Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,354 times

Advertisements

I just need confirmation on whether my musings are true or false.

I'm sixteen and have spent my freshman and sophomore high school years in a very small, Southern town. As a sidenote, I didn't grow up there. I spent the majority of my life in a medium sized city.

I've noticed that the guys at my school and county as a whole have never paid me much attention. Many girls have said that I'm pretty and once at a party, a mother there cornered me on my way to the bathroom and kept telling me how "beautiful" I was but flattery from guys is pretty much nada. I have many guy friends but these are all from classes. Besides that, guys practically act as if I'm not even there unless I initiate contact.

This spring break, I visited Chicago (which by the way I fell in love with - I want to live there in the near future!). It floored me how much male attention I received. It was a huge contrast to my everyday life at my high school and around town. When I returned, everything was back to normal.

The reason I ask the question stated in the title is because I know that I don't fit the bill of the typical teenage "hot girl" (even though I do cheer LOL). I'm half-Korean and half-French. My hair's dark brown and long. My skin isn't super tan since I don't spend a good portion of my life in the tanning bed. I don't cake on make-up and my every day look is bronze eye shadow, mascara, blush, and Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipstick (it makes your lips look flushed) or less. I don't wear a size 0 or even a size 2. I'm a size 6 and shaped like an hourglass which means I actually have some hips compared to the rest of my friends. The only thing that guys ever notice are my lips... and that's because they're plushy.

I guess what I'm asking is that generally do guys in big cities have a more open view of beauty since the diversity and culture in cities are much more varied? And are the boys in smaller towns more stuck on "Barbie" type girls since that's what they have been told is "hot"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
I grew up in a small southern town of 1441---HEE-HAW..SALUTE..
the barbie type girls did get alot of attention thats for sure. Maybe you should iniate contact more. Not all guys like the barbie types, for one, too many guys to try and defend against for her time, I cant speak for big cities, never lived in one. I always liked the girls that were easy to talk to, and talked to me first, maybe i was shy..idk.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:59 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
My experience is that, contrary to popular belief, people that live in rural areas are much much much more shallow and superficial than people who live in big cities. I have no idea why. I'd assume it's the countless number of hours rural people spend in front of a tv set, constantly being inundated with crap telling them what beauty is supposed to be (blonde hair, blue eyes, big boobs). This, in a sense, becomes their reality. While people in big cities have a much easier time making a distinction between reality and fiction because they are exposed to much more culture on a regular basis and are generally more open-minded.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyxe View Post

I'm sixteen...
I'm half-Korean and half-French. My hair's dark brown and long. My skin isn't super tan...my every day look is bronze eye shadow, mascara, blush, and Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipstick (it makes your lips look flushed) or less. I don't wear a size 0 or even a size 2. I'm a size 6 and shaped like an hourglass which means I actually have some hips compared to the rest of my friends. The only thing that guys ever notice are my lips... and that's because they're plushy.

And are the boys in smaller towns more stuck on "Barbie" type girls since that's what they have been told is "hot"?
I wouldn't worry about it because any minute now your mail box will start to fill with messages from tons of guys.

Unfortunately most of them will be bald, fat, married and in their fortys, but they will offer to bring all the wine cooler you can drink.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I wouldn't worry about it because any minute now your mail box will start to fill with messages from tons of guys.
LOL - just what I was thinking - that sounds like a stunning combination.

Having been a big-city boy for many years, and also having been sentenced...I mean, having been privileged to live in several small towns, I believe that you'll find both types of guys in both locations. The NUMBER of each might differ, enough that you'll bang your head against the wall in frustration; and the city boys will probably be a bit more open to different races and "looks", like you said, whereas most of the country boys will probably be the "good ol' boy" type.

Of course, that all depends exactly where you're located...there are small towns and then there are redneck / hick towns - it's all a matter of degree.

Be your own woman - that'll draw the right kind of guys to you.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:25 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Having lived in both small towns and big cities, I have noticed the same phenonoma. Girls are hit on more in cities than in small towns.

While the percentage of guys looking to "get lucky" is the same in both the city and rural areas, the populous and anonomyous nature of the city means that more guys are willing to make a pass at any girl they happen to see walking down the street.

A one night stand comes with far fewer repercussions in the faceless city than it does in smaller communities where everyone knows your face and your business. Therefore, country boys will tend to be more discerning about whom they make a pass at, realizing that they will probably see this person again, and have to live with the results of their courting. However, in the city, you can simply disappear from a casual relationship; pick another coffee shop/resturant/grocery store/club/whatever to frequent until "the heat is off" so to speak.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 PM

61 posts, read 491,058 times
I agree with sponger42. In my past I had more of the barbie doll look, but a lot of guys I knew at school were not interested or if they were they didn't show it. I think it was because we were friends and they didn't want to hurt or use me or get themselves into trouble. They wanted girls they could fool around with and leave. I wasn't one of those, even if I may have looked the part. At your age I had a lot of fun just going out with a group. Don't worry about dating yet. I know that is hard, but things change a lot after you graduate and go into the workforce or College. Also don't think of changing yourself to fit what you think some guy wants. I've been there and done that and it doesn't work.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but don't reply to any of those emails that Fat Freddy was referring to.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyxe View Post
I just need confirmation on whether my musings are true or false.

The reason I ask the question stated in the title is because I know that I don't fit the bill of the typical teenage "hot girl" I'm half-Korean and half-French.

I guess what I'm asking is that generally do guys in big cities have a more open view of beauty since the diversity and culture in cities are much more varied?
Yes. Your musings are true and you seem to have an excellent grasp of the realities for someone new to a small town who is different. If your gut instinct is telling you you'll encounter more openness and social opportunity in Chicago, you can probably trust your instincts. Go for it!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
I live in the city of Los Angeles and it really depends in what part of the city you live here that determines whether you are 'Hot, Beautiful, Pretty, Gorgeous, or O.k.'. Guys in East Los Angeles might have different opinions on what is 'hot' than the guys in 'West L.A. Overall, in Los Angeles, you really have to stand out amongst the millions of girls to get a guys attention. I would have opinioned the complete opposite from your post. Perhaps, small town guys are much more respectful in that aspect but Ive never really lived in a small town.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,354 times
This little town is in fact a redneck town. A small-minded one too. Sometimes I wonder why I ever chose to move here in the first place.

I agree with the poster who said that people from rural areas are more shallow... I know this to be true from experience. Living in small towns is like living in a bubble. The only exposure you get is from the television and internet and we all know how realistic that is.

About the guys in their 40's comment, that has some truth behind it. I get hit on much more by guys in their 30's and 40's then guys my own age. I don't even want to know what that says about me LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships