Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:38 PM

101 posts, read 315,167 times

Advertisements

I am curious to get everyones opinion on this issue. I am a Catholic and always believed in getting married then living together. Now, I do not follow all the Catholic beliefs. I am FOR birth controll pills, if you do not want children and want to enjoy a physical relationship and I am NOT a virgin. Therefore, I am not some prude who sticks to it all. Just always wanted to be married before living together. Being Catholic may or may not have anything to do with that. I know the times have changed and that is common.

I am trying to convince my significant other that I need to see a ring first!

What do you think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 05:44 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
I am from a different generation, but I thoroughly regret that living with my partner before marriage.

Frankly, if I had lived with my partner for a month or three, I probably wouldn't have gotten married (then).

Dating and living with someone is so different and I feel I didn't appreciate that sufficiently.

Just my experience (and back then, living together was more rare).

Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 PM

77 posts, read 320,033 times
I've lived with my fiancee for two years now. It's hard to say exactly how much this will benefit us in the future, as the wedding is still five months away. However, I think it will eliminate a lot of surprises and possible problems. It's allowed us to get used to the living situation - being around each other ALL the time, respecting each other's things, and finding things to do when we want to get away from each other. I really don't see that much change when we actually tie the knot. I know there are things to consider like joint bank accounts and whatnot, but I know she won't throw me out on the street if I leave my dirty socks on the floor.

I kind of equate it to buying a new car without test driving it. Sure, it might look great, and everything seems to be in running order, but maybe the seats aren't comfortable. Maybe it has some annoying rattle when you get it out on the open highway. Best to figure these things out before you make the purchase.

Of course, I understand that living together before marriage is not for everyone, and there are religious and financial concerns that might cause some to object. In my particular situation, everything worked out nicely. I'd say the best solution would be to talk it out with your significant other, and ultimately do what's best for you two. No one else's opinion really matters.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Default Works for some

I really can't say Yay or Nay.

I would want to have had many good discussions on every aspect of facing life's challenges and if I was convinced that the Other Person was worth the Risk--then I would just as soon have the blessings of the church and state.

I also would not hesitate to get a divorce if my decision proved to be incorrect. There is the spiritual/romantic/religious side to Love/marriage and a pragmatic side. Just no sense in hurting each other and hurting children or extended family.

Get married, try your best--part if need be. Be civilized.

my $.02--
(some people can have a deep and stable relationship without being married --at this point in my life --I think I would be ready to try that... and I could care less about people's private lives... that is just me --I don't need/want to know much about people's private lives--happy for them if things are going well--empathize when things are not...lots of bumps on the journey...)

Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
I am curious to get everyones opinion on this issue. I am a Catholic and always believed in getting married then living together. Now, I do not follow all the Catholic beliefs. I am FOR birth controll pills, if you do not want children and want to enjoy a physical relationship and I am NOT a virgin. Therefore, I am not some prude who sticks to it all. Just always wanted to be married before living together. Being Catholic may or may not have anything to do with that. I know the times have changed and that is common.

What do you think???
Times may have changed and people may live together more than they did years ago, but the Word of God has not changed. The Bible teaches this is not right and that's why I believe it's wrong.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:04 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I may sound very "old school", but I believe that you shouldn't live with someone unless you're married to him or her. If you don't trust someone enough to get married, why trust that person enough to live with them (and subsequently become vulnerable to their financial woes, etc.)? I've wondered the same thing about buying a home or making some other huge purchase with someone you're not married to. Obviously, there is something holding you back from making that commitment; is it really a good idea to go into business with such a person?!

Many people these days say that there's no difference between living together and getting married. I say, "Fine. Then why don't you get married if you feel that way, if it's really no big deal?"

Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Many people these days say that there's no difference between living together and getting married. I say, "Fine. Then why don't you get married if you feel that way, if it's really no big deal?"
Please remember that not everyone in our great country is allowed that luxury.

Interesting times we live in, eh?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
I know people that have lived together first and some that have not. There's no guarantees so just do what your heart is telling you to do. You probably already know what you really want to do anyway.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:30 PM

77 posts, read 320,033 times
As you've seen here, it ultimitely comes down to what YOU want to do. Some people will agree with it, some people will disagree. When it comes down to it, you just have to weigh your beliefs and values and make your own decision. Then forget what anyone else thinks.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Politics aside (sorry, I got sidetracked!) I see two larger issues here:
1. Conflicting Values
2. Lack of respect

Meaning...your SO ~might~ have different values than yours re: marriage and religion.

Also, after hashing out those differences, does he respect you enough to understand and acknowledge your values?

Those are big issues. Potentially deal-breakers.

Good luck and best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships