Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Agree 100%.

I have always been more attracted to foreign men, which is why I married one. Unfortunately for me, as he went to a British private school in his native country, he already spoke English when he got here and lost most of his accent rather quickly.

Of course there has to be an initial spark, but foreign men bring intrigue to a relationship right from the get go.

The poster who mentioned marrying the whole family, you are right about that but it is not only asian men. Middle Eastern men are the same. It's a good idea to learn about the culture of the person you are getting involved with.....

I'll tell you one advantage of having a spouse from a foreign country.....Sometimes the inlaws live NO Where near you! And that can be convenient for some people, if you get my drift.... However, when they do come to visit, it can be for a month, two months, three months, etc.... and that can be hard for some American women to deal with, the whole concept of an extended visit from in-laws.

It keeps life interesting, anyway!

Problem with middle eastern guys are they tend to take religion waaaaaaaaaay too seriously. I'm not saying every middle eastern guy is like that, but statistically speaking, middle eastern guys are more likely to be really "into" religion that guys from other part of the world except maybe the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Foreign accents are exotic and are appealing, and foreign men are also quite charming. However I'm not going to get swept off my feet by a man sounding like Hugh Grant or Marcello Mastroianni and go riding off into the sunset just based on hearing his lovely voice. Especially with foreign born men, I would want to meet his family and make such that their culture is compatible with what I want out of a marriage or relationship. I don't want any male chauvinism from him and I don't want pressures from his family to have kids (which I don't) or to have to live nearby to them. One of my friends was married to a Frenchman for over 20 years and had three wonderful sons with him. But she finally divorced him because he was such a mamma's boy and not his equal in making family decisions. She also missed not living in the US and he wouldn't move.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
Problem with middle eastern guys are they tend to take religion waaaaaaaaaay too seriously. I'm not saying every middle eastern guy is like that, but statistically speaking, middle eastern guys are more likely to be really "into" religion that guys from other part of the world except maybe the South.
Hmmmmm, not sure I completely agree with this. But there is a grain of truth to it.

I find they are either quite religious, or hardly at all.

However, with the hardly at all type, there is a good chance that they will get back in touch w/their religion eventually (compared to the average american who is hardly religious, they seem likely to stay hardly religious the rest of their life, they don't usually gravitate back to their religion at some point) It's like "buyer beware". This is especially true of the Muslims. (just so you know) The Coptic Christians, though, ARE usually very religious, and stay that way, however their religion doesn't seem to conflict with that of the general population of the US as much, obviously, as they are branches of Christianity and this is primarily a Christian country. The Maronites (like from Lebanon) seem to be somewhat religious, depending on how you define "religious". I mean the ones I know are members of their church, and go periodically to somewhat regularly, and that sort of thing...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Hmmmmm, not sure I completely agree with this. But there is a grain of truth to it.

I find they are either quite religious, or hardly at all.

However, with the hardly at all type, there is a good chance that they will get back in touch w/their religion eventually (compared to the average american who is hardly religious, they seem likely to stay hardly religious the rest of their life, they don't usually gravitate back to their religion at some point) It's like "buyer beware". This is especially true of the Muslims. (just so you know) The Coptic Christians, though, ARE usually very religious, and stay that way, however their religion doesn't seem to conflict with that of the general population of the US as much, obviously, as they are branches of Christianity and this is primarily a Christian country. The Maronites (like from Lebanon) seem to be somewhat religious, depending on how you define "religious". I mean the ones I know are members of their church, and go periodically to somewhat regularly, and that sort of thing...
being an agnostic myself, I'm quite proud of my no-taboo life style. But nowadays it seems quite hard to find an agnostic/atheist girl, true, not too many of girls are Christian fundamentalists who buy weapons in preparation for the final battle against gays and jews. But so many women choose to be "spiritual but not religious", I mean, what the hell is that? I can never understand what "being spiritual" actually entails. Sound to me they are just as agnostic as me but are afraid to be seen as faithless materialistic people.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
When I meet a woman and find out she's from another country my interest shoots up, like 500% Foreign women are exotic, and interesting. I'm also a sucker for different cultures, so that's definitely a factor. Obviously you have to have other things in common, but for me, a foreign woman--from most areas--is a huge plus

Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Many European accents are sexy ;-)

Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
I love British men. Have never met one yet. Maybe someday!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:06 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Well I'm American though I was adopted so I don't know my history....

But being blued and blondish I have some sort of European ancestry .......so I'll be what you want me to be does that count??????

Come with me and we will explore your alps.....errr I mean go to alps in Europe and explore

Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 PM

64 posts, read 129,220 times
Irish mmmmmmmmmm

Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
great post. sounds like from reading posts like this. that americans can't stand americans.
european men are aggressive towards american women, and the women like it. of course there is a reason why they are aggressive towards american women. romance and love are not the same thing. romance is exciting. love is not. all too often ,love is taken for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships