Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,972,633 times

Advertisements

Hypthetical situation - I am out of town and my girlfriend goes out to a bar with my brother. While there she meets a new guy and they exchange numbers. The next day they go bar hopping then go there seperate ways. Nothing improper takes place. When i get home i hear a lot of things about this new guy and it makes me a tad jealous which is not usualy a trait that i have. Anyways, since then we, as a couple have gone to hang out with this guy a couple times and seems like a pretty decent dude. When we were out together last weekend she felt the need to text this new guy to see what he was doing? Also, the night before, after he left from hanging out with a group of us at our house to go to the bar, she continued to write him and wondered about joining him at the bar. I am 100 % convinced that nothing wrong has happened and she is merely making a new friend, which is always a good thing. I also think that for 99% of couples this situation probably wouldnt work, but why shouldnt it?

G Man
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times
I'd be a uncomfortable with that as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:27 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,332,413 times
Totally unacceptable.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:27 AM

And why exactly? Really nothing improper is happening and i always think that having friends and meeting new people is good and healthy. But i agree it can cause some negative feelings....

G Man

Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Totally unacceptable.
Why unacceptable?

G Man

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,332,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Why unacceptable?

G Man

Because that's how "one thing leads to another thing".

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times
It's a matter of respect. I would be concerned about the level of interest so soon. Meeting him at a bar while you were out of town and going to hang out with him alone the next night is a bit much.
It's not appropriate.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Because that's how "one thing leads to another thing".
Well if you trust the person and dont believe that is going to happen, then just because some people cheat doesnt mean it is going to happpen in this situation, now.

G Man

Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's a matter of respect. I would be concerned about the level of interest so soon. Meeting him at a bar while you were out of town and going to hang out with him alone the next night is a bit much.
It's not appropriate.
And thats what i thought as well, but she has a lack of real true friends. Most of her friends are also friends of mine. I think its good to meet new people and make new friends. Just because this may be viewed negatively by some, doesnt make it inheriently wrong... does it?

G Man

Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM

Let me add another note to the story - last summer i spent a lot of time with my guy friends, esp this one dude and we became really good friends. Still spent a lot of time with my girlfriend but we spent a lot of time apart as well. She would go out with her best girl friend and they frequented a bar often. So i guess they made a lot of new friends there and would go over and crash at this guys house after the bar often as well. I had no problem with this. Well then my girl friend and her best girl friend had a falling out. She continued to go hang out with this guy from the bar who basically became her new best friend. She would stay over there and hang out over there a lot, especially when i was out with my friends. I never met this guy and at one point when i was home i said i would go with her and she told me she wanted some time alone with friends, which i said was fine. So after about 8 months or so i still had never met the guy and told my gf that i would like to. Well i guess the guy didnt want to meet me and she is no longer friends with him. Ideas?

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships