Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call your female friend/best friend? [most often]
My friend 14 37.84%
My best friend 8 21.62%
My girlfriend 11 29.73%
Other 3 8.11%
I don't have female friends 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Occasionally I will hear a young female refer to her female friends as girlfriends, but it does seem more common for older women to use that term.

I am curious, though, as to why you feel the need to clarify what the term girlfriend means to you when you get to the parlor? People make assumptions all the time, regardless of whether you are heterosexual, homosexual, somewhere in-between, or all of the above. That is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Thanks for the input doll
You're welcome, girlfriend!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:23 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Sometimes I use "friend" and sometimes I use "girlfriend". Sometimes I say BFF.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
Since I am a lesbian, I refer to a friend as friend or best friend. My partner is referred to as girlfriend unless someone still needs that explained, then she is my wife.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My husband is my best friend, so I voted "my friend;" however, when my best friends were female, I did call them my best friends and not just my friends. I don't use "girlfriend" in non-romantic ways, but I know people who do.

I'm curious: If you and this girlfriend are a couple, was this woman implying something about how couples massages are not for gay people? I don't know if I am reading too much into what you said.
I don't think she was implying that, I guess she just assumed since I said "girlfriend" I meant a platonic friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Occasionally I will hear a young female refer to her female friends as girlfriends, but it does seem more common for older women to use that term.

I am curious, though, as to why you feel the need to clarify what the term girlfriend means to you when you get to the parlor? People make assumptions all the time, regardless of whether you are heterosexual, homosexual, somewhere in-between, or all of the above. That is life.
I won't clarify what the term means to me but it won't be some big secret when we get there that I am with my girlfriend. I guess maybe this particular massage therapist is not used to having same-sex couples come in since her first assumption was that I had a husband. I would have preferred her not have made any assumptions and just asked what type of couples massage: hot stone, deep tissue, thai, etc and not, "Oh, you and your husband?"

I know assumptions are made all the time but I get sick of being seen as heterosexual. In real life, when most people look at me, they don't think lesbian. Once most people find out the most common reply is,"But you don't look like a lesbian!!" [Assumption: all lesbians are butchy and ugly]

Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
I'm kind of tired of having to change vocabulary because of somebody's lifestyle. There used to be a time when "gay" meant joyous. I'm not about to wonder how to call girlfriends just because it may give the wrong vibe.

Yesterday there were a few random stabbings here in town. In the first article I saw the suspect was desribed as "dark-complected"... Hell, I'm dark-complected being in this sun all the time! Then another source stated African-American or dark Hispanic. Well, scre*w PC! I wanna know what kind of a man is about to stab me!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times
I will almost always say "friend." "Best friend" sounds too middle school and "girlfriend" is only used by older people, in my experience. If I'm being sarcastic, which is pretty often, I'll say "BFF."

Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm kind of tired of having to change vocabulary because of somebody's lifestyle. There used to be a time when "gay" meant joyous. I'm not about to wonder how to call girlfriends just because it may give the wrong vibe.

Yesterday there were a few random stabbings here in town. In the first article I saw the suspect was desribed as "dark-complected"... Hell, I'm dark-complected being in this sun all the time! Then another source stated African-American or dark Hispanic. Well, scre*w PC! I wanna know what kind of a man is about to stab me!
Lifestyle?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 AM

422 posts, read 649,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
X________cosign. On topic, I say my friend Sonya.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post

I know assumptions are made all the time but I get sick of being seen as heterosexual. In real life, when most people look at me, they don't think lesbian. Once most people find out the most common reply is,"But you don't look like a lesbian!!" [Assumption: all lesbians are butchy and ugly]
Your sexuality is a part of who you are, but ask your self this; are you a lesbian first and a human being second, or third, or fourth, etc.? Your sexuality does not define you as a person, and if it does, then be prepared to live a life of frustration. Unless someone is using your sexuality to discriminate against you, to heck with what they say.

And, if you do not like the reference that this woman used towards you, why don't you take your business elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships