Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:56 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Oh, I'm originally from PA too, from Pittsburgh, and there couldn't be any two cities less alike than pgh and L.A. I'll tell ya, when I first got out here, over ten years ago now, I thought I'd landed on a different planet. I had lived in other cities, Baltimore, Houston and New York, but L.A. is like no other American city, it's a non-city, and it took me a good five years to really acclimate. It wasn't till I had left L.A. for six months that I started to appreciate it for the unique place it is.

The worst thing about it for me was and still is the weather, the sunshine 300 days of the year, the lack of rain a good nine months in a row, but I'd have to say that the people down here are pretty unpretentious. I know that's not the stereotype, and there are those that come out here to get into show business and some of them can play that role to the hilt, but it's forgivable, when you consider they're just trying to make it, to be someone they've always wanted to be. I do like San Francisco a lot. It's a real city and the weather couldn't be more agreeable, but the limitlessness of L.A. is exciting to me. Eh, it's a trade-off, everything's a trade-off.
Maybe when I move I'll appreciate it here more, but I doubt it. I'm from northeastern Pa, near Scranton. Sometimes it amazes me that both cities are on the same continent!

It's funny you mention the weather, because I hate the weather here too. I just can't get used to it never really being warm and needing to put heat on 365 days a year in the morning because even if it gets up to the 80's it will be in the low 50's overnight. It bugs me that it never rains in the summer and everything is all scummy and it rains constantly in the winter. Plus, I never had allergies before I moved here and I'm a mess here(especially when there are fires). I'm glad you found your spot and you are happy. I'm hoping to move to AZ within a year, hopefully I'll be happier there, it's been my favorite place to vacation, so I hope it's a good omen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katimae View Post
Maybe when I move I'll appreciate it here more, but I doubt it. I'm from northeastern Pa, near Scranton. Sometimes it amazes me that both cities are on the same continent!

It's funny you mention the weather, because I hate the weather here too. I just can't get used to it never really being warm and needing to put heat on 365 days a year in the morning because even if it gets up to the 80's it will be in the low 50's overnight. It bugs me that it never rains in the summer and everything is all scummy and it rains constantly in the winter. Plus, I never had allergies before I moved here and I'm a mess here(especially when there are fires). I'm glad you found your spot and you are happy. I'm hoping to move to AZ within a year, hopefully I'll be happier there, it's been my favorite place to vacation, so I hope it's a good omen.
I hope so too. Good omen, good luck.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
My life has always felt to me as playing a part in a movie. Seems like one day I'll wake up and my real life will begin. However, I was the bad playwright and the movie keeps going, so the wake-up moment is likely to coincide with the time to visit the 6 feet under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships