Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:06 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,164 times

Advertisements

How did you end up becoming an alcoholic? I used to be a strictly social drinker, almost teetotaler cuz so few social events I'm interested in actually require me to drink. But now I find myself begin to enjoy the dizziness, if not the drunkenness as a result of alcohol consumption. As a result, I almost always picked up a six pack, or a bottle of gin, bourbon or scotch every time I went grocery shopping over the past few weeks. I still can't force me to like alcohol though, to me, the best tasting drink is ice water. Anyway, Am I on a slippery slope? Am I in danger of becoming a daily drinker? I'm all for having a good time, but I would never allow myself to be under the thumb of anybody , anything or any substance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 04:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
How did you end up becoming an alcoholic? I used to be a strictly social drinker, almost teetotaler cuz so few social events I'm interested in actually require me to drink. But now I find myself begin to enjoy the dizziness, if not the drunkenness as a result of alcohol consumption. As a result, I almost always picked up a six pack, or a bottle of gin, bourbon or scotch every time I went grocery shopping over the past few weeks. I still can't force me to like alcohol though, to me, the best tasting drink is ice water. Anyway, Am I on a slippery slope? Am I in danger of becoming a daily drinker? I'm all for having a good time, but I would never allow myself to be under the thumb of anybody , anything or any substance?
Waving a red flag for you. If you have to come on this forum and ask, I think you already know the answer. Of course you're in danger and if you don't want to allow yourself to be controlled by a substance, back off of it now.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Have you tried Schnapps dude? That stuff is pretty good. I rarely drink because it makes me sleepy but you should try it.

But as for are you alcoholic? I think maybe you are depressed or bored. Maybe you need something good in your life. You know what I mean?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:31 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
My VA doc tells me a couple beers are good fer me. When the weather is warm at times i enjoy some beer when i'm outside enjoying the views of the mountain & the forest critters. I enjoy watching the life grow in & around my basspond......................

Don't Drink & Drive.........................

Old 11-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you tried Schnapps dude? That stuff is pretty good. I rarely drink because it makes me sleepy but you should try it.

But as for are you alcoholic? I think maybe you are depressed or bored. Maybe you need something good in your life. You know what I mean?
I'm indeed bored, and not just a little. I'm bored with my old interests, and I'm looking for new hobbies.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:38 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,946,475 times
Well Ramon,

I'll call you Ramon for the 'noodle' name. Anyways, I think you are just a little depressed like artsy said.

Get out and get interested in something else.... like spin around a baseball bat with your forehead on the handle till you get dizzy and then run. You'll get the same feeling.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
I can relate. Sometimes life can be a real black hole.

Quote:
I'm indeed bored, and not just a little. I'm bored with my old interests, and I'm looking for new hobbies.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Thanks to the likes of MADD, America's perception of what an alcoholic is has changed dramatically over the past decade or so. What was once considered perfectly NORMAL behavior is now considered a problem. There was a time when a man could come home from work, enjoy a couple of martinis or old fashions, sit down to dinner with a glass of wine, and have a brandy nightcap without anyone so much as blinking an eye.

My definition of being an alcoholic is someone whose drinking habits negatively impacts his ability to function. If drinking impairs your work, your family life, your personal life and if drinking becomes the single most important aspect of your day to day existence, then I would say you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Enjoying the relaxing, warm, giddy feeling that you get from drinking is the whole REASON that people have been consuming the stuff for THOUSANDS OF YEARS. There is nothing in the world wrong with it! You're an adult, enjoy yourself.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I can relate. Sometimes life can be a real black hole.
Yeah, I used to be a real couch potato for books. I used to be proud of my broad breadth of reading and all the stuff I know. Now, every time any of the miscellaneous knowledge I learned over the past 2 decades enters my head, I want to break my neck and throw my head into a ditch. Reading used to be my biggest hobby, now I won't touch it with a 10 feet pole. In an sense, I guess I blame my old hobby for causing me to miss out lots of the fun stuff most normal people like. Drinking helps me empty my head.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:54 PM

52,215 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Did somebody say something about alcoholism....

(Pops open a Guinness)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships