Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
So you believe that higher education teaches girls how to have sex without having children?

I must not have taken that class

I realize there's a correlation between no kids and higher education - but I do not see a cause-effect relationship.
No, this is often taught much earlier. However, its only LEARNED by some.

In my opinion, there is still a myth circulating among the uneducated set that all they need to do to permanently (that's about 5 years) attract a man is to have his kid. This stopped working when their grandmothers did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Higher education does not teach women how to have sex. Rather women who go into the ranks of higher education typically are intelligent enough to know to use birth control. And believe it or not, highly educated women have just much sex as their lower class counterparts.
The big difference here is future time perspective.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:56 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Pimp,

I know whaat you mean man. I feel the same way. I am 35 and it's TOUGH to meet women over 30 that have not been divorced or that do not have children.

I met a girl last week that was "expecting" a newborn and she was trying to get me to "come over".......I said gee-whiz people have no bounderies!

I know what you mean. I don't see any little Ron's in my future.

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I just need to vent a little frustration. I am out in the dating game giving 100% just like most single guys in their mid-20's, but I have hit a rut lately where every attractive, single woman I meet has at LEAST one kid and was never married to the father.

Don't get me wrong. I love kids and want to have a family of my own someday. If I were in my 40's and still single, I would accept the fact that there probably aren't going to be too many childless women in my dating pool. But at 26, I'm just not ready for a ready-made family.

So here is my question. Doesn't ANYONE wait to get MARRIED before they have babies anymore? Mitt Romney caught some flack for saying basically the same thing at CPAC last year, but the man is right. Take it from a 26-year-old male who is tired of his dating pool being saturated with kids. Time for the lifeguard to blow the whistle for adults-only swim.

End rant.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,798 times
I don't think that it's just about the higher "classes" knowing about birth control. That's part of it, but it's also that if they get pregnant, they get an abortion. Unlike poor neighborhoods, it's still pretty socially unacceptable to be pregnant in college, too young, etc.

Who Has Abortions? - Forbes.com

"But, based on 1992 data, an estimated 43% of women now of childbearing age will have had at least one abortion by the time they are 45 years old."

"A survey of 10,000 women undertaken in 1995 by the Alan Guttmacher Institute shows that abortion occurs widely among all races and classes. In 1995 almost as many white women from households with annual incomes above $60,000 had about as many of that year's 1.4 million abortions as white women from households with incomes below $15,000. "Highly educated people are less likely to have unintended pregnancies," says Stanley K. Henshaw of the New York-based Alan Guttmacher Institute, "but they are also less tolerant of them."

Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Quote:
I just don't think it should be this difficult to find a pool of classy, attractive, and CHILDLESS women in such a large and fairly metropolitan city. I am outgoing, educated, have a good career, no threat to Brad Pitt but the looks decent wagon didn't pass me by completely, and I certainly have no trouble approaching women. Why am I having such trouble finding "keepers" who don't have kids?
I do not know much about your city...but I would start hanging out in upscale, young professional happy hour type places to start. Go to arts and culture programs, evening events, or offer your time to volunteer...

Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 PM

657 posts, read 1,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Pimp,

I know whaat you mean man. I feel the same way. I am 35 and it's TOUGH to meet women over 30 that have not been divorced or that do not have children.

I met a girl last week that was "expecting" a newborn and she was trying to get me to "come over".......I said gee-whiz people have no bounderies!

I know what you mean. I don't see any little Ron's in my future.

R

can't get em "double pregnant"

Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
I have to agree with you on this. I used to advocate the "pro-life" mentality a bit more, without putting a whole lot of thought into it, and basically excepting those women who were raped or the pregnancy would otherwise pose a serious threat to their health (more so than a normal pregnancy). But the reality of the situation is people who can barely afford to live without kids should not be having kids in the first place, ESPECIALLY those who are on government assistance.

Abortion is not a fun option, but when it comes down to it, if you're not married and/or you can barely support yourself, it is a necessity. I don't care how much you want a baby, if you can't afford it/support it, you can't have one. If you're in that situation, get an abortion. Carrying to term and putting the baby up for adoption is not an option, there are already too many children out there waiting to be adopted to have you throwing another into the mix. Carrying to term and having the rest of the nation pay for your child and you is not an option. So to those who would say "taking a life is wrong no matter what"... which is more wrong, aborting a child that has no consciousness, or forcing the kid into a life of poverty where it will be starving for table scraps for the rest of it's life (that's called torture, by the way)?

You have no business asking for the rest of the nation to pay for your children. The woman with 14 kids should have a forced hysterectomy for the nonsense she's pulled.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, as is my brother halfway across the country. Trying to find an intelligent, single woman who has (at the very least) no kids and preferably never been married is like finding a needle in a haystack.

I don't personally believe in abortion........The real solution is not to have sex unless it is with someone you can depend on to take care of the possible children. If you have any doubts, don't do the nasty.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Yeah!!! For some reason people seem to forget it takes two to tango. It's just that more often than not, the mother has full custody because the men are busy putting their horses in other stables.

True that mothers usually have full custody, but only because in the rare instance that the unmarried father wants it, he will not get it unless the mom is in prison or something extreme like that.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Don't make me puke! What a thread!

Many females "cooperate" in getting pregnant or do something to get the "oops" so then to manufacture property after the cake is finished baking and then collect Monthly Child Annuity(ies) for 18 plus years.

Many females don't want the father living with her as she's looking for another sucker to do the same to collect for another 18 plus years per child I mean property, "just the Annuity payment(s)".

I don't buy into the she's independent yadda-yadda-yadda garbage. More spending money per month via Monthly CS Annuity payments makes her world go round and too bad most of it doesn't go to the children.

No, I don't have any children whatsoever - just enough real face to face sobering discussions with actual people from both sides about this very subject.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,724 times
Quote:
Your screen name holds the answer. Educated, career-minded singles have the good sense to visit the "rubber factory," or secure another form of birth control, before having sex with someone with whom they haven't planned to start a family.
Worked for me all these years...common sense, the pill and condoms worked well in my 20s and 30s and for my new husband as well; My husband and I dated for 3.5 years and never once went without protection the whole time...it actually impressed me how much self control he had...that was one of his attractive qualities. Neither of us wanted to marry someone with kids already...we are now working on the first for both of us and it is great to share this new experience together and to be doing so at a stage of life where we can afford it. Though now in late 30s I am hoping we won't have fertility issues like many of my professional late 30s early 40s friends/colleagues have had who also waited to be married first and getting there took a long time. Husband grew up not knowing his father and my parents were married (got married when they found out I was coming) and divorced when I was 12....we both would have rather gone without kids than have them out of wedlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships