Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 PM

378 posts, read 772,507 times

Advertisements

When we met, dh knew I was the ONE. Be honest with yourself and don't waste time. Would you rather be alone with hope looking for true love, or lonely with no hope in sight? Really be honest with yourself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandfree View Post
So I have been with a girl for about 4 years now. She is the first person I ever seriously dated. While things are great at times, I am not really sure if this is who I want to be with forever. However, things are good enough that I do not want to lose what I have in case I can not find anything better. She wants to get engaged now, but I have been putting it off.

Any advice?
Wondering if your gf is the one or not pretty much tells you right there that she probably isnt the one you want to marry. I think you should know wholeheartedly.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 59,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
That's not reason enough to get married. You must be young. If you can imagine finding "anything better," you're not ready to get married.

You should be honest with your gf and tell her you're not sure. What's your age? Are either of you headed off to college? Already there?

I married my first real girlfriend. Big mistake. I think most people are better off if they date others a little before getting married; of course that's my personal opinion based on my personal experiences.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
We are both finishing up college. We met during our last year of high school and are now 21.

I know I am not ready to get married, but she takes that to mean that I dont love her and never cared about her like she cares about me.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Quote:
We are both finishing up college. We met during our last year of high school and are now 21.

I know I am not ready to get married, but she takes that to mean that I dont love her and never cared about her like she cares about me.
I don't think you're ready either. I'm sure it's a very difficult decision for you, but I honestly believe if she was the right one you'd know it after four years.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
So I have been with a girl for about 4 years now. She is the first person I ever seriously dated. While things are great at times, I am not really sure if this is who I want to be with forever. However, things are good enough that I do not want to lose what I have in case I can not find anything better. She wants to get engaged now, but I have been putting it off.

Any advice?

From one who has been there, my advice is........don't do it.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,435 times
21 is still very young. You have your whole life ahead of you. People change so much in their early 20's vs late 20's. There's nothing wrong with getting married in your late 20's or early 30's.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:45 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Wondering if your gf is the one or not pretty much tells you right there that she probably isnt the one you want to marry. I think you should know wholeheartedly.
I read his post as not being sure if there was someone better because he hadn't dated anyone else yet, not because he thinks there's something wrong with who he's with now.

There's no rule that says you got to date anyone else. Are you happy? How important is it to you to experience seriously dating others? If it is something that you think will always bother you if you don't do it, then do it. If it is not that big of a deal, then assess whether this is who you want. If she is, go ahead and get engaged, but don't get married too fast. Engagement is a time to confirm whether you want to go through with it or not.

I married my only serious girlfriend. I was 24 when we started, and we got married when I was 26. We're in our 15th year now and are quite happy. It can work.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:51 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
Quote:
She wants to get engaged now, but I have been putting it off.
If she is pressuring you into getting married, you are't ready. Period. If this is your first GF you haven't even experienced life, honestly. You've got to experience many different women. You'll meet some new girl and she will blow your mind away literally.

I've been in a similar situation and I just walked out of the relationship. You'll meet new and better people. Guaranteed.

Once you've done the partying and seeing what you really like then that is when you can consider it.

However, I would HIGHLY recommend you look into marriage/divorce laws and see what you are signing up for.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:

Neither of you are ready for marriage. You both still have a lot of growing to do personally. First graduate from college and find work. Or give her a promise ring, then an engagement ring. Don't marry before 25. Don't have kids before the age of 28. Why rush to become old married people? Your adult life is just beginning for the both of you.

It sounds that you are not completely convinced that she's the woman that you want to be with forever though... and don't marry her out of guilt because she says she loves you more than you love her.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 59,486 times
I tried to 'just walk away' once, but she never let me forget how much it hurt her. I ended up just getting back together with her because the breakup was so bad.

Our relationship is pretty good right now, and I could certainly see getting married someday, but I just have a desire to see what else is out there. We have actually talked about it before, but she just thinks it means that I dont really care about her and am just stringing her along, which is not true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships