Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,002,907 times

Advertisements

why the heck should she have to read his mind??? I hate it when people can't just take care of their own self esteem issues....argh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Sounds like he wants more affection from you and may be slightly insecure. Cut him some slack and go with the flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 02:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali33 View Post
Well, for the most part...I dont find that he says positive things. Sometimes I think he is just using the whole reverse psychology thing, He would say..." I know you hate me but.."...and obviously NOT true...we are good friends, so he has to know that, that is not true..so I would just tell him.." Whatever, you know thats crazy, and not true." But it seems like he just wants to see if I will come out and say...ohhh you know I love ya..dont say something like that.

Or..or he would just say little things about himself that are not good, and it seems like he just wants to see if I am going to sit there and say " Ohh...sweetie...thats not true..dont say that about yourself...but to be honest...I am just not that kind of person. I am not at all saying I am not a person that gives praise when its needed..If I think you deserve a compliment or praise..I will go all out, and do everything under the sun to celebrate something good or whatever, but I just recently started to see that, this guy...he seems to be like looking for compliments all the time...=/

Is he just insecure?? He does not seem that way on the outside...but maybe that is how he really feels or something??
This may just be a habit and he might not even realize that he is doing it. The next time he says something like that, stop him and look deep into his eyes and say... "Do you really feel that way about yourself?" Most likely he will say.... "what?" If he says NO. Then ask him... "Why do you say negative things about yourself?" That way you will know his answer because WE couldn't possibly know why he is doing it.

I'll bet as soon as you draw this to his attention he will stop doing it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM

excuses excuses...........if the guy is so smart why can't he raise his self esteem on his very own????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This may just be a habit and he might not even realize that he is doing it. The next time he says something like that, stop him and look deep into his eyes and say... "Do you really feel that way about yourself?" Most likely he will say.... "what?" If he says NO. Then ask him... "Why do you say negative things about yourself?" That way you will know his answer because WE couldn't possibly know why he is doing it.

I'll bet as soon as you draw this to his attention he will stop doing it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM

596 posts, read 890,975 times
Cut the guy some slack. He's only 21 yrs old. He really hasn't found himself yet. I do like the idea of calling him on it and asking him why he does that. If he is just fishing for complements, there are worse things in the world. If he is really that insecure, he might grow out of it. I was extremely insecure with a low self-esteem at that age. It took me a long time to figure out how awesome I am.

There is another possibility. This could be his way of flirting. This thread brought back memories of that single, dating, flirting time when you analyze everything that comes out of that certain-special-person's mouth. *sigh*

Just enjoy it!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM

I do not feel sorry for you or this guy. If you are insecure work on it on your own time. Stop controlling people. You people are very off beat sometimes....

I learned in life that you have to give yourself your own rewards and your own compliments. Every now and again you will hear good stuff out of people. Sometimes you can request some validation from friends and family....at least you are being honest and upfront about it.
That is my opinion!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Cut the guy some slack. He's only 21 yrs old. He really hasn't found himself yet. I do like the idea of calling him on it and asking him why he does that. If he is just fishing for complements, there are worse things in the world. If he is really that insecure, he might grow out of it. I was extremely insecure with a low self-esteem at that age. It took me a long time to figure out how awesome I am.

There is another possibility. This could be his way of flirting. This thread brought back memories of that single, dating, flirting time when you analyze everything that comes out of that certain-special-person's mouth. *sigh*

Just enjoy it!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,399,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali33 View Post
I am 19 and he is 21
By 29 you will be sick of propping up men's egos. Until then just don't let one drag you down.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Ya like women are so perfect with their lack of sympathy and feministic arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
By 29 you will be sick of propping up men's egos. Until then just don't let one drag you down.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM

596 posts, read 890,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I do not feel sorry for you or this guy. If you are insecure work on it on your own time. Stop controlling people. You people are very off beat sometimes....

I learned in life that you have to give yourself your own rewards and your own compliments. Every now and again you will hear good stuff out of people. Sometimes you can request some validation from friends and family....at least you are being honest and upfront about it.
That is my opinion!!!!!!
I don't remember asking anyone to feel sorry for me. (???) You seem a little hostile today. Is everything okay with you?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
HA HA you have got to be kidding. You cannot have a successful relationship with a man without propping up his ego - on a daily - sometimes minute-by-minute basis. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It's normal for guys to be goofy when they're young. Just be sweet. It's nothing to worry about.
That's the feeling I'm getting too. All my buds from college were like that. They used to crack me up... miss those guys!

Don't read into it too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships