Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I re-read the OP's post, it does not talk about 'flirting' nor was it about pretty women, it was also about good looking men being unfriendly. Granted this is a relationships forum but that doesn't mean all the world's a meat-market.

My neice is a pretty young woman, and I wouldn't recommend her being "inviting to every strange man that comes up to her." But I would be dissappointed in her if she is uninviting and unpleasant to strangers she would meet in say the city of her first career job. If she keeps that up, she might very well end up single and childless at 40 (not that there's anything wrong with that). My little Annie is smart and spunky enough to mix with strangers of all types and stripes. I seriously doubt the Oprahs and Hilarys and Pelosis got to where they are by being buttoned-down, scared and aloof.

And a PS for a worse case scenario... stats show that most rape victims knew their attacker.
Good points.

Yes, I think that the guy was talking about community-type interactions but I am assuming he is heterosexual so he has probably gotten some unpleasant responses from one too many women up there without even acting inappropriate.

And statistics show that men also assault and kill more men than they do women every year but that goes unreported in our media.

If I had a daughter, I would not want guys checking her out inappropriately but I would still teach my daugherter to be nice and helpful to everybody who politely may try to ask for advice or help and to give off a helpful, pleasant disposition. People like people who exihibit positive vibes.

I too have a niece who acts stuck up with her family members when you try to speak to her she sometimes just looks at you crazy and does not say a word. Now just think how she will treat a stranger who asks her the time or asks her for directions in the future when she becomes an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
maybe it's just me but when im walking the streets of chicago, looking at other men isn't a priority or even a thought! i never get why strangers, who are men, look for approval or something like that from other men who are strangers. one thing is on my mind when im checking people out on the streets...and it's always women who i check out, obviously.
I'm not looking for approval, I'm looking for brief mutual entertainment,
aka. small talk (ie. "what's up")

I'm just naturally friendly and I like to say something to avoid awkward silence or simply not having to briefly avert my eyes, since most people here have an unreasonal fear of eye-contact.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
ugly and average people do the same exact thing.

You notice beautiful people being stand offish because you expect beautiful people to be happy and bubbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
This is a trend that I think I just noticed.

Most very attractive people (young adults in particular) seem to have a near-permanent stone-faced expression on their face in public. They either never say anything or never say much and come across to me as very-unfriendly.

Being a young adult straight single male, by default I've noticed this primarily with young women, but I've also noticed this amoung young guys too when I was bored.

Perhaps it is just my area.
The Greater Toronto Area is known for residents to be pretty cold or indifferent to strangers.
Perhaps I'm only noticing this because actractive people tend to draw more attention.

Or maybe I'm on to something...

Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We have to be that way BEFORE you give us any crap!
I agree with Twinkle Toes on this one...

Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I think b/c attractive people have been all their lives taken advantage of and hurt, lied to, just so those that have hurt them could use them and get close to them....they have been the brunt of much abuse and ridicule...sometimes, other women, are very mean to attractive women..., it's hard for a woman who is extremely attractive...and the nice men, are afraid to ask an attractive woman out...so, unfortunately all the jerks gravitate toward them...and she is left with very little to pick from.
Totally agree. Cremebrulee you always make good posts

Old 11-12-2008, 12:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Black_Jack22 - If I got ticked off, it was because you referred to these women as b*tch**. And while being called the "b" word is not ranked as awful as the "n" word, I'm very tired of men that resort to calling women the "b", "w" and "c" words just because she's not interested in going along and doing what they want her to do. So I took your post to mean that if a woman gives you the cold shoulder, she is a b*tch, and I don't think that it's fair or nice to do so. And I also took it to mean that if a (pretty) woman doesn't want to be friendly and get to know you, then that's a sign of her dissing you... but imo it's not a sign of disrespect.
valid point, if the shoe fits wear it. i see this behavior alot. my way or the highway.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM

I totally understand the idea of mis-interpretting kindness...

BUT...

To me, saying "hello", a brief smile etc. to a stranger IS NOT (by itself)KINDNESS.

It's (should be) how normal people are supposed to react to familiar faces in public, provided they have not done anything to upset you.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Creme knows everything and is a genius please listen closely to her very wise words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I think b/c attractive people have been all their lives taken advantage of and hurt, lied to, just so those that have hurt them could use them and get close to them....they have been the brunt of much abuse and ridicule...sometimes, other women, are very mean to attractive women..., it's hard for a woman who is extremely attractive...and the nice men, are afraid to ask an attractive woman out...so, unfortunately all the jerks gravitate toward them...and she is left with very little to pick from.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You notice beautiful people being stand offish because you expect beautiful people to be happy and bubbly.
Could be. Smart observation.

Yeah, some people who look like they're doing well are often also grumpy looking too.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Right on.

The other day I went to a church service and I needed to take a dump and everybody was coming up to me being all friendly and cheery and I was like get away, I need to make it to the restroom to drop off some timber. I'm sure I looked very cold and unfriendly at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Could be. Smart observation.

Yeah, some people who look like they're doing well are often also grumpy looking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships