Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 AM

67 posts, read 227,609 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I haven't had many relationships. That's why I'm pretty inexperienced handling emotional outbursts by my partner. To me, it feels as if she gets emotionally agitated pretty easy. A normal argument between partners and my girlfriend starts crying and getting hysterical.
I really don't like that behaviour of hers. As an adult she shouldn't get as emotional. It's a behavior I know from children.
I don't want to make it sound crazy. It's not that she's behaving in such a way every day. But still, even if it happens just every couple of weeks, I feel her reaction is too exaggerated. I'm wondering if women are generally more emotionally unstable than men? How can my partner develop more emotional balance? What's the right amount of emotionality for an adult?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering if women are generally more emotionally unstable than men? How can my partner develop more emotional balance? What's the right amount of emotionality for an adult?

Thanks

The answer lies in this question: What do you call a deer with no eyes? A No Eye Deer (No Idea).

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Happens every couple of weeks you say? PMS? I'll probably get a tongue lashing for that by some of our female members here, but honestly, that would be my first guess if her moods seem to swing every three weeks or so.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Maybe its some kind of coping mechanism, if she gets too stressed maybe she developed a habit of doing that so people don't "push" her too much??

IDK, maybe I'm getting a little heavy for a Friday.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Happens every couple of weeks you say? PMS? I'll probably get a tongue lashing for that by some of our female members here, but honestly, that would be my first guess if her moods seem to swing every three weeks or so.
Not from me. Last few years I can't stand myself around this time of the month and it would be really hard for somebody else to do it! Once I traced a major outburst/decision back to such a day. I guess I'll always wonder if things could've been different had it not been such an unfortunate day...

And, well, most women ARE more emotional in general.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Well to put your mind at ease, her behavior is not indicitive of the entire female population. She may have an emotional imbalance or as Coolhand pointed out, PMS....(tongue lashing is coming)

She may pull this little "theatrical stunt" to get her way or to stop the argurment altogether. Some men can't stand to see a woman cry and will fold easily under the tears.

Maybe you should talk with her about it during her "off" time in a calm and non-defensive manner. A word of advice, DO NOT OFFER HER MIDOL!

Last edited by seeniorita; 07-30-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
I personally don't think it's normal for an adult woman to cry every couple of weeks.

How long as this been going on?

Has anything stressful occurred in her life, that you know of?

Do you know what usually precipitates it?

Are they real tears or crocodile tears?

How do you react when she cries?

I guess, all my questions prove that it doesn't sound like she is emotionally healthy or has learned how to express her frustrations appropriately.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And, well, most women ARE more emotional in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
A word of advice, DO NOT OFFER HER MIDOL!

Antihero,

"You in a heap o' trouble, boy".

First of all,
Women: How much emotionality is normal?

Women and normal never go in the same sentance.

I will list all I know about women, below this line.

Nada.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,465 times
How much emotionality is normal? It would take legitimate research and well-done studies to answer that question. Some women are going to be more emotional than others, though.

I can say that flipping out over a routine disagreement every week or two seems a little much to me. If it is really more like every 3 weeks, then other's guesses of PMS might be worth consideration. Before I started taking the pill regularly PMS really wrecked my mood. Any small frustration was so much more likely to produce tears, I would be depressed for several days for no reason, and I once had an EPIC shouting match with my mother over some disagreement like I was spoiling for a fight when normally that is the exact opposite of how I deal with confrontation.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I might agree with you if it was happening once a month but every couple weeks is more like twice a month and that's too often for PMS (for most women, at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships