Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times

Advertisements

You compare the rate relationships breakup today compared to 20-30 years ago the change is huge. Obviously there are a number of reasons but a main one for mine is Unrealistic expectations.

People generally have a much lower tolerance for problems/issues today than historically. Take this forum as an example look at how many people wouldn't see someone because they are a smoker? 60% from memory.
I can't talk as I'm one of those 60%. That is just one Isolated issue, there are so many.

Feedback welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:54 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
There are more people on the planet than there were 20-30 years ago.

Every year the longevity in rates increase.

Women became more independant breadwinners than 20-30 years ago - thus not making it necessary to be married to support herself.

People get married in a church, but don't get divorced in a church. - anonymous

Attitudes toward divorce are more flippant.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I think one of the main reasons relationships don't last is because women don't know how to maintain them anymore. Let's face it, most men don't have a clue in this area. Women used to have their mothers and grandmothers give them advice and guidance, but since the divorce rate went up in the 70s, it's a little difficult to get advice from someone who is also divorced - sometimes more than once!

I'm going to quote Dr. Laura here, who says the key to a successful marriage is two-fold -

1. Choose wisely.
2. Treat kindly.

If you don't do the first part well, then you can do the second part all day long and it won't make any difference whatsoever. (That was my marriage.)

I also read somewhere that while men are slaves to their egos, women just recently developed them. Egos are great in the workplace, because that's how we strive for perfection. At home, though, egos are detrimental, because all they know how to do is compete and competition kills relationships.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Take this forum as an example look at how many people wouldn't see someone because they are a smoker? 60% from memory.
I'd be one of those 60%, it just stinks.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:05 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
It's because of "Cha-Chinnnnnnnng" aka: $$$ for one gender that starts with a "W" or "f" whom file 70 - 75% of the divorces.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
People don't fight to stay together like past generations did. Marriage was for life, divorce or separation was not done or frowned upon. So people stayed even if it meant unhappiness.
Divorce being acceptable by society makes people give up easier. Plus people want everything now, they don't want to work towards anything like in the "old days"...

Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I also think it's due to people marrying later. In the past, marriages were more likely made between age 19 and 25, young adults moved from their parents' home to their home with their spouse with less time on their own or with same gender roommates. By marrying young, the couple grew up together, their first big life experiences were made together, the memories they made were with each other, and they believed in committment early on, not just when they got old.

Now people want to wait until much older before marrying, they want to live on their own and have everything, do everything, travel everywhere, and they want to shack up with a number of different lovers before they decide on marriage. Once someone gets "too set in their ways" it makes it more difficult to change in important ways.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
People marry for happiness.

Yeah, they think getting married is going to make them happy.

However, marriage is something that you make happy.

Like a person that brings a dish to pass at a gathering. You bring something to the table that is good and enjoyable. If you are just the one coming up to the table and all you do is complain....well, you'd better check yourself.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I also think it's due to people marrying later. In the past, marriages were more likely made between age 19 and 25, young adults moved from their parents' home to their home with their spouse with less time on their own or with same gender roommates. By marrying young, the couple grew up together, their first big life experiences were made together, the memories they made were with each other, and they believed in committment early on, not just when they got old.

Now people want to wait until much older before marrying, they want to live on their own and have everything, do everything, travel everywhere, and they want to shack up with a number of different lovers before they decide on marriage. Once someone gets "too set in their ways" it makes it more difficult to change in important ways.
There is nothing wrong with waiting.

I think it is a good thing. Let people grow up. Get mature. Find out who THEY are and then they can contribute to a happy relationship.

My Dad hunted, fished and all kinds of other things. When he got married he was over and done with those things. He now wanted to move on to a different chapter in his life. Spending time with his wife. They are still married over 40 years.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Statistically, people who marry younger are at greater risk for divorce compared to those who wait. Age, income, and education level are all important factors to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships