Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times

Advertisements

Ok here goes the scenerio. You have already been married before and have done pretty well for yourself (have some kind of savings and a home that has a low mortgage and equity built up) Your able to take care of yourself. Now you have met someone and things are getting serious. Discussion of marriage and homes are being discussed. Do you ask for a pre-nup to be signed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM

22,142 posts, read 19,198,797 times
If you feel like asking for a pre-nup then do it. It will bring things to light, and bring up whatever conversation needs to be had for you both to have peace of mind going into the marriage.

It can always be phrased as a "What are your feelings about pre-nuptial agreements?" in the same way you ask about other big issues prior to an engagement or marriage, such as "What do you feel about combined finances?" or "What do you feel about having more kids?" Get it out on the table, like everything else, it shows a willingness and an ability to communicate about important concerns.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times
I think it denotes a lack of trust. I was thinking about bringing it up to my girl, just to see how she feels about them. It's a good discussion point that let you know where they stand on the issue of trust.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
This day and age - nothing wrong with getting a pre nup in place. In fact, i think its misguided not to. If it is never needed, then great, but if it is then its a savior. Doesnt show a lack of trust, just a sign of the times.

G Man

Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times
I don't think it necessarily means a lack of trust (although in some cases, maybe ). One of my friends signed one before she got married. Her husband had significantly more money and other assets than she did and wanted to protect certain family assets. It wasn't that he didn't trust her, but in his case I think his family put a bit of pressure on because of the family inheritance issue. The prenup became null and void after a certain number of years of marriage (which they reached).

If I was marrying a gazillionaire, I wouldn't have any problem signing one. I have plenty of my own money and property and as long as I could leave the marriage with what I brought into it, plus a portion of whatever was acquired after the marriage, I really wouldn't want any of what he brought to the marriage in the first place. That is his, he earned it before we got married and I wouldn't feel entitled to it.

I really can't see myself marrying someone with significantly fewer assets than myself, but if I did, I would want a prenup.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Ok here goes the scenerio. You have already been married before and have done pretty well for yourself (have some kind of savings and a home that has a low mortgage and equity built up) Your able to take care of yourself. Now you have met someone and things are getting serious. Discussion of marriage and homes are being discussed. Do you ask for a pre-nup to be signed?
Absolutely. Marriage has always been a business arrangement.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I think it denotes a lack of trust. I was thinking about bringing it up to my girl, just to see how she feels about them. It's a good discussion point that let you know where they stand on the issue of trust.
And Paul McCartney trusted Heather Mills.

Ask for a pre-nup. If the answer is no, then NEXT--->!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
I would suggest that if you lost your shirt in your first marriage, make sure you don't in your second. After all, isn't the first one a lessons learned?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Many things would have to be taken into consideration before I would consider it.

How much we talking? Is there an expiration date?

I wouldn't flat out say no.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Well, let's assume that Mrs. CPG were hit by a bus and that I could actually peel myself back up off the floor again. If she died suddenly and unexpectedly, our collected investments, properties, and insurance settlements would amount to a good deal of money.

I have three kids, and my first priority would be to safeguard their economic future. So, yes, in that circumstance, I could definitely see the need for a pre-nup as a way to shield my estate from a more cynical operator. I think once my children are safely educated and have lives of their own, then the need for such protection would not be as great.

Of course, a lot has to do with whom you're marrying. If you marry someone of equal economic security, then it is really unnecessary. If, however, you're marrying somebody who is dirt-poor coming into the marriage it may be another thing entirely. After all, while you want to believe that person is marrying you out of love, the tiny seed of doubt is that they are marrying you for money. It's one of the oldest, saddest tales in marriage. After all, my BIL married a woman who was just divorced. As it turned out, she married him long enough to get her credit cards paid off and BOOM. Divorce. He just had no idea it was coming and was financially blindsided as a result.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-19-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships