Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to know if your SO was cheating on you?
Yes I would want to know the truth: 58 95.08%
No, I would prefer not to know if my SO doesn't tell me personally: 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think most of the people who advised the OP not to tell on that other thread are either men or have cheated themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I'm starting to think most of the people who advised the OP not to tell on that other thread are either men or have cheated themselves.
I'm a bit confused myself - the results here don't seem to mesh with the advice there. Most people would want to know themselves, but wouldn't do someone else the courtesy of letting them know. Hmm...

Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Because that would require them being a shoulder to cry on and being a real friend that brings over way too much chocolate therapy at 3 am via phone request?

Maybe?

Just going with the whole selfish thinking theme about the subject....
Thats the vibe it gives me.

"Screw the world and its well being its all about MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thats what matters"

Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
I'd want to know... whomever wants to tell me, that's fine.

If my SO didn't step up and tell me, that'd be another knock against him. Stepping up and taking ownership of one's faults means a lot to me.

And I'd want to know 'cuz where ever they've been... I get to go as well, if I'm sleeping with them while they're sleeping around.

And if I knew a SO of my friend was sleeping around, I'd let them know. I don't lie... especially not for other people.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
I would want somone to tell me yes. However, as you can see, not everyone would want to know .....even if you are somone who would want to know how do you know the person you would be telling is one of the "want to know" ppl....what if they are the "don't want to know" type??. If it were somone I was close enough to and I knew them well enough I would definitly tell them.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I don't think I would want to know.
Me, neither.

Quote:
Some people are worth holding on to.
We have a saying back in St. Olaf that roughly translates to: I'd rather share a steak with my neighbor than have a hamburger all to myself. I certainly don't care to hear about the sharing, though, and of course ideally it shouldn't happen. However, if it does come down to such a choice, I might wanna have the steak… On the other hand, perhaps I think so because I haven't had any prior problems with infidelity. I might change my tune if I face it for real...

Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
I think you might have left out a choice in your poll, Hobs...

"No, I don't want to know until I myself find out"...

Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
This thread is making me lose faith in humanity.
(moved from other thread)
Don't worry, you don't need to lose faith. There are only a handful of people on here answering, most people in society love butting into other's business, breaking up relationships, getting revenge and sitting by watching smugly as they break someone's heart.

Quote:
I advised not to tell. I'm not a man or a cheater. So regarding the other thread. First of all, I don't believe we are getting the whole story. How a woman can go an entire year dating someone and not know he is married and/or getting married is just plain weird to me. I know for myself, not ever going to his home, meeting his family, having his home number, spending nights at his home sure would raise a big red flag for me.

But anyway, back to the topic, as someone who has lived through two situations where a friend was told of the spouse cheating, it NEVER turns out good, friends are lost, horrible things are said that can never be taken back, there is always resentment and the spouse always goes back - the person who thinks they are being a friend by telling usually ends up being the worst off. If I wanted to inform all the spouses that I know of that are cheating I would be on the phone all day long leaving a long trail of broken hearts and broken families. The OP was in a bad situation, it is the husband's responsibility to fess up to the affair, not hers. Besides, I've said this many times on here before and I'll say it again. Nobody knows what goes on inside a marriage.

And to the OP on this post about wanting to know. I would want to know from my spouse, not from some random girl on the phone who is gonna give me dates and times, now if you have photos - maybe that would be different. I agree with Miu, maybe a random note, but still I don't think any woman is going to believe this without concrete proof.

Where's Shuke? I'm sure he has something good to add to this thread.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
YES, YES YES, Tell me! I have known people who were cheated on and everyone talks about that person, badly.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
If your significant other was cheating on you, would you want someone to tell you?

So many are advising not to get involved in others relationships, but I know for me that I would want to know the truth. Not knowing would be living a lie and I would want to know and make any decisions based on informed knowledge.

So, if your SO were cheating on you and your SO isn't going to fess up themselves, would you want someone else to tell you, be it a friend, family member, or the other woman/ other man?
Yes, I would want to know, more for the health hazard purposes (ehm, possible diseases that the cheating spouse/ SO may bring home via intercourse outside the marriage/ relationship), but also, of course, for the betrayal purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships