Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
This depends on other aspects then just I.Q.

Ever seen those SUPER geeky smart guys who cave themselves up putting gadgets together, playing dungeons & dragons or WOWC?? Then they become socially awkward, not because of their intelligence as much as their inability to relate to others.

Last I.Q. test (Doctor administered) I was 144. I thought the average was much higher than 90??
That makes sense. Social skills like anything else require practice and a simple number on a test will not make someone social or unsocial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Due to my parents' work (missionaries then pastors), I grew up being very social and interacting with people of all different ages and backgrounds. As part of qualifying for the gifted program in my distract, you had to take an IQ test from the district psychologist. My mother refused to tell me my score because she didn't want it to go to my head, so I had no idea it was 165 for years. I always knew things came easy to me (sports, school, art) and I could do anything I put my mind to, but I just thought that anyone could do anything they wanted to if they just tried. I didn't find out my IQ score until college when I went to get my transcript from high school and saw the results in my file. Since no one ever treated me like a genius, I treated everyone as equals. I have tons of friends and love hanging out.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, has a similarly high IQ and has always known it. His teacher would pull him out of class because he was doing sixth grade math in first grade, so he was labeled as a nerd and that had a huge impact on his social skills. He finally flourished in college because he was finally around other people who were as smart as he was and didn't act like being intelligent was a bad thing. He definitely has a harder time relating to "normal" people because he doesn't have much in common to talk about. Except in sports- he can list the line up of the Yankees for the last 70 years.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

530 posts, read 779,934 times
My IQ is not outrageously high but decent. I have friends all over the board I just find that certain topics go along with a certain group of those friends. I am not sold on this whole IQ thing anyway because I have a family member that reads at a third grade level but she writes poetry that is absolutely tear provoking, granted you have to figure out all the misspelling but it is unbelievable.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 10,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
I have a family member that reads at a third grade level but she writes poetry that is absolutely tear provoking, granted you have to figure out all the misspelling but it is unbelievable.
This brings up the problem with IQ tests they can not test for different types of intelligence ie creative, linguistic, logical, mechanical, and abstract.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I'm just curious about extremes and how they may adversely affect people socially. I know those at the level of retardation have trouble interacting and wonder if the other end of the spectrum feel isolated too. At an average I.Q. of around 90 I think it would only stand to reason that those in the above ranges wish from time to time that they could scrape above the eyelid and enjoy the level of acceptance average people enjoy.
Its more about the I.Q range of current company.

They say anyone with a 30 point difference either way has trouble really communicating with each other.

Ignis aurum probat

Figure that one out - thats where I stand sometimes in tests

Totally ticked off my mensa mom. LOL
My standard test were really high and my grades were really low until beyond HS. (even though I skipped a grade)

I also notice my i.q. tests go up and down due to whatever I am doing.
Working makes you dumb!

I think all adults should take classes every once in awhile to stimulate the mind.

I think anyone can get along though no matter how stupid or smart you are.
There is just certain stuff that will not mesh. I think the socially awkward ones just spend so much time alone they did not have all the social oopsies to learn from so they come off as idealogical and cold.

So I think introverts need to go out a play introvert every once in awhile to stay balanced.

I know one thing I have to do after being really involved in studies is slow my brain down to talking speed that does not sound like the micro machines man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships