Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so I have a question & I hope it's not a stupid one. I've been dating this man off & on since July. I'm 21, a virgin, and a college student graduating in May, I will be an elementary school teacher & he's 40, an engineer, & unmarried. Furthermore, he is a gentleman & has made a good life for himself here in the States. He is very respectful but sometimes he acts a little possessive & one time we had an argument & he got a little short-tempered which was a little scary..

Anyway, I've broken up w/ him twice because he didn't want to tell me his age but each time we've made up (the 2nd time I gave him a chance, & the 3rd time it was the generic "Merry Christmas" text that lead me to fall for him again), he brings me flowers, Indian sweets, and other little gifts (CD's, gift cards). This Saturday we reunited after 2 months of being apart & he brought me some expensive perfume that he'd purchased. At first I didn't want to accept his gift, but I did & I felt bad for doing so...even though he's caused a lot of the issues in the relationship...

But even when I broke up w/ him, he had been talking of marriage & things like that & asked if I was ready for a long-term commitment & on Saturday he was saying that he wanted me to go to India with him in February & I'm just wondering if he's serious. He has not yet met my family & his immediate family is in India.

My questions are:
-is a 40 yr old unmarried guy really serious about a 21 yr old girl who has dumped him twice & brings her gifts really serious about her?

-he calls me a "friend" but has used "girlfriend" interchangeably, how does he REALLY see me?

-is he serious about marriage or is he just blowing smoke up my butt?

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 12-29-2009 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Run away quickly. Research Indian marriages. Run faster.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Probably taking you to India to meet his family means he's serious about marriage.

Just make sure you're okay with cultural adaptations you will need to make. Marrying outside your culture can mean a lot of adjustments.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM

^^^Yes, so far I've just been taking it step by step. Please don't judge me on this topic, I am not a golddigger. He has offered to help me (financially) but I have NEVER taken anything from him. EVER. I just thought I'd preface that for future reference.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Run away quickly. Research Indian marriages. Run faster.
I don't think all Indian marriages are terrible - but some Indian women living here say they won't marry a man from there, even when their parents have one all ready and waiting for them.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:45 PM

865 posts, read 2,432,833 times
If you are not Indian, I would be concerned about this situation. Outside of the fact that there will be cultural differences, you may be at odds with the new inlaws from day 1, b/c you're not Indian. And if you separate, and he takes the kids to India to "visit Grandma and Grandpa", and then never returns....

You're only 21. I wouldn't rush anything yet. If he wants to take you to India, he is getting serious. But take your time and make sure this is what you want, forever.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:46 PM

To me it sounds like he's serious about marriage, some of the on and off stuff may have been him thinking about some of the cultural aspects of a marriage with a non-Indian.

If you want, go ahead, meet his family, make sure he meets yours, study up, make sure it's what's right. Be careful though. Make sure you understand the expectations, your role and so on.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 PM

I would also be very careful about that large age gap. That works for some but think long and hard about it for yourself.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would also be very careful about that large age gap. That works for some but think long and hard about it for yourself.
Right, I'm completely aware of the age difference. In fact, I think it plays a huge part in our relationship. I am pretty mature about it though, I did not seek him out. The whole thing just kind of happened...

Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,558,304 times
My husband is 20 years older than me.

That being said, what is this stuff about him not wanting to tell you how old he is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships