Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

I was just told those things were not traditional... Any more votes on them?

Whatever... I'd rather have something edible as opposed to traditional anyway.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
Our Yankee as you put it Thanksgiving always included tapioca pudding, puff pastry with egg custard and rhubarb pie as deserts. I've changed the way I make yams or sweet potatoes by baking them off with a can of coconut milk instead of all the sugar but we always had them. I was never a fan of chestnuts in the stuffing but the celery, onion white wine, reduced turkey broth and lemon I do add.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Traditional might depend on what area you are in. I think mashed potatoes would be ok. We usually have green beans, not the casserole. Corn is always good. Mom always made a cranberry salad. If you have a kroger or such place usually has sides available or nuke something frozen from Sams' club.
Sometime I just bring an appetizer. Some bree and crackers would be easy.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Traditional might depend on what area you are in. I think mashed potatoes would be ok. We usually have green beans, not the casserole. Corn is always good. Mom always made a cranberry salad. If you have a kroger or such place usually has sides available or nuke something frozen from Sams' club. Sometime I just bring an appetizer. Some bree and crackers would be easy.
Thank you, dear. I'm thinking along those lines, too. Just wanted it to be perhaps half-as* traditional...

Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
In my fam. Im known for bringing the weird food. They all kind of look forward to gatherings just to see what I brought. My family members make a point to ask what it is before they eat it then they give me a disbelieving look. Just because one year I hit a deer and brought it home and cooked the ham he is afraid all the meat will be road kill.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
In my fam. Im known for bringing the weird food. They all kind of look forward to gatherings just to see what I brought. My family members make a point to ask what it is before they eat it then they give me a disbelieving look. Just because one year I hit a deer and brought it home and cooked the ham he is afraid all the meat will be road kill.
LMAO! We have road kill here, too - coyotes! Maybe I should cook one...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Well, back home, it wasn`t Thanksgiving dinner, or Christmas dinner if there was not mashed potatoes, dressing, and homemade noodles.
Here in the south, everyone looked at me like I was crazy, when I suggested homemade noodles, with dinner.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Here in the south, everyone looked at me like I was crazy, when I suggested homemade noodles, with dinner.
Well, if you ask me most of the so-called "side" dishes to go with the turkey are desserts in my book. Eh, they know I’m a transplant so they won’t have too high expectations as far as traditions go.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:52 PM

I was just thinking that Stuck hasn't been around for a while... Wonder what story he's cooking...

Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
SOS! Thanksgiving side dishes, pretty puleeeze!

Gang, I'm in a pickle. I've been to only a couple of traditional Thanksgiving dinners in my life. Frankly, I don't even like that food and I'm not much of a cook... Looks like at that dinner I'm gonna go to there will be already a turkey and desserts, so it sounds like the side dishes are missing... At first I was thinking of making whatever I can, but then I figured these people are used to their traditions and even my knowledge of them is quite vague, never mind cooking the stuff...

I don't really need to like the food myself. Just looked at the food forum and saw quite a few people hate that green bean casserole I'm not fond of either. Yams I dislike, but can handle cooking if I have to. Mashed potatoes are often mentioned. Is it OK to bring that or am I gonna look like a simpleton? Gimme some ideas for a few side dishes, puleeeze! The easier, the better... it goes without saying!

Btw, I've never paid attention to what the stores sell for Thanksgiving. Short of complete meals, what can I buy? Obviously this idea would be a whole lot better!

Polly, Chow, etc., that's one of your assignments for the next few days!
Hey! I rarely check out this thread so I am sorry I have not gotten back with you! ? My Thanksgivings are rather Southern in taste, so you may not like what I suggest.

Sweet Potato casserole/pie is always good.
appetizers are nice to bring. I made an appetizer that was an apricot with a dollop of a blue cheese mixture and topped with a spiced pecan. They are great finger foods and VERY easy!

Baked Brie wrapped in Phyllo with brown sugar, spiced nuts and french bread is nice...Phyllo can be a PITA to deal with.

My neighbor always makes mini crab cakes with a great sauce. I can ask her for her recipe. My husband loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships