Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

I felt creating a thread for the In-Law challenged was in need based on the responses for my own In-Law issues. This is for those of us that do not have the best relationships with our in laws, for whatever reason and would like a place to vent, post funny stories or just wanting to share their frustrations. Again, for those of you that love your in-laws and get along great, this is not meant for you and please don't judge us that don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM

O.K. I'll start. Some of you already know some of my woes so a quick backround. Married to the same guy for 16 years, relationship with MIL seemed good for 15 and SIL is a *****. They live in Ca. where we also lived for over 40. We moved for the second time to Ma. back in Nov. MIL visited us once when we lived in Ma. in 2005. We lived with her for four months in Ca. 2007. Your turn.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
This should be entertaining! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/popcorn.gif (broken link)

Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
Well I am the lucky one in laws have only visited us once in 24 years !!! maybe that was because most of those years we were overseas !!!
Husband will never live on East coast too near to them

Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
This one is a story from back in the day.

Before hubby and I were married, we had our rings engraved on the inside with our wedding date and names. Our rings are platinum and unlike gold, apparently can't just be melted down. We also had our invitations printed up, had a location for both the wedding and the reception, had caterers and everything all set for a specific date.

Everyone knew what this date was. One day, out of the blue, my soon-to-be MIL calls me and asks if we would change the wedding date because my husband's brother and his wife will "only have a week to rest after returnuing from their cruise before having to come to the wedding." I explained to MIL that we could not do that because we had everything reserved already and had already paid our deposits, etc. I was trying to be very nice about it and also mentioned that it would be a shame not to see the brother and wife at the wedding, but that the wedding would go on as scheduled.

Who needs a week to rest after their cruise and before a major family event anyway??? They knew the date we set for our wedding BEFORE they booked their cruise anyway!

So, anyway, I guess my answer wasn't quite good enough for MIL. She called back later that evening when STB hubby got home from work so she could ask HIM! I didn't say anything but man, I was fuming!!!

If he would have given in to MIL and her outrageous demands, there would be NO wedding.

As it turns out, our wedding/anniversary date is also her birthday - which I was not aware of at the time. Had I known that, I would never have agreed to the date. Now, before we can think about celebrating our anniversary, we better damn well remember MIL's birthday or all hell is going to break loose. His sister not only calls us, but also emails us several weeks in advance to "remind" us that her birthday is coming up and we better do something for her or send something to her. MIL also calls to remind us of her birthday. By the time we've dealt with the family concerning the birthday issue, we no longer even care to celebrate our anniversary.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
I love after being married for 6 years (together for 11) and after birthing 2 of her grandkids...She still makes me call her Mrs. XXX...and in the mean time, she has gained 2 son-in laws (in the past year) who just walk up to her and pat her ass and say "Whats up Josie?"

Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Time for a laugh. I loved my late MIL dearly. One day she called me, she had just bought a new car, said it would only go about 35 MPH. Would I follow her to the dealership. Of course I would, to save time I told her I would meet her there. She lived about 6 miles from the dealership, I lived about 40. I met her there, she explained to the salesman. He was confused but, walked over to the car. Then he removed the pop bottle from under the gas pedal.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM

I was not permitted to call my MIL Mom when I asked her 16 years ago. My brother in law who has only been married to my SIL for 8 years, can call her mom and does. She loves it.
While staying with her this summer, I asked if my ex-SIL who was taking a bus from L.A. to visit, could spend the night? She said," she isn't your SIL anymore and I don't run a hotel here!" I said that I have known this woman for 38 year (my ex sil) and will always consider her my SIL and that she is still a big part of our family and the mother of my only neice! My MIL likes to make all of her friends think that she has a big heart and will do anything for anyone....as long as they are not her family. We celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary while staying with her too, but she had no idea or remembered that it was our anniversary...still doesn't. She recently had a birthday and my DH sent her an email card from all of us. She called to complain a week later about how my 14 year old didn't call to wish her a happy birthday (which he has never done in his life!) and that he must be mad at her. My husband explained that it probably was because he forgot and that he might be a little upset after watching how badly she treated his mom and dad. All she could say was "too bad". "Then I'll leave him alone". "Too bad" was a favorite of her's when she did something thoughtless.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
The last time we saw my wife's brother Robert was Christmas 2003. He was barred from every setting foot in our house again after he dropped a bag of speed on our kitchen floor after Christmas dinner.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
The last time we saw my wife's brother Robert was Christmas 2003. He was barred from every setting foot in our house again after he dropped a bag of speed on our kitchen floor after Christmas dinner.
Maybe he was just trying to watch his weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships