Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I regret turning down the scholarship offer i got from Johns Hopkins. But I didnt think I could raise my girls and go to med school. Sometimes I think that I should have at least tried. Oh well.
How wonderful for you to have that offer, that as an incredible accomplishment, you have my respect and admiration Capt Dan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Darned tootin'. Hey, a little self-esteem isn't a bad thing, right? By the way, without giving us a street address or telephone number, where in Australia are you? It's Australia, right?
Nope, I'm an English woman in Philadelphia!!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Nope, I'm an English woman in Philadelphia!!
Whoops. Not even the right hemisphere. Dang.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Nope, I have no regrets about my past.

I have done so many of the things I wanted to do -
I have never made a life decision out of fear - I've always tried to live by that rule.

In fact my main concern now is that I have fulfilled most of my life goals already, so what is there left to aim for?
lovely to read your list Hoboken, and your Mum is very wise on the fear thing too!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
Quote:
LOL...too funny.

i'm in my mid 20's but i regret playing girls in my eary years (but this is how my friends and i were brought up so i really couldn't change that too much) and i regret not saving more money. other than that, i'm purty good.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Nope - you must have missed my fascinating discussions with StuckPA on the wonderful (or if you're StuckPA; dire) Philadelphia.
We just moved here. Love it..... except for my work, which currently sucks.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
lovely to read your list Hoboken, and your Mum is very wise on the fear thing too!
My Mum is quite a wise person all around really. She's also a really good person. I got lucky in many ways having her as a Mother I think, even though it hasn't always been easy!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,340 times
[quote=CaydenJ;7171696]...anything you regret not doing during your prime; what do you miss the most of about those years? How have things changed in terms of your generation vs. what you see today just in society and children?...what advice would you give the younger you?/quote]

Biggest change I see from my generation to now is the techno advances kids have today. I hope it doesn't let the "gotta have it now" attitude take over every facet of living.

Sure, I have some regrets...but hopefully they were springboards to something better; or at least provided a hard-learned lesson.
Time - that is what I miss the most - time. When you are young you have no concept of how fast it's whizzing past you. Then you wake up one morning in your 40s wondering how the @*$#@*!! you're gonna get all this s**t done!

So that's the advice I'd give my younger self: don't make yourself a victim of procrastination. Listen to your inner voice. Forgive yourself more; but quit making excuses. There is a plaque in my office that says simply:

"You only live once; but if you do it right, once is enough"

Old 01-26-2009, 01:57 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Note to my past self lol
1.Keep your credit looking good,you have no idea how important it will be..
2.Stay in shape!
3.Finish College Get it done and over with in your early 20s, it is harder to do..
When you are older with more bills.
5.Travel as much as you can!
And stay away from crazy girls/bad relationships lol
Besides traveling, which I am dying to do, I've done all of that. (replace crazy girls with crazy guys). I actually think I've played it too responsibly and feel my life is a bit dull. On the other hand, I am the opposite of a drama magnet, so that is good.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaydenJ View Post
Is there anything you regret not doing during your prime and what do you miss the most of about those years? How have things changed in terms of your generation vs. what you see today just in society and children?

ALSO, if you could, what advice would you give the younger you?
Hmm? I'd tell her to stop being so damned self centered and see the need around her. I'd tell her that when we help others is when we feel most a part of society. I swear, I spent way too much time, when I was young feeling sorry for myself. I could have fixed that so easily.

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

What do I regret not doing? I regret not visiting grandma more before she died and my step mother. I regret not seeing that my old neighbor who kept offering to baby sit for me was just lonely. I regret being too independent. Not letting others into my life because I wanted to do it myself and now I wonder where all my friends have gone. People who feel useless in your life leave. I regret that it took me until I was in my 40s' to see it's not all about me and that the best way to feel good about me is to help others AND let them help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships