Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times

Advertisements

Here in the UK, on the whole, there only seems to be one place where people socialize, that is the Pub or Bar, and this is not really my scene.
I do admit that only recently in my life I have found that people also regularly go and visit relatives to chat. This may sound odd, but I didn’t realize this because I have always been an outcast. I have no Aunts or Uncles, and my Grandparents either died when I was young, or were hostile. When I tried to be sociable as a child, by trying to visit those I thought were friends, I met the response of “ we’ve got company”, and had the door slammed in my face.

It seems like we are becoming a nation of Homer Simpsons, is it different where you live?

What opportunities for a social life are there in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I socialize at work during breaks and after work occasionally with my colleagues. I have one neighbor I socialize with and I belong to a women's club that provides such opportunities. I hang out with my hubby, kids, and parents when they are in town and willing and that's about it. When I was younger school friends, my workout buddy, and my dance partner were a big part of my social life, but not so much now. I guess if I had more time I'd join some kind of group or team, but free time is a luxury at this point.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
I socialize anywhere and everywhere, real talk. When I'm in the gym I chit-chat after a workout while enjoying a protein shake. When I'm out to eat, I chat with the staff. I can get down with anyone in terms of conversation

Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I'm a single mom that works full time, so socializing is done as a part of my other normal activities. The workplace, the gym, family events, and wherever me and my BF might go.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Wherever there are people, I socialize. I smile and look into people's eyes as I walk down the street. IF they look back, I greet them. If they look away, I respect their privacy.

In the shops, I take a minute to ask how the person behind the counter is doing. If she answers more than a glum, "fine." I might comment on the weather, or the town. If she engages, we converse. If not, I move on, sincerely wishing them a nice day.

My experience is that even the best of friend's conversations are rarely more than idle chat, and give strangers the same options. If they want to participate, they can and often do. If not, it's not my problem. I assume they are busy, or mentally absorbed.

In my working life, it has always been my job (regardless of the job), to take the "pulse" of the situations at hand. I use light banter to engage people, and then assess the situation on their responses. It's proved a good tool for outside the job, too.

Even people that do not engage are left feeling that someone has been kind and inviting. Regardless of their situations, maybe that has made them feel better, whether they realized it, or not.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Join a club or group.

But don't talk to people in the street. People would think you're weird and just laugh at you, it's not the norm. I think society these days is very impersonal. We don't hang out with neighbours as much, and it's becoming uncommon to make small talk.

I make an experiment to see how many people actually talk in supermarket queues, and thus far not many. Or in buses, trains, etc. I think most people nowadays only care about those closest to them, and couldn't give a hoot about anybody else.

Such is modern society, eh?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Mostly here, it appears.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
What opportunities for a social life are there in your area?
they usually involve the beach, or grilling food outside, or live music, or camping out in the swamp on somebody's land. people know people who know people, and we all get together and have fun.

then of course you have activities. people who surf, or kayak, or play golf, or hunt, or fish, will socialize with one another.

or you can hang out on city data?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
But don't talk to people in the street. People would think you're weird and just laugh at you, it's not the norm. I think society these days is very impersonal. We don't hang out with neighbours as much, and it's becoming uncommon to make small talk.

I make an experiment to see how many people actually talk in supermarket queues, and thus far not many. Or in buses, trains, etc. I think most people nowadays only care about those closest to them, and couldn't give a hoot about anybody else.

Such is modern society, eh?
Must be location. I have conversations with strangers all the time in supermarkets, gas stations, offices. Just this morning while I was feeding the horses, I engaged in conversation with a man walking down the road. Apparently he had a dr. appt. this afternoon and was walking to try to "get his blood surger" lowered by walking.?

In addition to clubs, we visit with neighbors, family and friends, have get togethers, socialize at local festivals, church, work, the local swimming hole, the city park, ball games and even funerals.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
The only friends I have are very few I kept from HS or from work. I have no clue where to meet people. but I think I have a enough quality friends so.. *shrug* My hubby has made a couple friends from rugby. So, yeah join a club!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships