Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:37 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,263,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
My kids moved a lot and have traveled so much that many of their early memories run together. We had 7 houses by the time my oldest turned 9 and many states and cities. Most of their detailed memories don't go back beyond putting down roots.
They probably remember the Mayflower moving trucks and playing in boxes!! We always loved playing in the huge moving boxes as kids. I always liked to tape my brother up in them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:05 PM

534 posts, read 1,595,624 times
I just remembered another one. Christmas..We would have so many people in the house. Anyone else remember the "kiddie table?" LOL. We had so many relatives over, not only was their the kiddie section at the kitchen table, but then a card table was set in the hallway attached to the dining room. Sitting at that table, was almost like being at the grown up table..

I miss those times. My grandparents have all past, and relatives are spread out all over the USofA.

I also remember walking to Cooper Park by our house. My mom would walk with us(Brother, Sister and I)almost everyday in the summer to swim in the little pool they had. My mom would pack a picnic and we would run around all day. They had a ton of playground equipment which was in sand, so there was that to play with too. They had a huge hill that we would go sledding on in the winter along with ice skating at the rink they also had. So much fun!

My mom never worked until I was in Junior High and that was only part time. She was always home when we got home from school. I will forever be grateful for having a mom that was with us all the time and did so very much with us. I take pride in growing up in a time where there were no computers or video games. If you wanted to play a game, it was a board game, cards or something outside. Sometimes I think we spent every waking moment outside. We hated the dreadful call of our names to come home. Yeah, back then we could wonder about the neighborhood and my mom would just call us from the front door. Again...good times good times..

Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,379,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
They probably remember the Mayflower moving trucks and playing in boxes!! We always loved playing in the huge moving boxes as kids. I always liked to tape my brother up in them
I don't know if they do but I do, actually now that I'm thinking about it they had more fun with the boxes than the gift that came in the boxes for Christmas back then. Maybe were on to something.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I don't know if they do but I do, actually now that I'm thinking about it they had more fun with the boxes than the gift that came in the boxes for Christmas back then. Maybe were on to something.
Those are the best pics of my kids...in boxes, wrapping paper and bows! My husband and I always swore we would give them boxes for Christmas one year...but we never did! Maybe we will if the economy gets any worse

Old 09-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Save it for when they get older, actually I think my youngest son would think it was funny. A big box with EMPTY PROMISE printed on it...lol

Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 PM

650 posts, read 2,180,291 times
I remember things from my childhood with crystal clarity. Weird stuff like climbing out of my crib when we lived in NC, (we moved away when I was 11 months old) banging my braces from my feet on the wall in our apartment ( I stopped wearing them when I was 3) and I can name all of the kids in my kindergarten class if I am looking at the picture.

I cannot, however, remember what I had for breakfast yesterday and I lose my car keys regularly because I forget where I had them last....

Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,953,348 times
My memories are sporadic and mostly tied to good feelings (although some sour grapes remain). Some of the things I remember:

- Taking a nap on Sunday's to wake up to Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, followed by.... duh duh duh.. Wonderful World of Disney.

- Working out on a folding chair watching Jack LaLane.

- The Magic Mirror, always waiting for my name to be called.

- Saturday morning cartoons... getting up early and keeping the TV quiet.

And of course holidays. When I grew up, I was raised in a large Italian/Irish family. Often, Christmas and other holidays had to be broken up into two family-hostings. That way you could see all the family. Unfortunately, my career in the military, and the job market overall made the family spread out. I don't even know most of my relatives now.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM

- Working out on a folding chair watching Jack LaLane.

I remember him when he had black hair, in NY that was one of the few shows on TV besides Astroboy and Jerry and Knucklehead I watched.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:18 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,711,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Be nice!! What do you remember about your childhood?? I'm almost afraid to ask...
I thought artsyguy was merely saying it was nice to use the imagination to feel like her father was there with her...

Frankly, I have few memories of my childhood--kind of sad, I think.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I thought artsyguy was merely saying it was nice to use the imagination to feel like her father was there with her...

Frankly, I have few memories of my childhood--kind of sad, I think.
I probably misinterpreted Artsy Fartsy...sometimes we get a bit snarky with each other

Don't be sad about the memories...maybe that means the overall feeling of your home life defined you and not a few give and take crash course memories

I remember cooking with my grandmother, looking through family pictures with my grandfather, bike riding with my friends, the quesy stomach I would have the night before school started, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships