Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,451 times

Advertisements

Is this statement generally true?

I was at a meeting this afternoon and before it started I was sitting in the corner with four of my friends, who Im not going to lie, they are pretty snobby. I was typing an email on my laptop listening to them talk about how they were not going to go on 2nd dates with guys they met this weekend because either the car they were driving was crappy or their shoes were scuffed or they weren't wearing name brands, blah blah. So one of my friends came up because he heard the conversation and he said to me, "well I guess you wont be interested in going out with my guy over there, he wanted me to introduce him to you but he is doesnt feel like he is at your level."
I didnt even say anything! My friends were talking, I was barely listening!!!

So what do you guys think? Do you hang around people like you? If someone generalizes or catergorizes you based on your friends are they generally right? Do you have multiple groups of friends?
I have friends I go shopping with, friends I go to bible study with, friends I go hiking with, friends I go drinking with, friends I go to drag shows with, friends I volunteer with, friends I go to educational events with...but none of them ever co-mingle with each other! I feel like Im back in high school and Im the neutral one out of all the "cliques" lol. I honestly dont have one friend that will do all of these things with me lol
So Im interested in your thoughts on this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post

I was at a meeting this afternoon and before it started I was sitting in the corner with four of my friends, who Im not going to lie, they are pretty snobby. I was typing an email on my laptop listening to them talk about how they were not going to go on 2nd dates with guys they met this weekend because either the car they were driving was crappy or their shoes were scuffed or they weren't wearing name brands, blah blah. So one of my friends came up because he heard the conversation and he said to me, "well I guess you wont be interested in going out with my guy over there, he wanted me to introduce him to you but he is doesnt feel like he is at your level."

So what do you guys think? Do you hang around people like you? If someone generalizes or catergorizes you based on your friends are they generally right? Do you have multiple groups of friends?
I have friends I go shopping with, friends I go to bible study with, friends I go hiking with, friends I go drinking with, friends I go to drag shows with, friends I volunteer with, friends I go to educational events with...but none of them ever co-mingle with each other! I feel like Im back in high school and Im the neutral one out of all the "cliques" lol. I honestly dont have one friend that will do all of these things with me lol
Maybe the guy wasn't paying that close of attention and didn't realize you weren't making any of the comments??

Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Maybe the guy wasn't paying that close of attention and didn't realize you weren't making any of the comments??
yep thats what happened. And I went over and introduced myself and after the meeting he was like "wow, I cant beleive how down to earth you are!" lol Im wondering how many people I missed out on because they thought I was stuck up based on my friends lol

Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Quote:

Hmn, if the guy is judging you before even hearing you speak then he isn't really worth dating, imo. I have many types of friends, too.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
I wouldn't describe those people as friends... To me they're just acquaintances you share whatever activity suits both with.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I'm thinkin' you need to get the "church" crowd together with the "drinking" crowd and just sit back and watch the fun begin! It's guaranteed to be more fun than watching Sea Monkeys grow!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm thinkin' you need to get the "church" crowd together with the "drinking" crowd and just sit back and watch the fun begin! It's guaranteed to be more fun than watching Sea Monkeys grow!
LOL! you know it actually would be more intersting the opposite way around because the church crowd drinks and they will come to the bars, but the drinking crowd doesnt go to church and brining them to church would be a crazy experience lol

Old 10-27-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I wouldn't describe those people as friends... To me they're just acquaintances you share whatever activity suits both with.
here in Cincy thats true, I never thought of that- I am quick to say friend when I mean aquaintance. But my friends back home in Chicago really are my friends, we all went to school together but those groups is where I see/hang with them the most.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hey now....don't cha' be doggin' the sea monkeys, okay.......and don't make me tell you again

Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Yes. I hang out with people like me most of the time. Other times it is just because I was bored and decided to hang out with those that were "different"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships