff and deciding what to buy or try out. Or buying their favorite items they can't get anywhere else, like me.

I'll tell you one thing though, I will not shop at Whole Foods because when you go in there it's obvious who they cater to - even the cashiers are snotty let alone the other shoppers. I'm not going to pay extra to be sneered at.

I shop wherever I feel like it. I'll shop at Walmart (pickup mainly), I'll shop at Piggly Wiggly now that I live in the south, I'll shop at Kroger, Publix, Sprouts, the local independent market with very little stock, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree... it all depends. I think most people are like that. Some people are picky and set in their ways. They only shop at certain stores, but I think most people are more flexible than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Who are you talking about? And what do they say exactly?
I want to know, too.

Last edited by pathrunner; 10-30-2022 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: typos, clarity, add quote

Old 10-30-2022, 10:24 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Does wanting to try different things, and eat unusual things from different parts of the world etc. constitute "food elitism?" No. Just because a few people act like that doesn't mean everyone does. I never think of being better than other people because I shop at Trader Joe's. I will even venture to say that most people who shop there do not think of them themselves as better than others. They are not thinking about being better than others when they're shopping at a store like Trader Joe's. They're having fun looking at all the different stuff and deciding what to buy or try out. Or buying their favorite items they can't get anywhere else, like me.
Thing is, the actions of a few in a group can shape the impressions others have of the group as a whole. We've already seen plenty of posts in this thread where people think they have a more refined palate because of their food preferences and look down on those who are deemed "picky eaters" as a boring inferior subclass.

It's notable that the "picky eaters" are almost never seen trying to change the diet of adventurous eaters to get them to eat a plainer and more limited selection. It's always the adventurous eaters pushing the picky eaters to try something new and expand their diet. Why is that?

Old 10-30-2022, 11:07 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

I'll tell you one thing though, I will not shop at Whole Foods because when you go in there it's obvious who they cater to - even the cashiers are snotty let alone the other shoppers. I'm not going to pay extra to be sneered at.

I shop wherever I feel like it. I'll shop at Walmart (pickup mainly), I'll shop at Piggly Wiggly now that I live in the south, I'll shop at Kroger, Publix, Sprouts, the local independent market with very little stock, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree... it all depends. I think most people are like that. Some people are picky and set in their ways. They only shop at certain stores, but I think most people are more flexible than that.

I want to know, too.
I don't shop at Whole Foods, and I will tell you why...well, besides the fact that it's overpriced in many ways and not at all convenient to where I live. I went there once, and started looking in the natural vitamins and supplements section. I happened to look up, and that's when I saw it.

Hanging by a thick chain from the ceiling was an obviously expensive, custom manufactured sign thst read, "If you have questions or need advise about our supplements, ask one of our sales associates".

Somebody ordered and paid for this sign, yet no one--not the manufacturer, not the store manager, not the sales associates, apparently ever said, "Hey, there is a major typo on that expensive sign!"

Eventually I took my few purchases to the register, from where the sign was visible, and I pointed it out to the fetus-aged cashier, who was obviously confused as to what I was talking about.

That's the last time I went to Whole Foods. If they don't know the difference between advise and advice, how can I trust what they do with food?

Old 10-30-2022, 11:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Now that is a microscopic nit. I'd like to know what vendors people are using that have never made a minor typo that in no way changes the meaning conveyed?

Old 10-30-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Thing is, the actions of a few in a group can shape the impressions others have of the group as a whole. We've already seen plenty of posts in this thread where people think they have a more refined palate because of their food preferences and look down on those who are deemed "picky eaters" as a boring inferior subclass.

It's notable that the "picky eaters" are almost never seen trying to change the diet of adventurous eaters to get them to eat a plainer and more limited selection. It's always the adventurous eaters pushing the picky eaters to try something new and expand their diet. Why is that?
All this.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

That's your take, not necessarily what anyone actually said. Also, nobody said they have "a more refined palate." They stated they like to try new things and eat a healthy diet.

As for "why is that?" it's likely because the picky eaters are not getting a nutritious balanced diet. You'll never convince me that someone who eats mainly junk food - or a VERY limited diet - is getting a nutritious balanced diet.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:18 PM

I think the "why is that" means "why is that your business"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships