Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 PM

271 posts, read 1,061,373 times

Advertisements

I say yes to the cash bar. You can have wine at the table for your guests and have a bar with a variety of cocktail drinks that people can pay for. Vodka, Tequila, Rum ect., can be extremely costly and i don't see anything wrong with people paying for these drinks themselves. I have been to many weddings where there was no bar at all and i prefer the option of paying for my own drink than not to have any at all.

Oh, but if it's a Mexican party..........well then couple of kegs will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,478 times
No cash bar. Wedding are enough of an expense to the guests as is. Would you throw a party at your home and have a cash bar? Seriously, I know it's expensive but like another poster said, there are better places to make cuts. I don't think it's right even to do wine/beer only. What if you don't drink that but want a mixed drink? You should make your guests feel as welcome as possible. Just my opinion. Oh, and I have been to a dry wedding before and they are torture!!

Old 08-01-2008, 03:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Cash bars at wedding receptions as an option? Boo/hiss. Or it's okay, doesn't matter.
Our wedding was my wife's second, so we didn't get assistance from either side of the family for funding. We decided to provide a few free drinks to everyone as a start, but after a certain number the car turned into a cash bar. I don't remember how many we provided. I think three.

Given that we also provided a full dinner to 200 people and I was unemployed at the time, I don't think that was unreasonable. It was expensive enough as it was.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:22 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
No cash bar

Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
nnyl
I have seen many places that will charge you(the host) per drink, they track the number of drinks served
You might want to see if this is an option especially if only half the guests will be drinking
Also what time of year is the wedding ?
Remember most places have slow times, should the wedding be during this time they are more agreeable to negotiating especially if business has slowed because a lot of folks are cutting back now days.

As to what to serve, that again will depend on the time of the wedding if you have a 5 pm ceremony followed by a 6 or 7 pm reception you will have to do something a bit more substantial
You might want to compare the pricing for heavy hors'd'oeuvre stations vs a full buffet
With an afternoon wedding say 1 with the reception at 2 or 3 you can get by with more simple hors'd'oeuvres

Another option I have seen folks do is a early wedding around 11 with a brunch reception following
They had the stations like made to order omelets,a belgian waffle station, lots of fresh fruit and different pastries , along with mimosas and both a plain and a spiked punch.
This went over very well because it was different than the standard usual wedding fare.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 PM

576 posts, read 994,485 times
Wedding (thus far) tentatively set for 5:00 p.m., reception to follow at country club (located about 15 mins. drive away). W/that as the tentative wedding start time, we priced (thus far, but things are still fluid at this point) a buffet dinner and wine/beer only option.

But we are thinking of moving the wedding to 7:00 p.m. or 7:30 p.m., reception to follow. And change the food to hors'd'oeuvres, and then of course, keep the wine/beer option included.

Spring wedding, 2009.

As to serving cocktails, that'll be on the individual if they want that. If I opt for beer/wine, I'm only going that far. And to be truthful about it, it's only the bride's side of the family that are drinkers really. And we are just down-home sorts, none of us into fancy signature cocktails or otherwise. Beer/wine does it for all of us. We aren't into liquor per se, any of us. So I'm not real concerned about offering cocktails also, in addition to the beer/wine option.

I haven't checked w/the venue. I do remember when pricing things, there are some venues that you just give them an open cc and tell them the limit you want. When that limit gets reached, you tell them, that's it, last call for alcohol, it gets cut off.

Maybe I should check that w/the venue we've really set our sights on. Maybe it's available there.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
A full service cash bar is sure fire way make sure that everybody remembers the wedding.....for how cheap it was! Do you want people to talk about how they had to pay for drinks or how beautiful the brides looked? At the very least have an open wine/beer bar.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:29 PM

106 posts, read 307,244 times
I'm adding another nay to the cash bar.

Also for a wedding at 5 or 7 pm if you want people to stick around hors d'oeuvres aren't going to be enough. Perhaps if it was an early afternoon wedding that was going to end early you could do that but if you have an evening wedding people are going to expect a full meal and starve or they will rush the hors d'oeuvres like ravenous beasts.

I know it can get pricey- I'm planning a wedding myself and the bar options were almost as much or more than the dinner for our guests.

We are just going to have them keep a record of the drinks and pay the drink tab afterward at the regular cost that they offer their drinks for. We have the same issue with a number of people not being drinkers yet we would have to pay per guest for the bar. My fiance's parents are chipping in and their portion will probably cover the bar tab.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
NO, NO, NO to a cash bar! It is VERY rude to have your guests pay for drinks at an affair to which you have invited them. Similarly, it is highly rude for guests to disparage that which has been provided them. No guest should EVER complain that booze (or anything else) was not provided.

If you cannot afford booze, do beer/wine. If that is out of your budget, either downsize the guest list or change the venue to a more affordable place. Cash bar at a wedding is a violation of Etiquette 101.

Amd FWIW, I have the fondest of memories of the most modest wedding I ever attended -- a daytime wedding with only punch and cake in the church basement. It was memorable for the couple (so obviously in love) and the refreshing simplicity of it all. It was a reminder in many ways of what really matters at a wedding.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 AM

147 posts, read 559,432 times
cash bar = come to my event/party/wedding and pay for it too...it's an 11 on the 1 to 10 ICK factor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships