Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,001 times

Advertisements

I was raised an only child and I never got to do the things that most kids got to do.As I got older and moved out on my own I became a single mother of one wonderful son. My parents have never had my son to spend the night nor have they ever spent much time with him like most grandparents. They never do anything with him .He just celebrated a birthday and they gave him a watch that was broken. It had a kroger emblem on the box so I took it to that store to see if it could be fixed or to switch another one. I took it to the front desk at Krogers and showed it to the lady and she gave me a strange look. She ask me where I Got it. I told her it was from My mom and the lady got on the phone with her boss and then she ask me if my mom was an employee of Krogers and i told them at one time she was and they told me that these watches are only given out to people who have retired from the company. And my mom has been retired for years. They could not help us with the watch . This all occured on Fathers Day at my church.That morning I was going to spend the day with my father and in church my mom came up and called me a liar and it really hurt my feelings and I almost left. She said it so loudly that people behind me heard her. I was so hurt .
I told her i had something for my dad and they both told me they were not going to be home. So i gave my dad his fathers day presents any way and he threw them in the church parking lot. I really love my parents but everytime I am around them they say I dont care about them, and that is not true . They have not been to my house in 2 years and i have been to theirs. They will driv ethrough my town but wont stop to see me. My parents when they call me they always block their num,ber. I dont know why. They also claim they call me but they dont I have caller id on my phone and they dont call or leave messages. I have always wanted normal parents like everyone else but I dont.When I see others with their families I always think why cant mine be like that . I have a wonderful son and we always are doing something I try to be a better parent to him than mine was to me.All my life i was told i was stupid and also called other bad names by my dad. But I know I am better than that I have jesus in my heart.

do your parents act like mine?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:37 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
You sound like a loving wonderful person and mother who wants a better life for your son.

Yes there are people who are not capable of giving love, even to their own children and grandchildren. I would not expect them to change.

My parents are like that. Always critical of me, no time for their grandchildren, very harsh and mean. It is a large heartache, because as children we are programmed to love our parents, and when they don't offer us love and nurturing, it is hurtful.

Know that you are worthy of love, worthy of loving people in your life, and go for that love to other sources than your parents. It sounds like you have a strong faith, so connect with loving people in that community. It sounds like you are parent, so connect with other parents for support and encouragement. Surround yourself with people who do treat you with the respect and dignity that are yours by birthright.

Above all take good care of yourself, treat yourself with caring, respect, dignity, and thoughtfulness. Ultimately it is an inside job to know we are worthy of love and loving.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Sometimes it is better to let go than to live with hate and fear in your heart, no matter how much you love the person. An all too typical story is that of a husband who abuses his wife, the wife feels that she is not good enough for him and doesn't want to let go. Parents are people too and you need to mind your emotional health, personally I would not let anyone that is potentially dangerous near my child, that includes hateful parents.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
There is a great book that Joyce Landorf wrote called, "Irregular People" She talked about sometimes we have parents, or someone in our lives, who just aren't normal. We expect them to react normally but they just don't have the ability to do that. So we are always frustrated. It sounds like they hurt you over and over again and that just is very hard to take.
It sounds like you need to write them a letter and ask for some clarification. Do you know any of their friends who you could ask what is wrong?? Maybe a family counselor. When you have checked things out then you might come to the conclusion that they may not be a positive role in your life. Maybe find some older friends from church who you can spend time with and enjoy.
I'm so sorry this is so stressful and hurtful for you and your child.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
I was raised an only child and I never got to do the things that most kids got to do.As I got older and moved out on my own I became a single mother of one wonderful son. My parents have never had my son to spend the night nor have they ever spent much time with him like most grandparents. They never do anything with him .He just celebrated a birthday and they gave him a watch that was broken. It had a kroger emblem on the box so I took it to that store to see if it could be fixed or to switch another one. I took it to the front desk at Krogers and showed it to the lady and she gave me a strange look. She ask me where I Got it. I told her it was from My mom and the lady got on the phone with her boss and then she ask me if my mom was an employee of Krogers and i told them at one time she was and they told me that these watches are only given out to people who have retired from the company. And my mom has been retired for years. They could not help us with the watch . This all occured on Fathers Day at my church.That morning I was going to spend the day with my father and in church my mom came up and called me a liar and it really hurt my feelings and I almost left. She said it so loudly that people behind me heard her. I was so hurt .
I told her i had something for my dad and they both told me they were not going to be home. So i gave my dad his fathers day presents any way and he threw them in the church parking lot. I really love my parents but everytime I am around them they say I dont care about them, and that is not true . They have not been to my house in 2 years and i have been to theirs. They will driv ethrough my town but wont stop to see me. My parents when they call me they always block their num,ber. I dont know why. They also claim they call me but they dont I have caller id on my phone and they dont call or leave messages. I have always wanted normal parents like everyone else but I dont.When I see others with their families I always think why cant mine be like that . I have a wonderful son and we always are doing something I try to be a better parent to him than mine was to me.All my life i was told i was stupid and also called other bad names by my dad. But I know I am better than that I have jesus in my heart.

Judge not least you be judged...

move on.. sooner or later your parents will come around.. but you know.. there might be a possibility it may never happen. But the first question of the day is.. why stop your life waiting on what your parents are going to do? You have your child.. deal with him.. make his life as well as you can manage it.

The bad thing about parents is that they think they can treat their kids without respect.. even after they have grown up and left the house. This is apparant in your situation. Dont dwell on it.. move along and make your life what you can. Dwelling on it will only eat away at you... if they were to come to your home every weekend.. would you be stressed out after they left? If the answer is yes.. maybe it is a gods blessing that they do not come around.. If that isnt the answer.. then remember this.. you can bring the horse to the water.. but you can not make it drink..

sooner or later the parental units will come around.. if not.. maybe your better off with out them. Harsh yes.. but the gods honest truth...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM

14 posts, read 37,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
No my parents do not act like yours... Focus on your own life and who you are. What would you do if one of your parents were transsexual and you were physically abused as a child and put in an orphanage?

Yeah... that's right, you wouldn't give a crap about your parents and just keep your **** together.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 4,227 times
sounds like your parents really stink man

Old 07-29-2008, 10:48 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
No, they don't. My parents divorced right after I got married. My dad remarried (can't stand his wife, who put a bridge between us, although my dad just passed away last week)
My dad was always good for gifts. He'd always make sure he came by to drop off presents, whether it was birthdays or Christmas. I told him I would rather have his time as a father and grandpa but for some reason he couldn't do that.
I'm very close to my mom so no issues there. She's very opinionated though to the point of really pi$$ing me off sometimes,lol...then I just take a deep breath and tell her I'll call her later and give myself time to cool off.
You just have to learn the way people are and what they are capable of giving and decide if it's worth it to have them in your life or just accept them for what they are.

I'm sorry that they behave this way to you

Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
You probably don't want to hear something so blunt from a stranger, but then, that's me so here goes.

Your parents are creeps. I would distance myself and create a life without them. They are not worthy of you or your son. It will be difficult, but you'll be better off. Attend a different church, perhaps move to another community. Push the "delete" button on the keyboard of your life and fill it with uplifting people.

You deserve better.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Bobmulk. Cut them out of your life. They are obviously very negative people and you don't need that. Move on with your own life and your son. Some people are just aholes and theres nothing you can do about it. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships