Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,124,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, amateur sociologist that I am, I'm interested in this. Just as men's notions of attractiveness in women seems to have radically shifted, the same seems to be true for what women consider attractive in men.

Fifty years ago, Cary Grant was the bomb. My mother still swoons over him. However, I think most women today would say, "eh." Men fifty years ago thought Marilyn Monroe was the hottest. I just don't get it.
It's something that can't be defined. Some men just have it. Tom Cruise had it too before he went all whackadoodle.

You don't find Marilyn Monroe to have been hot???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
It's something that can't be defined. Some men just have it. Tom Cruise had it too before he went all whackadoodle.

You don't find Marilyn Monroe to have been hot???
Nope. Not a bit. I'm an Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelley, and Eva Marie Saint kind of guy when it comes to women of that era. Heck, even Donna Reed when she had a couple of bad girl roles.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,124,914 times
Attractive at all? I just can't imagine anyone looking at Marilyn Monroe and not finding her physically beautiful.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Attractive at all? I just can't imagine anyone looking at Marilyn Monroe and not finding her physically beautiful.
Oh she had what the English used to call Barmaid looks. I just prefer elegant. What's more, watch North By Northwest during the scenes on the train, and you'll see that Eva Marie Saint was approximately 453 times hotter than Marilyn Monroe ever thought of being.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Well, amateur sociologist that I am, I'm interested in this. Just as men's notions of attractiveness in women seems to have radically shifted, the same seems to be true for what women consider attractive in men.

Fifty years ago, Cary Grant was the bomb. My mother still swoons over him. However, I think most women today would say, "eh." Men fifty years ago thought Marilyn Monroe was the hottest. I just don't get it.
Johnny Depp in particular doesn't do it as much for me personally as I'm attracted to different features, but he does exude all of the above in addition to being very exotic-looking. Men will never get it. Charisma is not really something one can cultivate. You either got it or you ain't.

Even his name (don't know if it's his real name) sounds cool. Somehow Herbert Horowitz doesn't have the same ring to it.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Johnny Depp in particular doesn't do it as much for me personally as I'm attracted to different features, but he does exude all of the above in addition to being very exotic-looking. Men will never get it. Charisma is not really something one can cultivate. You either got it or you ain't.

Even his name (don't know if it's his real name) sounds cool. Somehow Herbert Horowitz doesn't have the same ring to it.
A good point. But you could also say that the movie stars from other eras had charisma, too. Yet they just wouldn't be considered all that hot today. How have attitudes changed so that a Johnny Depp is now hot? I know there's not a good answer to that, but it's just an interesting question.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 PM

440 posts, read 1,682,898 times
Yeahhh I don't find anything appealing about Johnny Depp OR Brad Pitt. I think Johnny Depp looks as if he needs a bath, and Brad Pitt is too "pretty".

Now, Josh Lucas

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
What do women want?
Freud has been famously quoted, saying; "Despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, I have not been able to answer the great question, what does a woman want?"

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I can see how men find her attractive, but I don't. She looks cheap to me and her insecurities are quite transparent.

Quote:
A good point. But you could also say that the movie stars from other eras had charisma, too. Yet they just wouldn't be considered all that hot today. How have attitudes changed so that a Johnny Depp is now hot? I know there's not a good answer to that, but it's just an interesting question.
Well, every era has its look. Women used to look different, too. In the past the emphasis used to fall more on elegance, manners, values, etc., while now primal hotness seems to be more trendy.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What do women want?
Freud has been famously quoted, saying; "Despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, I have not been able to answer the great question, what does a woman want?"
How could he when we don't know it?! Just kidding. We know what we want - we want it all! Unfortunately, "all" never exists in one man. And we're in a constant internal struggle which part to go with... the one appealing to the brain or the one appealing to the heart and umm... other organs . Of course, same goes for women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships