Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times

Advertisements

ha ha I hope you are being flippant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Because--'aren't we all'.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
ha ha I hope you are being flippant.
For entertainment today, against my better judgment--I turned on the TV--the Lifetime Channel--

This weekend's features--

-'Wedding Date'
-'Monster In Law'
-'Spanglish'

Some excellent examples of 'narcissism' there--if that is what you want to call it. I've really given up.

Bernie Madoff is probably narcisstic --the list is really endless.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
ha ha have you ever seen the Jerry Springer show??

Quote:
For entertainment today, against my better judgment--I turned on the TV--the Lifetime Channel--

This weekend's features--

-'Wedding Date'
-'Monster In Law'
-'Spanglish'

Some excellent examples of 'narcissism' there--if that is what you want to call it. I've really given up.

Bernie Madoff is probably narcisstic --the list is really endless.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
'Selfish'

I think we are in agreement--Anna Nicole, Casey Anthony, Michael Jackson--something along those lines.

I once visited a Web MD mental health site and couldn't believe that so many people have received these diagnoses and often post 'pages' of their experience with mental health. I don't question that such personality disorders exist but some of these problems are related to substance abuse and dysfunctional families.

What to do--what to do?
I think that could be people self-diagnosing but I don't see a problem in that. I'm sure many or most of problems like narcissist personality is related to dysfunctional families - a coping mechanism but that doesn't mean the person isn't messed up and next to impossible to live with.

What to do? Nothing really except stay away from such people when ever possible. There are probably some people like machochists who can deal with these types. I suppose it's possible that two narcissist personalities together could have a better relationship but in any case most people need to run from a relationship with one.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Creme, I'm saying this with love and understanding (you know that)...

You should stop obsessing about this and let it go!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 AM

598 posts, read 2,075,140 times
Hey Creme - well, a true narcissist (like narcissistic personality disorder) can't really be helped in therapy.

Narcissistic traits are a little better.

Bottom line - I wouldn't be in a relationship with them.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Creme, I'm saying this with love and understanding (you know that)...

You should stop obsessing about this and let it go!

Fine, I'll ask that this thread be closed.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Fine, I'll ask that this thread be closed.

It's an interesting topic, jmo.
For whatever reasons relationships are difficult, mental health/science can only offer some assistance--counseling/medication and so wrong choices are being made by many.

The internet allows some anonymity and so I believe it is good to ask for opinions. Most at CD have enough regard for others to respond courteously.

I wish I had some better ideas for you but the only thing I have learned is that you need to be 'self-protective' and when it seems you endlessly give then it is better to stop--as difficult as that may be.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Well, I'll try to apologize before it's closed. As I said initially and later to creme, I didn't mean it in any bad way. It's really a waste of her energy to constantly think about that DIL. Nothing is going to change.

I'm not saying the topic itself is not worth discussing. My post was based entirely on the OP's situation.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
In defense of creme, sierra, its not that easy to just let it go. I was in a relationship for over 10 yrs with my stbx who has narcissistic personality disorder. It almost destroyed me. It really helps to talk about it and research it so you know your not alone and you are not the crazy one.

If talking about it enlightens just one person to the traits of this diorder then its a good thing. I spent years into the marriage not knowing WTF was going on. When I finially heard others' accounts and researched the behavioral traits things fell into place for me and I was able to not lose myself in his deception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships