Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 72,035 times

Advertisements

I don't want this to turn into a big flame war about people not wanting kids being selfish or some other nonsense. I'm 31 and I just do not want children of my own nor do I have any desire to be a father or father figure, etc. I really do like kids but just do not want them for a variety of reasons which I will not get into. I think one should REALLY REALLY want them before having them/taking on that huge responsibility.
So anyway, I'm not into wasting my time or anyone else's by staying in relationships that don't seem right, etc. I'm also not the crazy type who tries really hard to make things go real fast right from the start if I really like someone. It takes time to get to know someone and get into something serious.
So for those of you like me who don't want kids and don't have any desire to be a parent, when you are dating someone that you really like, at what point to you bring this up to them? Obviously with internet dating you can usually state in your profile that you don't want kids so people that do want them or people who aren't sure if they want them and find that a concern can avoid you. But when you meet someone "in real life" as they say you may start dating before you know where they stand on this matter. Generally if they already have children you are usually going to find out right away of course.
I've really babbled away here but I'd like to hear about how others like me bring this up during the dating process.
Please let's make sure this doesn't turn into a flame war about having kids vs not having kids. People want different things in life.

Also, to those of you who *do* want kids, at what point do you generally bring up this topic with someone you like a lot that you are dating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Before we start dating.

She might have kids already.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times
And if you know she doesnt have kids I would mention it as early in the relationship as possible. Not sure how you would introduce it but maybe during small talk, at a movie or something. Oh look at those kids playing in the water, they look so cute. So what about you? Do you think about kids? How many would you like when the time comes? Me, I love them but do not want any of my own.

Its out, now you know how many if any she wants and vice versa.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:53 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
I assume you would not be dating someone with children.

That said, I think you should touch on the subject fairly early on. Another assumption - If you are dating a woman in her late 20s she is right in the child bearing years. So, if you really don't want them you may be doing both of you a favor by being clear on that point. There is not point to wasting anyone's time.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:57 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
And if you know she doesnt have kids I would mention it as early in the relationship as possible. Not sure how you would introduce it but maybe during small talk, at a movie or something. Oh look at those kids playing in the water, they look so cute. So what about you? Do you think about kids? How many would you like when the time comes? Me, I love them but do not want any of my own.

Its out, now you know how many if any she wants and vice versa.
Yup. And do this on the first date, casually. Don't put her on the spot in a way that might make her hide her true feelings. If she's really into you, she might lie about how important having kids are to her, just to keep you dating her.

If she wants kids, of course break things off right away. Don't let her get emotionally attached to you.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:02 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Be upfront about it early on. And, most importantly, make darn well sure you're using foolproof birth control -- be sure not to simply take her word for it!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
The problem is that early on, particularly if they're sufficiently infatuated, many people don't pay too much attention to what is being said in passing and/or think they can change the other person's mind later. It applies to any issue. Obviously, after you've said how you feel about something, it's no longer your responsibility how it's taken, but such things do tend to happen.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:20 PM

31 posts, read 72,035 times
Thanks for the replies so far. Generally I try to bring it up pretty early on but it can turn into a heavy discussion and heavy discussions aren't always great early on when you are trying to just hang out and have fun. As I said and someone else also said, I don't want to waste anyone's time. Or my own. But dating is very much of course about living in the now and just enjoying yourself. It's a balancing act.
I did once date someone with kids but I shouldn't have in that case and will not again. No offense to those of you with children of course!

Last edited by liquidsmoke; 07-18-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 03:30 PM

52,280 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Also, to those of you who *do* want kids, at what point do you generally bring up this topic with someone you like a lot that you are dating?
You could talk about that f ing kid down the street that won't shut the F up, and how happy you are that you don't have kids.

Subtle as a sledgehammer.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:32 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You could talk about that f ing kid down the street that won't shut the F up, and how happy you are that you don't have kids.

Subtle as a sledgehammer.
That would definitely work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships