Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,061 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much says it. My dd is 8, and I have been separated for over four years from her dad. I am finally getting the divorce, which is something I *really* want. But nothing else in my life seems to be going right, and I am having a hard time feeling anything positive about Christmas. I just wish it would be over with already!

I hate to feel this way around Christmas, but I am so depressed, and I don't want to ruin the holiday for my daughter. I had so many lousy Christmases as a kid, and it's important to me that she doesn't associate any negativity with the holiday. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 07:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
The title pretty much says it. My dd is 8, and I have been separated for over four years from her dad. I am finally getting the divorce, which is something I *really* want. But nothing else in my life seems to be going right, and I am having a hard time feeling anything positive about Christmas. I just wish it would be over with already!

I hate to feel this way around Christmas, but I am so depressed, and I don't want to ruin the holiday for my daughter. I had so many lousy Christmases as a kid, and it's important to me that she doesn't associate any negativity with the holiday. Any suggestions?
Yes. Pull yourself by the straps and try to give her a nice Christmas! You can do it!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:27 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,514 times
Quote:

Honey, just fake it until you make it. I had a bunch of crappy Christmases growing up, too. I'm really not in the mood this year but my kids are still so little and I'd hate to just ruin everything for them. So I throw on the Charlie Brown Christmas cd and decorate until it looks like Christmas threw up in the house. Glitter everything. Bake some cookies even if it is the premade refridgerated dough and watch the fun family movies. When I really need to relax I just put on the reindeer antlers and drink a glass of wine. Or two. If my husband is home then three

Old 12-14-2008, 07:49 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,061 times
Thanks, ladies...I dragged the tree into the house tonight, but it's not decorated, and I don't even feel like it. I just try to keep remembering it's not about me, it's about her.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
Christmas is about love. The love of God to humanity.

Love your child with all your heart.

Put on any sort of Christmas you can and it will be fine. Many a year we had a "Charlie Brown" christmas tree with mostly home made decorations and very skimpy presents. Know what? Those were our most favorite christmases.

So you also can make this one very special.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,842 times
As a kid my Dad was in the NAVY, and I remember 5 Christmases where he was not there. Now I know this wasn't easy on my Mom. The man she loved was gone and missing out on a family holiday. And it showed sometimes, but she still did her best to make those holidays special in their own ways.

I remember one particular Christmas. My sis was 8, I was 6 and my lil bro was 2. None of the grandparents were able to make it to where we were (FL) for Christmas, so it was just the 4 of us. Whenever one of us would get down we would put on a favorite Christmas tape or Christmas video and jam out. And we did a different Christmas craft each night for the 12 Nights Before Christmas as she called it. The crafts were a lot of fun- baking cookies to give to the bachelor/bachelorettes that were unable to visit family for Christmas, she got this airbake clay stuff and we made Christmas figures and ornaments that we sent to Dad once they set. We covered the table in construction paper and drew all sorts of Christmas designs on it and then stapled it into a book. 1 think each night, something for us kids to look forward to, and send to Dad, so that even if it was late, it included him in our Christmas.
When I got older and Dad was out of the NAVY I asked her how she coped after we went to bed and she was alone. She of course prayed A LOT for help, but she also read a lot and just refused to feel sorry for herself.
Last year when my ex was deployed and I didn't get to see him this time of year, it was rough, but I remember my Mom's favorite mantra "no matter how dark it is, this too will pass and the sun will always shine, somewhere." It also helped just to stay busy and throw myself into a myriad of Christmas things: I rang the bell for the Salvation Army, worked at a soup kitchen, animal shelter, church, etc. Working at the soup kitchen really put things into perspective for me...somebody always has it worse so I should be thankful for my blessings and quit feeling sorry for what I thought I lacked and just turn up the radio!

Hope this helps and hope you find your Merry Christmas!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
Focus on your daughter. Decorate the tree together. Make cookies...anything to distract your mind from depressing thoughts. I've done it...you can too!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
Put on some holiday music.

Go out to a public park and play with your kids.

Drive around and look at Christmas lights.

Watch cartoons, comedies, and holiday movies with your kids.

Buy some cute gifts at a dollar store or a thrift store.

Do basic arts and crafts.

Bake food with your kids. Have hot chocolate with them if they aren't lactose intolerant or allergic to Chocolate.

Joke around and act really silly.

Have a friendly conversation with your kid.

Be creative. Don't be such a downer.

Quote:

Last edited by artsyguy; 12-14-2008 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 09:36 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,632 times
Try to find someone in a worse position than you, in any respect. Offer them assistance in some way.

Remembering that there is someone out there has it worse than me always makes me appreciate what I have more.

Just remember that your daughter si only 8. She is not going to remember every minute. Try to find a few fun things to do for the holiday, that is what she will remember.

Do you have family around to spend time with?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
Quote:

Your unselfish attitude for your daughter may end up being the salvation for both of you. The true Spirit of Christmas was God sending his Son to save the world. Putting your daughters feelings ahead of your own is a very Christmas Spirited thing to do. God bless you and I wish you both a very Merry Christmas.

I just read one of the posts that talked about doing things for others. One of my fondest memories from childhood is when we got together a box of things for a neighbor who would not have accepted anything if we had asked; but we put the box at their front door and ran. It was so much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships