Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,701,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My closets are busting at the hinges and I have no debt, with the exception of my mortgages...so your assumption that I am in debt because it looks like I went shopping with Ivana would be ridiculous... unless you have a credit report and bank statements you never know about someones credit history or debt ratio.
No but I can listen and observe what I am being shown and told and I can figure people out pretty quickly. A woman that has closets bursting at the hinges and has 200 pairs of shoes is someone without a lot of restraint. If times turn bad is she going to keep that spending up?

I tend not to like people that peg the rev counter on extremes. So you buy an occasional powerball ticket, fine. Go to Vegas as much as possible and come back broke after sitting at slots for 72 hours, not fine. Have a pair of shoes for hiking, biking, river shoes for canoeing, running shoes, garden shoes, some shoes for work, Cool. Have the closets bursting at the seams with hundreds of pairs, Not cool. Go out for a run for a few miles, cool. Constantly running marathons, not cool.

And I'm not being judgmental of people that do those things, just that I don't find it appealing.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot and say you just met me and am coming over to my house for the first time and my whole driveway and front yard is filled with a dozen old cars, some immobile. Would that be appealing to most women? Probably not I suspect. And that is the same feeling I get when I see exploded closets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,701,352 times
I'm kind of with you here, my closets aren't busting, per se, but I do like my Coach (or other designer) bag every now and then! I have excellent credit, which says something to the fact of how I pay my bills.
I think that money is important, however, but even more important is credit history, IMO.
There are some who can't manange their shopping and are in debt, and others, like perhaps you and me, can do a little shopping and still maintain our other responsibilities.

Quote:
My closets are busting at the hinges and I have no debt, with the exception of my mortgages...so your assumption that I am in debt because it looks like I went shopping with Ivana would be ridiculous... unless you have a credit report and bank statements you never know about someones credit history or debt ratio.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 AM

I can be with you a little here too. It is almost the same thing, spending lots of money shopping, or spending lots of money to go to Vegas, similar outcome, with the exception of shopping where you end up with something, whether you need it or not!
but I can relate to your feeling about mass quantities of shoes, or old cars or whatever, it can send up a flag. I actually cringe when I see those episodes of cribs or whatever and the closets are overflowing! I know that these people can't possibly wear or need all those clothes! and the fancy sportcars in the driveway, just too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
No but I can listen and observe what I am being shown and told and I can figure people out pretty quickly. A woman that has closets bursting at the hinges and has 200 pairs of shoes is someone without a lot of restraint. If times turn bad is she going to keep that spending up?

I tend not to like people that peg the rev counter on extremes. So you buy an occasional powerball ticket, fine. Go to Vegas as much as possible and come back broke after sitting at slots for 72 hours, not fine. Have a pair of shoes for hiking, biking, river shoes for canoeing, running shoes, garden shoes, some shoes for work, Cool. Have the closets bursting at the seams with hundreds of pairs, Not cool. Go out for a run for a few miles, cool. Constantly running marathons, not cool.

And I'm not being judgmental of people that do those things, just that I don't find it appealing.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot and say you just met me and am coming over to my house for the first time and my whole driveway and front yard is filled with a dozen old cars, some immobile. Would that be appealing to most women? Probably not I suspect. And that is the same feeling I get when I see exploded closets.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I can be with you a little here too. It is almost the same thing, spending lots of money shopping, or spending lots of money to go to Vegas, similar outcome, with the exception of shopping where you end up with something, whether you need it or not!
but I can relate to your feeling about mass quantities of shoes, or old cars or whatever, it can send up a flag. I actually cringe when I see those episodes of cribs or whatever and the closets are overflowing! I know that these people can't possibly wear or need all those clothes! and the fancy sportcars in the driveway, just too much!
Everything in moderation. IMO and my experience, people that have extremes in any area of their life tend to be out of whack or unbalanced in another.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,272,235 times
Quote:

My point was this...just because I have alot of clothes does not mean I cannot afford it, took out a home equity line or charged it at 23%... a closet full is not a sign of poor retsraint.

We own businesses so I have to have a business wardrobe, we go to several formal events every year so I have clothes for that, we have a menagerie of children so I have jeans and tshirt attire, we go to casual get togethers so I have clothes for that, and I like to work in the house, paint, develop film, yard work and I have my junky clothes for that...

With that said, I also keep a majority of my clothes and accessories because I am continually pulling them out and making them work with other things...these are accumulated items...not a shopping spree fit or a sign of lack of restraint.

I have a friend who has inherited 7 full place settings of fine china and if someone did not know her they would probably think she lives in excess but they have not stopped to get the entire story behind her house full of antiques and dishes...

Like I said before, the only way to acccurately assess someones spending habits and credit is to pull a credit report and get their bank statements...otherwise you are basing judgments on assumptions which are not always accurate.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:53 AM

very true!

Quote:
Everything in moderation. IMO and my experience, people that have extremes in any area of their life tend to be out of whack or unbalanced in another.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 AM

I totally agree with you! gee, I'd love to hang out and look around in your closet!!!

Credit history is HUGE for me, I would want my potential mate to have stellar credit. mine is, so that's more important to me than gobs and gobs of money (although, that's ok, too!) It seems like it's going to be a tender subject though, but so necessary in this day and age.

Quote:
My point was this...just because I have alot of clothes does not mean I cannot afford it, took out a home equity line or charged it at 23%... a closet full is not a sign of poor retsraint.

We own businesses so I have to have a business wardrobe, we go to several formal events every year so I have clothes for that, we have a menagerie of children so I have jeans and tshirt attire, we go to casual get togethers so I have clothes for that, and I like to work in the house, paint, develop film, yard work and I have my junky clothes for that...

With that said, I also keep a majority of my clothes and accessories because I am continually pulling them out and making them work with other things...these are accumulated items...not a shopping spree fit or a sign of lack of restraint.

I have a friend who has inherited 7 full place settings of fine china and if someone did not know her they would probably think she lives in excess but they have not stopped to get the entire story behind her house full of antiques and dishes...

Like I said before, the only way to acccurately assess someones spending habits and credit is to pull a credit report and get their bank statements...otherwise you are basing judgments on assumptions which are not always accurate.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,503,830 times
If I cant pay cash for it I dont buy it. Including my cars. I keep 1 credit card for emergencies while traveling. And I got a letter from them last week saying they would cancel my card if I didnt use it within 90 days.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,174,670 times
Quote:
This is so true and again, it comes down to responsibility and maturity levels. In HS my dad gave me a CC and I ran it all the way up to the max....I think he did that to teach me a lesson....scared the crap out of me when he told me I owed him 2 G's lol....of course once I paid off some of it he took care of the rest but OMG it tought me a HUGE lesson. Since then I've always been responsible with my spending.....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM

I agree, lola. I still have my original cc from right before I joined the military. I had a $300.00 limit and thought I was the shi-zit!! , it is still now my only cc, I have just increased the limits over the years. and I have a great int. rate. I even call my credit union from time to time and see if I can get it lower!
I use it for emergencies mostly, You know, that emergency coach bag!! (kidding!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
This is so true and again, it comes down to responsibility and maturity levels. In HS my dad gave me a CC and I ran it all the way up to the max....I think he did that to teach me a lesson....scared the crap out of me when he told me I owed him 2 G's lol....of course once I paid off some of it he took care of the rest but OMG it tought me a HUGE lesson. Since then I've always been responsible with my spending.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships