Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times

Advertisements

I've been guilty of doing so occasionally when out with some male friends who I suspect or know have other ideas in mind. I've done it for 2 reasons - it hasn't been technically a "date" and I didn't want to leave any trace of hope it might ever be. Shouldn't have, though. They've graciously offered and I should've graciously accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I don't see why not. Women want equal rights, so there you have it.

Uh-uh-uh

Do not clump all of us together with the nutso radical feminists.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
and women spend a lot more on looking good for their dates than the men do, and you know that men want to be with the hottest looking woman they can get for trophy value.
After taking 2 - 2-1/2 hours to just get READY for a date, wasting my makeup on a guy who turns out to be a ******, shaving my legs, wasting my hair spray, perfume and all of the other stuff that makes men visually happy. . . giving the time and energy into putting myself together PLUS maybe buying something a little new for the date. . .

Yep - if he is not working out for me AND turns into a jerk, he is paying. Makes me feel better about getting all pretty for nothing.

If he does not turn into a jerk, I will consider paying half and will offer.

I have done both of the above. Depends on the guy.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:22 PM

37,596 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
Yet another "Who should pay" thread...

Let's say a woman is on a first or second date with a guy, and she knows she doesn't want to see him again. Is she obligated to offer or insist on paying (her share at least)?

Like I said in another thread, I have a guy friend who takes the gesture of a woman offering to pay (within first three dates) as disinterest and he doesn't ask her out again. He goes so far to say that it's a woman's obligation to pay (or offer to pay) if she knows she's not interested in another date. Otherwise, she's taking advantage of the guy.
Well this just seems a bit odd to me. I've never equated my "interest" in the guy as being related to who pays. I really still see no relation there.
If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have gone out with him in the first place. And if the guy is the one doing the asking, then yeah...he's paying.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 PM

37,596 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Uh-uh-uh

No kidding.

Neo nazi feminists are, I think, the exception here - not the rule. I could be wrong, but still, such assumptions are really unfair to those of us that like to put on our sexy dresses, CFM heels, and do everything we can to look smokin' hot for our men.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 12-26-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Uh-uh-uh

Exactly. I didn't ask for this crap just as I didn't ask for any other crap I'm subjected to.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:42 PM

I find it so hard to believe that chivalry is so beaten down that some people have to complain about a couple extra dinner dollars from a woman they most likely asked out to begin with. My view on it is that if you cannot afford dinner, do not take a date to dinner. If $20-40 on my end for dinner is going to break a man, that is not the man for me. Makes me think I will bankrupt the cheapskate by the 5th date. Oh yeah, that is the man I would want to build a life with and eventually support. Not.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:45 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,993 times
50 bucks is worth it if it gets you out of having to actually say "sorry it's just not working out" IMO. lol

Old 12-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
My view on it is that if you cannot afford dinner, do not take a date to dinner.
That's the thing... if you do it a few times a month it's not gonna break anybody's bank. IMO the complainers must be those who want to be out every night with different women and waste their time as they're not really interested enough in them to begin with and pray just for good "date"/score ratio in the meantime.

Anyway, we're digressing as this wasn't Kardoulamou's original point.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:21 PM

473 posts, read 760,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well this just seems a bit odd to me. I've never equated my "interest" in the guy as being related to who pays. I really still see no relation there.
If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have gone out with him in the first place. And if the guy is the one doing the asking, then yeah...he's paying.
Point taken, but the assumption here is that you were interested enough to go out with him, but things said/done on the date made you lose interest.

I'm still scratching my head at my friend's viewpoint. Most guys (on and off this board) think positively of a woman offering to pay; however, my friend views it as a sign that she's not interested. And yet, he is of the opinion that most women are...shall we say...money-grubbing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships