Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 AM

82 posts, read 295,861 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been helped by a complete stranger? What are some of the things you've done to brighten up the day of someone you didn't know very well? What's your experience with random acts of kindness?

When we moved to Austin, we were scammed twice. First, with the guy that did our flooring (who took the money without finishing the job) and then now, it seems with the photographer for our wedding who might have taken off with all of our precious memories and our money. With trust in strangers shattered, we were pleasantly proved wrong. We met a homosexual couple who sold us their office cabinets and restored our trust in humanity again. They not only helped us move 3 extremely heavy pieces of furniture out of their house but also drove all the way to where we live to set it down even though they were not obligated to. They even lent us their blankets in moving the furniture to make sure the pieces arrived in our house undamaged.

Some ways to start the chain...
-bring coffee/breakfast to the caretaker of your workplace/school
-be a secret pen pal to people who you think might need encouragement; send them a gift of food/compliment/service anonymously
-Give some attention to those are excluded and alone; be a listening ear
-give positive reinforcement to someone who's struggling to achieve a goal
-or even something as simple as opening the door for someone or letting them go ahead of you in line

I don't really believe in pure human altruism. I know that I am a self-centered person by nature and that I like to do kind things because it gives me a high beyond anything (including chocolates). But a little kindness today is especially vital. It seems like some of us are hanging on by a thread. The economy is down. Homes and lives have been demolished by natural disasters. The future is unsure. You never know when a seemingly trivial random act of kindness can trigger life changing events. I wonder what would happen if everyone did something today.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
I have perfect strangers do things for me out of the goodness of their hearts quite often...help me get my purchases into my car, change my tire on a higway, tell me my water is running from the spigot on my house, the heating and air guy came to the house when I was sick and I went downhill fast so he went got me some ginger ale, hot soup and locked the door when he left. He also called the next day to make sure I was ok.

I like to think I pass it on. I like to do little things for people and help them out...it makes the world, at least my little part of it, a nicer place to be!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Bah humbug!
It seems all the people I come across are just plain psychos bipolar freaks. Maybe I'm in the wrong state.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have perfect strangers do things for me out of the goodness of their hearts quite often...help me get my purchases into my car, change my tire on a higway, tell me my water is running from the spigot on my house, the heating and air guy came to the house when I was sick and I went downhill fast so he went got me some ginger ale, hot soup and locked the door when he left. He also called the next day to make sure I was ok.

I like to think I pass it on. I like to do little things for people and help them out...it makes the world, at least my little part of it, a nicer place to be!
It's so wonderful to know that you were touched by kindness and that people out there still care. You must have been very kind to others as well to have so much come back to you in return.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Bah humbug!
It seems all the people I come across are just plain psychos bipolar freaks. Maybe I'm in the wrong state.
lol What made you conclude that, Mr. Cat?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Bah humbug!
Maybe it is your cranky attitude...others are more likely to be kind to you if you appear approachable... SMILE!!

How are baby Cat and Mrs. Cat doing? Any new pics for us?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnNewbie1 View Post
It's so wonderful to know that you were touched by kindness and that people out there still care. You must have been very kind to others as well to have so much come back to you in return.
You are very sweet to say that. Most people want to please others and if the expectations are set to do good things, most people will, IMO.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Maybe it is your cranky attitude...others are more likely to be kind to you if you appear approachable... SMILE!!

How are baby Cat and Mrs. Cat doing? Any new pics for us?
Pics are pending. I am working on a nice background.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnNewbie1 View Post
lol What made you conclude that, Mr. Cat?
Have you been to Virginia?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Pics are pending. I am working on a nice background.
Sierra is great with photoshop!! Maybe she will help...but the baby may end up with a beak and pladapus feet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships