Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,455,118 times

Advertisements

Grrr. I have this friend who is over the age of 50 and her whole world revolves around one guy or another. I feel used and I'm trying to decide whether to just tell her how I feel or walk away.

The worst thing is I JUST got out of a meeting where I had to sit and tell a 17 year old girl to not make her BF the entire world, while her therapist sat in the meeting putting the same thing across, while her mother was almost in tears begging to be important.

I come home to an email telling me her ex husband wants to get married again and blah, blah, blah. Of course, she completely glossed over the last email I sent to her saying she'd comment later, but never did. Now she wants to know what her therapist would have to say about this.

I am ready to tell her to just go get remarried and that I am done listening to her boy stories, but I may be better served by just disappearing.

Anyway, I feel like a good-enough-to-send-emails-to-you-telling-you-about-my-life (thank you very much as we are coming up on the holidays and I am single) but not good enough to ever talk to on the phone or spend time with.

What would you do? Egads, why am I in this situation? Bad Karma? I mean, I can see it with a 17 year old, but someone who is 53?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,969,846 times
You should sleep with her man. Pop her one dude

Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You should sleep with her man. Pop her one dude
LOL, I've never met her man but seen pics and he ain't my type. Plus, I am not that kind of girl.

Honestly, I work in mental health and to come home to this kind of "stuff." Aye, aye, aye.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 PM

A lot of people that work in mental health are creepy, dude. It's like they have no soul or something LOL...oh well, you should know what to do since you're so smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
LOL, I've never met her man but seen pics and he ain't my type. Plus, I am not that kind of girl.

Honestly, I work in mental health and to come home to this kind of "stuff." Aye, aye, aye.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
A lot of people that work in mental health are creepy, dude. It's like they have no soul or something LOL...oh well, you should know what to do since you're so smart
Well, your first mistake is in calling me "dude." Secondly, I ought to know a lot of people are creepy in mental health as my last BF works in our sister company and is a verbal abuser. I think I get this.

But I am not creepy, naive, perhaps, but not creepy. I made the "mistake?" of leaving a banking career to "make a difference." Jury is still out on this. But this thread isn't about that. One never knows. I still might make a "difference" to one kid who may go on to achieve something great, so I guess in some weird way I "might" have a positive impact on the world. That was my intent, at least.

Anyway, I digress. But you digressed first.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Get rid of your friend by telling her she is a negative drag and you are sick of her and never want to hear from her again.
That should do the trick. Good luck

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Get rid of your friend by telling her she is a negative drag and you are sick of her and never want to hear from her again.
That should do the trick. Good luck
LOL, that would sure do it! However, I am slightly opposed to putting that kind of negative energy out there. My two choices are to just be honest and disclose, or disappear, gradually, you know how it goes. People get busy and lose touch.

This sorta stuff isn't good for my mental health. And y'all know how creepy and soul-less we are in behavioral health

Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Be direct and honest through email, IM, or text. Do not fade out because that is the weak cowards way out of the difficult situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
LOL, that would sure do it! However, I am slightly opposed to putting that kind of negative energy out there. My two choices are to just be honest and disclose, or disappear, gradually, you know how it goes. People get busy and lose touch.

This sorta stuff isn't good for my mental health. And y'all know how creepy and soul-less we are in behavioral health

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Be direct and honest through email, IM, or text. Do not fade out because that is the weak cowards way out of the difficult situations.
Thank you, artsyguy. I now pronounce you City-Data therapist No sarcasm intended. Appreciate your perspective.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,437,045 times
Your friend sounds like she is not such a great friend. She sounds pretty self-centered to me. And a 50-year-old or older woman who hasn't learned by now doesn't want to learn.
Save yourself!
Don't be so available. Find other friends, with more balanced personalities. Get involved in something new.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships