Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM

18,029 posts, read 27,479,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Not everybody is like that Livewire. If I see somebody with a ring, and I don't care how friendly she is, I'll keep my distance. I look at it this way, if I were married, how would I feel if somebody made advances on my wife?
Thank you, Mike! Nothing like giving us the benefit of the doubt, huh? It works both ways. And when it worked on me, I was told to chill and that Karma would get her. Darned if that wasn't exactly right. In two years she had a fistful of felonies in her lap, 13 to be specific. "All the girls get prettier at closing time, they all begin to look like movie stars..." Oh, and another fav! "But you got her, and that makes you the winner..."

How would I feel? I'd have echos of Mr Saturday Night Special dancing in my head. Oh, and
Gimme Three Steps too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM

22,237 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You can tell all kinds of things, such as if her money is new or old--or if she has much at all, what her personality is, if she's confident about herself as a person, if she's trying to hard to not look her age, if she's working too hard to get attention...the list just goes on and on.
i would say a list like this shows that the person posting it judges people and sizes them up on those things, that the person posting such a list is extremely interested in and conscious of those specific things in their own life, and uses them in measuring people

otherwise those items wouldn't register at all

Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Next time you're with a bunch of women and a totally new woman enters the room, watch what they do. They scan the new woman from head to toe in about two seconds and categorize her instantly. Some are a little more harsh than others, but it happens.
i guess the crowd this person posting hangs with does that

for a whole lot of people, including myself, this does not happen at all

so speak for your own circle, but not for "all women" because it is not widespread. It may be widespread in circles where people judge others on money, looks, jewelry, possessions, clothes. That simply speaks to what you value in your circle, in your life. Not at all to what behavior women engage in.

Jewelry doesn't even register on my radar, it never has. Not a big deal.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
i would say a list like this shows that the person posting it judges people and sizes them up on those things, that the person posting such a list is extremely interested in and conscious of those specific things in their own life

How wrong you are. Again.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM

here's how i tell if someone is married, i ask, "are you married"
but then i prefer clear direct communication

too many people i know don't wear jewelry due to their occupations
so it's not reliable for anything other than, well, whether they are wearing jewelry that day or not

Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
i guess the crowd this person posting hangs with does that

for a whole lot of people, including myself, this does not happen at all

so speak for your own circle, but not for "all women" because it is not widespread. It may be widespread in circles where people judge others on money, looks, jewelry, possessions, clothes. That simply speaks to what you value in your circle. Not at all to what all women do.
Again, wrong. Maybe you don't look at what other people wear, which I think is complete baloney on your part.

Tell you what, Dim. I'll call your bluff. At the next social/business occasion where you don't know many people, wear a burlap bag with a nice little rope belt as an accessory. Then we'll see how you're regarded.

What's more, it works pretty much in all strata of society, from its upper reaches on down. Sorry I thwarted another opportunity for you to play holier-than-thou.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe you don't look at what other people wear, which I think is complete baloney on your part.
what is so hard about accepting that other people do things differently than you do?
what is so hard about simply admitting "i do things this way" and "you do things that way"

Quote:
You can tell all kinds of things, such as if her money is new or old--or if she has much at all, what her personality is, if she's confident about herself as a person, if she's trying to hard to not look her age, if she's working too hard to get attention...the list just goes on and on.
if that is how you judge people, then that is how you judge people
but to say it is "complete baloney" when someone says
they do NOT engage in those behaviors, nor do they hold those values,

seems to say that you don't believe the person,
and that everyone must behave as you do

what is so hard about just owning your own behavior,
and letting others speak for themselves?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-13-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Do you guys pay attention to that?
Married guys notice. When I was single I didn't even know which finger to look at.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:15 PM

18,029 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
i would say a list like this shows that the person posting it judges people and sizes them up ...

and uses them in measuring people

Oh how spiritual of you. So are you saying it's wrong to judge people? If you spot it, you got it and all that jazz?

How would you explain this hypothetical situation? I'm sitting there and I see some guy pull a knife and start charging me. I'm gonna judge him. What's that about?

Quote:
Don't take my word for it. Next time you're with a bunch of women and a totally new woman enters the room, watch what they do. They scan the new woman from head to toe in about two seconds and categorize her instantly. Some are a little more harsh than others, but it happens.
I'm not gonna judge all women a certain way, but I hear some women who have the guts to say this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by some women with the guts to say
I don't like other women. I consider them competition.
Now that obviously doesn't describe all women. These are typically the women who hang with guys and befriend other guys because they just don't trust other women... or consider them competion. I say this is more instinct or "human nature" than anything and as Dimsum would imply, some women just rise above this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Married guys notice. When I was single I didn't even know which finger to look at.
Good point. I didn't even think about this perspective because it's been so long since I first walked down the aisle.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-13-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
How would you explain this hypothetical situation? I'm sitting there and I see some guy pull at a knife and start charging me. I'm gonna judge him. What's that about?
huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships