Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times

Advertisements

If I looked at it as a sacrifice I wouldn't have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If I looked at it as a sacrifice I wouldn't have done it.
Good point. That's just what I was going to say about quitting my job to move to another state for my ex-fiance. I suppose quitting a good job without another one to go to might be considered a sacrifice by some, but I didn't think twice about doing it. At the time it seemed like the best thing to do, and looking back I'd still make the same choice. What I wouldn't do is buy a house with someone I'm not married to, so I can "escape" easier, but with my life the way it was at the time, moving for love was an easy choice.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,948 times
I wouldn't call this a sacrafice but when my mom was sick I was living here in LA and I went home for Christmas to visit and realized how sick she really was. I never left her, but that meant that I abandoned my job, had to spend my entire savings, had to find someone to sublet my place, ship my car to Chicago and a bunch of other things. It was very emotionally draining because on top of the stress of dealing with all my financial issues, I was also coming to terms with my mom's health. However, the reason I say it wasn't a sacrafice is because I don't regret it for a single second. If I hadn't done that, I would've felt guilty for the rest of my life. Yep, best decision I've ever made.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,842 times
Lovely post, Lovely. I tried to rep you but I had already done so.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,331 times
The only huge sacrifice that I made was when I decided not to go to college right away and instead moved to Germany with my first husband. No regrets other than the fact that I was young and did not take full advantage of being in a foreign country and so close to other countries as well.
There are always pros and cons to sacrificing certain parts of your life for another but I try to focus on the positive things and not the negative things. For me, I was able to return to college later on down the road and was able to spend time with my daughter and watch her grow rather than have some day care tell me about her accomplishments for the day.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,332,413 times
I have made not one but many sacrifices in my life.
What did I get out of it? Nothin'.
What did the other people get out of it? A lot.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
I once turned down a delicious Orange Chicken dinner at Panda Express to hang out with a girl. That was about it, though.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
I did give up my first wife for the benefit of our daughters. Someone introduced my wife to the wonders of cocaine. She was immediately hooked. She was missing work. Missing from home. Missing her kids grow up. After putting up with it for a year, i gave her 6 months to clean up her life. She didnt even try. So i gave her a huge house in California, took my daughters and raised them myself while working in the operating room. So yes. i think i sacrificed something. A wife. A social life. And alot of hours of sleep. Now that i see how well the girls are doing as adults, it seems that somehow i did a pretty good job!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,580 times
Good for you, Capt Dan...rep points for that one!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,247,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I did give up my first wife for the benefit of our daughters. Someone introduced my wife to the wonders of cocaine. She was immediately hooked. She was missing work. Missing from home. Missing her kids grow up. After putting up with it for a year, i gave her 6 months to clean up her life. She didnt even try. So i gave her a huge house in California, took my daughters and raised them myself while working in the operating room. So yes. i think i sacrificed something. A wife. A social life. And alot of hours of sleep. Now that i see how well the girls are doing as adults, it seems that somehow i did a pretty good job!
Wow! You are a good man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships