Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 07:47 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Why is the OP thinking twice about, yet alone attempting to analyze, what he ‘overhears women saying’? It’s a bit nonsensical; hence the reason I assumed it was a woman who was asking, particularly relative to the title. As a man, I can confidently state most of us don’t eavesdrop on women’s conversations (or care whether they find a good man or not) - unless it was relative to a direct conversation with a friend (outside of a professional environment).
Why does it even matter? It's a discussion forum. You could very well ask why people spend time on here comparing the weighted density of Chicago and Los Angeles.

What you've basically written is a low key ad hominem attack against the OP. In essence, you're saying he's a weirdo, and whether that's true is not germane to the discussion.

Also, "overhearing" a conversation and "eavesdropping" on a conversation are two very different things. You've managed to conflate the two, however. It's not "eavesdropping" if two or more people are having an open conversation with knowledge of your presence. You're making it seem as if the OP has got his ear pressed against the door of the ladies' room waiting to hear all the latest and juiciest gossip.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 10-27-2022 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-27-2022, 10:28 AM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In essence, you're saying he's a weirdo, and whether that's true is not germane to the discussion.
I didn’t say he is a ‘weirdo’; you did. I simply asked (the OP) a question as part of my explanation as to why I (and several others) assumed OP is a woman. My point relative to the thread i.e. one’s own psychological health/self-improvement/attitude in finding a ‘good guy’ still stands regardless of what he is summarizing/doing. That said, perhaps the OP can speak for himself; otherwise, it only adds to the discontinuity of the thread.

Quote:
Also, "overhearing" a conversation and "eavesdropping" on a conversation are two very different things. You've managed to conflate the two, however. It's not "eavesdropping" if two or more people are having an open conversation with knowledge of your presence.
If he heard detail (while allegedly working) from several women (and had interest enough as to start a thread about it), no question he would have crossed the line from ‘overhearing’ into ‘eavesdropping’. That he cares enough or appears emotionally invested in their opinion relative to finding a ‘good guy’ speaks volumes. Else, he’d have no reason to run with it, as Mikala perceptively stated (below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
He is going off of overhearing conversations about "not being able to find a good guy" and running with it. He has no idea why they were saying that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But the OP is off and running with his reasons why....... Basically after overhearing bits of a woman's conversation at work.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:34 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I didn’t say he is a ‘weirdo’; you did. I simply asked (the OP) a question as part of my explanation as to why I (and several others) assumed OP is a woman.
No, you implied he was a weirdo, which was why you said "most of us men don't eavesdrop on women's conversations." The implication there is clear, that the OP is out of the ordinary (aka a "weirdo") since you believe he was eavesdropping. Unless, of course, you believe that eavesdropping on women's conversation isn't weirdo behavior.

Also, I'm not sure why you're quoting that poster like s/he is an authority on the topic. Unless you were there to observe the OP in the office, you can't say whether he's "eavesdropping" or not. In fact, we used the word "overhearing," not the OP. For all you know, these could be conversations that are going on at a lunch table. If you are not certain what the context of these conversations are, then I would encourage you to refrain from any further assumptions about what the OP was or was not doing.

Read more. Assume less.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:40 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
No, you implied he was a weirdo, which was why you said "most of us men don't eavesdrop on women's conversations." The implication there is clear, that the OP is out of the ordinary (aka a "weirdo") since you believe he was eavesdropping. Unless, of course, you believe that eavesdropping on women's conversation isn't weirdo behavior.
Again, it’s not an implication he is a weirdo or some sort of spy, lol; it’s an explanation as to why I thought he was a woman relative to the thread title and some of (what I now know to be) his posts. That said, I do question the point of the thread since learning he is not a woman; and so I (logically) asked. It certainly pertains to the thread in and of itself.

Bottom line, it doesn’t matter if he was eavesdropping or not, he still started a thread relative to such - and titled it as though speaking for himself.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure why you're quoting that poster like s/he is an authority on the topic. Unless you were there to observe the OP in the office, you can't say whether he's "eavesdropping" or not.
Eavesdropping/overhearing is not the issue; hence the reason it’s bizarre you want to argue/defend the OP’s thread/position (whatever it is) by turning it into an unnecessary distinction between ‘overhearing’ vs. ‘eavesdropping’. Point still being, where is he going with any of this? What type of feedback is he seeking relative to the women in his office, and the ‘chit-chat that surrounds him’?

Bottom line, my posts have been highly relevant to the thread/title (even if the point of such remains ambiguous). I never called him a weirdo.

Old 10-27-2022, 03:40 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
This seems to be a good point at which to close the thread. Done.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships