Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 03:19 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
I HATE SPORTS. (Here by sports, I mean baseball, basketball, especially football, I have no problem with golf, tennis, surfing, scuba-diving or sky-diving, that kind of thing). I know it's a prejudice. But I truly feel men who are REALLY into, say, football, are only marginally smarter than total idiots. I'm an engineer, I never understand modern art, but I would take a tour of art gallery over a football game at any time.
I think my father--lawyer, CPA, CEO of a billion dollar tech company and HUGE football fan, would disagree with you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donica2k View Post
american man watching sport on televesion and bring him beer and watch him get fat and hairy. american man sit and watch television.
LOL this is hilarious! i have to agree that this is absolutely true for a lot of guys!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
I know it's a prejudice. But I truly feel men who are REALLY into, say, football, are only marginally smarter than total idiots. I would take a tour of art gallery over a football game at any time.
i have to agree with you 100%. i know its a generalization, i know it's a prejudice, but in my experience people who are enamored of TV, and people who rate sports as one of the most important things in their lives, really are dull dull dull and narrow and boring to be with.

[PS I know artsy guy asked you out first, but I'll take a number and stand in line too!]

Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I think my father--lawyer, CPA, CEO of a billion dollar tech company and HUGE football fan, would disagree with you...
i don't care how much money a guy has, if he's addicted to TV and following sports he's a loser in my book. Nothing is more boring than someone who thinks that what goes on on TV is of any importance whatsoever in real life, including sports.

If someone is actually playing sports, then they have a life and are actually living life and getting off their butt and doing something. But to sit around watching it and think it is of any real actual importance to anything...booooooooring. Loser.

How ironic that the stereotype of women who sit on the couch watching soap operas and eating bon-bons are ridiculed, but it's no different at all from the men who drink beer and watch TV sports. No different at all. Plug in "soap opera" for "sports" in any scenario, it is the same thing. The only difference is that men get all puffed up and are deluded that football actually means something.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-07-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
i have to agree with you 100%. i know its a generalization, i know it's a prejudice, but in my experience people who are enamored of TV, and people who rate sports as one of the most important things in their lives, really are dull dull dull and narrow and boring to be with.

[PS I know artsy guy asked you out first, but I'll take a number and stand in line too!]
oh, definitely single, and as long as you are a girl, I would take you over any guy, artsy or non-artsy.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
i don't care how much money a guy has, if he's addicted to TV and following sports he's a loser in my book. Nothing is more boring than someone who thinks that what goes on on TV is of any importance whatsoever in real life, including sports.

If someone is actually playing sports, then they have a life and are actually living life and getting off their butt and doing something. But to sit around watching it and think it is of any real actual importance to anything...booooooooring. Loser.

How ironic that the stereotype of women who sit on the couch watching soap operas and eating bon-bons are ridiculed, but it's no different at all from the men who drink beer and watch TV sports. No different at all. Plug in "soap opera" for "sports" in any scenario, it is the same thing. The only difference is that men get all puffed up and are deluded that football actually means something.
I truly think you have severe, severe issues, because you have that much contempt for people who are so into sports (which includes me--sports are pretty much the most important thing in the world to me, which is why my career is going to revolve around sports). Do I have other interests? Certainly. I'm in tune with what's going on in the world, I travel, I love food, I love music, movies and electronics. I just find it laughable that I'm considered a 'loser', 'dim' and whatever other ridiculous titles you mentioned, simply because of how important sports are to me. I could certainly switch it up and call you names based on your interests, however, I'm not immature, and I respect people for liking what they like, whether or not I'm interested in whatever it is...

Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I am not sure if its contempt for sports....but I personally could not be involved with someone who spent too much of their free time consumed by sports. The occasional game, okay no big deal, but every weekend or several times a week in front of the tv, NO WAY.

That said, I also could never be involved with a stereotypical "American" man. Watches whatever sport is in season, drinks beer, prefers hamburgers over Indian, celebrates Easter, probably has not travelled internationally, and is of hot dog and apple pie culture. We would not relate on any of those levels, and it would never ever work. Luckily, not all American men are of this type, but based on typical American culture, no it would not work between me and and the conventional sort.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I am not sure if its contempt for sports....but I personally could not be involved with someone who spent too much of their free time consumed by sports. The occasional game, okay no big deal, but every weekend or several times a week in front of the tv, NO WAY.

That said, I also could never be involved with a stereotypical "American" man. Watches whatever sport is in season, drinks beer, prefers hamburgers over Indian, celebrates Easter, probably has not travelled internationally, and is of hot dog and apple pie culture. We would not relate on any of those levels, and it would never ever work. Luckily, not all American men are of this type, but based on typical American culture, no it would not work between me and and the conventional sort.
You've only got me on the sports. Dont drink beer. Indian food is my favorite cuisine. Don't celebrate Easter. Been to around 16 countries. No on the hot dog/pie culture.
As far as sitting in front of the TV, I try to go to as many games as possible, but if not, I'll watch on TV.

I guess we're not going out?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
OMG......A guy not like sports?? I'm a girl and I LOVE sports....football especially.....You know what they may not be of the upmost importance but they allow you to feel passion for something.....they instill a sense of pride and team spirit. So you know what....sports are important to me and I'm sure other sports fans out there will agree that life would be sad and less fun without them!

GOOOO CARDS!!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
OMG......A guy not like sports?? I'm a girl and I LOVE sports....football especially.....You know what they may not be of the upmost importance but they allow you to feel passion for something.....they instill a sense of pride and team spirit. So you know what....sports are important to me and I'm sure other sports fans out there will agree that life would be sad and less fun without them!

GOOOO CARDS!!!!
I'd bet good money you're taken :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships