Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:44 PM

86 posts, read 255,162 times

Advertisements

Ok, I will bite. Interesting thread.
I wish I would not of wasted my time on some people. I was raised in small towns so got to meet genuine salt of the earth honest people. Then I moved to city and did not escape for a long time. Got out before total cynicism set in I think anyway.
I cringe when I think of the young people and think the worse problem is they will not know quality. Quality people and quality products. If they have never experienced this then they will accept subpar everything. Junk everything.
Trying to simplify now and shift down and hopefully find some decent people. Monetary has very little to do with it. I have met trash poor and trash rich and great rich and great poor.
Reevaluating my judgments and my wants and motives as well. I worked in a food pantry and it was a real eyeopener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,670 times
Yes I do...I love my kids to death, but I wish I would have had them when I was younger. Pushing 40 with 2 preschoolers and a 7 month-old is exhausting. If I had them in my twenties, I would have had a lot more time and energy than I do now. Plus they'd all be teenagers now and I'd be free to do more-travel, leisure time, etc.
I also regret not going to college...I couldn't wait to graduate HS and enter the "real world". Now I know why my parents told me not to rush growing up!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Interesting thread...so ok, here it is

1) During my late teens, early twenties I wish that I had invested more deeply in some of my friendships and acquaintances.
2) I also wish that I had been more forgiving to an individual who, at the time, caused me great pain but later was mature enough to ask for my forgiveness.
3) Also regret not embracing my opportunities to explore more of the world at the invitation of friends from other places.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I wish I'd done EcoChallenge when I was really super duper fit (friends went....). I know I could still suck it up....but I don't even stay in hotels w/o room service these days , so not-gonna-happen.

I also wish I paid more attention to the little things as a parent. My daughter swears "everything was fine" and that I was a good parent, but I still have some regrets. Mostly I just wish I could distill some of those moments and really savor and cherish them.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM

378 posts, read 772,131 times
Thanks for this opportunity to post some of my inner demons.

1. I regret not continuing onto med. school, as I always dreamed. Follow your dreams people!
2. I wish I had more kids..they make me laugh..and cry.
3. I regret I didn't invest myself in some of the friendships. They were really good people, and I was blind.
4. I regret my low self-esteem. It made everything more complicated than it really was/is...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:26 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Yikes. While I'm content, and maybe even happy, with my life, I never thought I'd admit this, even (or especially) to myself:

1. I regret turning down a scholarship to Rice University (in Houston) back in the days when a scholarship was the only way to get accepted there.

2. I regret getting married (the first time) when I was too young and naive to know how much work a successful marriage involves.

3. I regret getting married the second and third times ... just because.

4. I regret not pursuing the desire to become an ER physician.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 AM

318 posts, read 820,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Hmm? I'd tell her to stop being so damned self centered and see the need around her. I'd tell her that when we help others is when we feel most a part of society. I swear, I spent way too much time, when I was young feeling sorry for myself. I could have fixed that so easily.

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

What do I regret not doing? I regret not visiting grandma more before she died and my step mother. I regret not seeing that my old neighbor who kept offering to baby sit for me was just lonely. I regret being too independent. Not letting others into my life because I wanted to do it myself and now I wonder where all my friends have gone. People who feel useless in your life leave. I regret that it took me until I was in my 40s' to see it's not all about me and that the best way to feel good about me is to help others AND let them help me.
You last paragraph hits close to home. I regret being blind to the needs of the people around me. I regret not being more interdependent. I regret not buying more gifts for people and showing simple gestures that say that I care.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I could have become a roadie for the band Los Lobos. I sort of wish that I had pushed my rock music interests harder, but it was just a fun hobby at the time for me. Otherwise, I wish that I had bought more vintage guitars back then and not sold my 79 Honda. And there've been a few antiques I should have kept. Oh well. But I've still had a great life, and I've really no real regrets to speak of.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
As far as Im concerned Im in my prime and any mistakes or regrets I have I have either made up for or am making up for.

Life is damn good as far as Im concerned.I don'y fit the mold of what you should do or be at a certain point in time like getting married and having kids and that is cool with me.

I have had one consistant principle in life and that is be as free as possible,no baggage to hold me down.Im am single,free to do what I want when ever I want and use my money for what I want.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Miu's response reminded me of something I regret.

About 13 years ago, my lunatic business partner was notorious for coming up with 100 impractical schemes every day. I mean, before I caught on, I was always doing some absurd nonsense that he had dreamed up without seeing a dime of revenue.

One afternoon, a few weeks before I was going to sever things with him, he comes in and says, "Hey, a friend of mine in Atlanta says there's this band from Canada that really needs a guy to handle all their promotions."

Here I was, working 16-18 hour days while he was skipping out the door every day at 4. I just couldn't handle another marginal account. So I said, "Benn (Yeah, he spelled his name with two ns), I just don't have time to take on something like that. Bands don't have two nickels to rub together."

He said, "Well, they're going to be big one day."

Turns out it was the Bare Naked Ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships